Chronographs...

Searched, but didn't find much.

I'm in need of a Chronograph and there seem to be a lot of different brands and models to choose from. What chronograph are you using or would reccomend.

More importantly, which ones would you stay away from?

I've been looking at the Shooting Chrony Beta or Beta Master, but reviews seem to be all over the place.

Thanks for any input/help.

PS

zplinker

Bought my first Oehler in the late 70's, now have had the model 35P for over 20 years, and it is first rate. Another case of you get what you pay for.

cryogenic419

I've had a Shooting Chrony Beta Master for a few years now. I think it does quite well in the sensing velocity department. I take the numbers it gives me, punch them into my ballistic calculation program and its always dead on when I shoot the target, so I am going to assume its reading the velocity correctly. My only real complaints are this, accessing the features/menus built into the thing are kind of a pain, surely there has got to be a simpler way. Wireless capabilities would be nice as this thing uses what appears to be an ancient archaic telephone cord to transmit the data from the sensors to the readout/system brains box. I dread the day this cord goes out and I try to find another.

Nathan

My shooting chrony does a fine job of giving me velocity and statistics on a single string. I use an alpha master. The master is worth it to put the remote at your finger tips.

jepp2

I use a Shooting Chrony Gamma Master with the ballistic printer.

I have been very pleased with it. The ONLY time I miss any readings is when I have a low sun angle that shines on the sensors. If you shade the sun you will never miss a shot. I normally shoot with a clear blue sky. That is less than ideal conditions.

Having the readout on the bench and being able to forget a shot, clear a string, or whatever is available right where you want it. I like having the printer to print the string and statistics then just staple them to the target. Once I have it set up I don't need to go back to it until the end of the range session.

Since I haven't used others, I have no way of knowing if the same sun conditions would cause them problems or not. But I would think it would.

I understand the wide difference in reviews on chronos. Makes it more challenging to pick the right one.

I'm liking the portability of the Shooting Chrony and I would definitely get the master version as I am limited to a public range and walking past the firing line to read my velocities is a no no except every 20 mins during the cease fire.

The price is not bad either...

RickB

I have the Alpha Chrony, and have been very pleased with it. Not a lot of features, but I like the simplicity.

wogpotter

P.A.C.T.
I've had one of the older model 1s for decades & its never missed a beat.
When you (or your friend) shewts the screens they are dirt cheap to replace, like about 2.00 per, or 8.00 for a set of shade extensions.

I like the looks of the CED 2 and the fact you don't have to string wires/cables across the ground. It's not much more than the Beta Master either... will do some more research on it, but I like what i'm seeing so far.

BillM

Nice thing about the CED is that the parts in the line of fire are relatively cheap to replace. The control box is right in front of you, and it will interface
with your laptop and has a lot of functions built in. I pretty much just use mine
for working up loads for my USPSA guns---and one of the reasons I bought it
is that you only see ONE chrono at the chrono station at major USPSA
matches---the CED Millenium II.

Kimber84

I have a chrony as well, for what it costs I'm certainly happy with it. I feel like I use it on a regular enough of a basis, but I really can't see needing the interface to be much simpler to use.

I suppose in the world of touch screen phones it seems antiquated, but it gives you the data you need quickly and concisely.

hooligan1

I just bought a Competition Electronics Pro Chrono Digital, haven't shot over it yet but it's a necessity if your a serious handloader it's pretty helpful I'd say.. but stay tuned?!

jepp2

Dang, got all excited thinking it was all wireless... Still looks like a better user interface than the Shooting Chrony.

Not sure I would see wireless as having an advantage over wired. I see the "disadvantage" of a wired connection as none.

I cannot disagree the manual for the Shooting Chrony to leave something to be desired. But I have to really ask, did you read the computer manual before using your new computer? It is so intuitive that I don't see the manual quality to be a factor.

The Pro Chrono is a very good one for the money and Midway runs them on sale for $100. There is logic in buying a chrono with seperate skyscreens so that if you happen to shoot them, you don't destroy the entire unit. Since I do my chrono work from a rested position on a bench, I don't much worry about that. Competition Electronics recommend that you set the chrono so that you're firing at 2/3rds above the unit. There are remote accessories if you need them and the Pro Chrono is used quite a bit for testing loads for competition. If you want the best, buy an Oehler. If you want the best value $ for $, buy the Pro Chrono. You might want to look at the reviews on various chrono's at Midway's website. ;)