Classic guns. Whats your favorite?

12-34hom

I was browsing thru some online sites that provide sales of guns over the net.

There were your everyday type firearms, but once in a while i'd run into what i call a classic, its lines, reputation, price, still command the repect it deserves.

Guns like, Winchester Model 42 410 shotguns, Belgin Browning Hi- Power pistols, Differing rifles from makers like Weatherby, Winchester, British Double Rifles etc...

What are your "classic" favorites? If you own any please post image if possible!

Thanks for any replies.

12-34hom.

C.R.Sam

Used an early Winchester 21 for a while. Wish I still had it, could trade it for a house.

My prettiest was a .405 Winchester side by side double. Looked like a little .410 skeet gun.

Sam

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Favorite I've ever owned? My C96 "Broomhandle"; 1930's commercial production. Unbelievable fit and finish; mirror-like bearing surfaces; every line plumb, every corner square; not so much as the slightest indication of a suggestion of a hint of a toolmark. Made a modern SIG-Sauer look like it had been made in a junior high metal shop.

Favorite I own now? My Mauser HSc. Considering when it was designed, the neat details like the internal slide release that automatically drops the slide when a mag is inserted and the faired-in hammer are just pure sci-fi.

One I most want right now? A flop-top Springfield in .45-70. Just gotta find the right one.

Most likely to be a future classic? My Mateba Unica 6. Original, scarce, funky, and well-made.

MatthewM

I don't have one yet as I'm still collecting what is "needed" and not yet moved on to "want". I think this would be an excellent rifle to hand down to a grandson.
ps: I grew up with a Model 42, my first real gun. Best one I've ever seen.

Browning "Take Down" .22

Scarborough

I had a Colt New Service 5.5'' .45 Colt. Just about new condition with Ajax ivory polymer grips. Real pretty. Unfortunately the beast was way too big for my small hands and hurt like blazes when fired. It is gone but not really missed.

Marko Kloos

A classic: the *&* Model 19 "Combat Magnum", the perfect synthesis of balance, power, looks and practicality.

sw19small.jpg

Last edited:

Fred Hansen

My Winchester model 1895 takedown rifle in .405 W.C.F.:cool: T.R.'s favorite "Big Medicine" gun. I have got to get a digital camera.

7th Fleet

My Springfield 1873 Trapdoor 45-70 rifle and matching carbine and in a hand gun, it would be my first year of production 1911 Colt manufactured in 1912.

7th

SnakeLover

Too many "classics" too choose from, so broke 'em down by type ;).

Lever Action Rifle - Win M73 in 44-40 or 32-20
Bolt Rifle - Pre 64 Winchester M70
Pump Shotgun - Win M12 or M42
Double Shotgun - Win 101
Auto Shotgun - Browning A5 "Sweet 16"
Semi Auto Pistol - Colt Ace
Revolver - Colt SAA .45

Have some on this list, but always looking for more.

Snake

Bob Locke

Once I get my kids through college and don't have any other need for the money, I'd like to get a Holland & Holland double rifle chambered for .600 Nitro Express.

I'd also be quite content with a nice Sharp's rifle in .45-110.

kehrby

I have several that I really like. A Winchester Model 42 that I inherited and really enjoy shooting, that was before I even knew they were supposed to be a classic. Now I like it even better. Also I have a Beretta Super Sport .22 that will nail anything within 100 yds. Don't know if its a classic but I've never seen another one like it:)

straightShot

Hmmm...

Not one mention of an M1 Garand? It's definitely one of my favorites, and I guess that it's getting old enough to be a "classic".