Citori vs Steel Shot

Drue

I have the opportunity to buy a Browning Citori that was originally purchased new in 1985. Does anyone know when the Citori began to be made tolerant for steel shot? In the event that I might use it foe waterfowl would steel shot mess up this gun?

Thanks

Drue

Will Beararms

Drue either way, you can hunt waterfowl with it.

If this weapon has the invector choke system, you can use steel shot just don't use any choke tighter than Modified.

If it does not have the invector system, you can shoot Bismusth, Kent Tungsten Matrix or Hevi Shot Classic Doubles in 2-3/4" and get the same performance as 3.5" steel or better performance than 3" steel. I have personally experienced these results.

jmr40

I'm going to say, probably OK, but I'd check first. The federal mandate on steel shot started in 1991 and steel shot had been mandated in many other places for years before that. Most manufacturers knew the law was coming years before and most guns made by 1985 should have been steel shot safe.

Probably wouldn't hurt to check with Browning first however.

BigJimP

Browning, I believe, introduced the Invector Chokes in 1983 --- but thru 1988 there were still guns produced with Fixed chokes as well ...especially in some of the "field guns" - similar to the current Citori Lightning model - and I believe in 1988 all production went to the Invector Choke system.

So like others advised --- it depends... on whether you can shoot steel shot in that gun or not. You need to know if its fixed or if it has screw in chokes..

Personally, I wouldn't buy it if it doesn't have screw in chokes in it ....it just won't be as versatile ..../ or the price should be discounted significantly. The last used Citroi Lightning model I purchased was made in 1988 and has the Invector system in it ....I paid $ 600 for it / it had some handling marks on the stock - but it was a clean gun ( about a yr ago ) .... 12ga, 28" barrels. Today list price on the Lightning model is $ 1,900 but in my area, new in box, they're selling for around $ 1,650 ....

http://www.browning.com/products/ca...type_id=461&content=citori-lightning-firearms

Note: the newer and current screw in choke system on all of the Browning Citori models ( and the Cynergy models for that matter) is called the Invector Plus ...and the 2 systems are not compatible ... The Invector Plus system started showing up on various models in about 1996, I believe.

Last edited: