Cimarron's model P

Jump boot

I am considering the Cimarron model P because you can get it in 44 specl. A choice is given for frame type.One is listed as Old Model Case Hardened and the other choice is Pre War Case Hardened.Can you discribe each for me?I emailed Cimarron but am not getting any reply back which, by the way,may chage my mind as to the company that I buy from.I will consider other 1873 Colt replicas under good advice as well. Thank you.

Dfariswheel

Everybody uses different terms, but in this case I "think" that Old Model refers to the original black powder type frame with the screw in the front of the frame retaining the cylinder base pin.

The Pre-War probably means the smokeless powder frame in which there is a spring-loaded plunder in the lower front of the frame that retains the cylinder pin.

Cimarron, like almost everyone else, sells Uberti made guns.
The Cimarron versions are Uberti's top-of-the-line in fit and finish.
Uberti is known to slightly vary the quality of finish for various retailers depending on what price they want to sell at.
Cimarron's guns are the best quality.
Other top quality versions are sold by Navy Arms and under Uberti's own name.

EMF and Dixie seem to sell the slightly lower quality finish models.
Given a choice, I'd go with Cimarron.

Jump boot

Thank you Defariswheel,
Is one model better then the other,or more reliable per old model vs. the pre war model ?

Dfariswheel

As above, the only real difference is the method of retaining the cylinder pin.

The old black powder Colt's used a screw and the newer smokeless powder models used the spring-loaded plunger.
Strength-wise, there's no difference.

The only possible difference is, the plunger cylinder retention sometimes "may" have a problem with the cylinder pin working it's way forward under recoil, while the screw type stays put better.

However, the plunger type is easier to remove the cylinder from, while the screw type needs a fitted screwdriver to remove the cylinder, and you have to be very careful not to "dink up" the screw head.