Classic gas tube looks for Saiga .223...

If they are available, which company is suggested? I have no idea whether an AK-74 tube would fit and operate correctly, or even with tubes from any other Saigas or AK clones.

Whether for looks or slightly better cooling, it would certainly a bit more appealing as with my SKS' gas tubes.

cptbhern

Carolina Shooters Supply has the gas tubes that will allow the standard AK 47 top handguard, I think they are around $45.
They also have a lower handguard retainer that will allow you to use the standard lower handguard for around $49.

amd6547

When I converted my 5.45 Saiga, I considered swapping gas tubes and adding a bolt on retainer and classic furniture.
I did the rest of the conversion and put that part on hold. In the meantime, I found I like the Saiga forend.
Now that magpul has their AK stocks out, I may go to the forend they make, which doesn't require the retainer, and call it done.
The classic "look" isn't important to me.
If you do want to proceed, I see ads for gas tubes often in the classifieds on the AK site. A standard 74 tube will drop right in. There was also someone selling a bolt on retainer that looked better than any of the other ones I looked at.

Thanks. My gun will remain all-original, unless such a small component is changed.

Such a selection means that various AK-derivative gas tubes are always interchangeable at both ends, no matter who manufactures a given brand?

Also wondering whether the plastic handguard has a tendency to overheat.:confused:

Last edited:

P71pilot

I did the handguard conversion on my 7.62x39 saiga. Required some fitting of the back of the gas tube. Fits very tight now and looks nice. From what I remember the stock saiga handguard is so thick that it did not really overheat for me, I just wanted my saiga to look similar to a current issue AK so I did every thing but the muzzle brake. I used the dinzag handguard retainer which is the strongest available, but to this day I regret filing a notch in the top of the barrel. I love how my rifle looks I just do not like that I reduced some of the thickness of the barrel

Thanks for the clear details. Quite frankly, I seldom use tools for anything, and have abs. no desire to tinker with guns in ways which require any experimentation.

It's a relief to know that the plastic Saiga handguards have little tendency to melt with conservative shooting precautions.

Last edited:

chris in va

I like the Saiga handguard as well, more hand purchase real estate. The guys over at Saiga-12.com have really gotten creative with cutting slots in the guard, you should have a look.

An example: