chronograph... recommendations, most stabile for outdoor use

looking for a new Chronograph... ( anything will be an improvement my current one is one of the 1st made, that doesn't have sky screens, you shoot through a set of 2" holes on paper cards ) which I mistakenly shot a gun that wasn't sighted in, & hit the wire for the display... time to upgrade to something with a larger area :eek:

I have my own rifle & pistol range, & looking for one that works well ( or suggestions for making them work better outdoors ) alot of the reviews I read, are about poor performance outdoors on sunny days...

if they are all susceptible to issues outside, can a small piece of white bedding sheet be laid over the sky screens if it's not too windy to blow everything around, to help the problem...

any thoughts or suggestions appreciated

mehavey

The Oehler 35 is the industry standard, and works in just about any conditions I've ever put it through over the last 14 years.

Rain, snow, cold, hot, X-bright, Real-dim... all except when a spider built its web in one of the sensor wells... :rolleyes:

looked at the full kit on the attached link... looks like a lot of stuff, if it packs in a double rifle case... ( maybe more cumbersome than I'm looking for ) as I'm ditching my hard double rifle cases... if the stuff could fit in a chest style case... it's a little over my hoped for budget though...

mehavey

I've got mine (including single-point Bogen tripod) all packed/preassembled into a single medium shotgun case.
Goes into/comes out of the car trunk like any other rifle case. Sets up w/ screens in about 90 seconds.
My understanding that they now come with their own case.

As to budget, it helps to consider it a lifetime investment./ :D

Nick_C_S

I use the Chrony Beta. Got it at Midway. I use it all the time. Works like a champ. I like the display at the shooting bench - a must, as far as I'm concerned. I don't need printers, or anything like that; but I think it can optionally be hooked up to one. I'm old school and write every reading down on paper anyway.

Does anyone know the difference between the Shooting Crony Alpha & Beta units ??? do they function differently, I'm reading both descriptions, & haven't noticed a real difference yet ??? other that outwardly the beta looks to have one piece rods, & maybe heavier sky screens ???

ok... printed one, & read it against the other...

alpha does one string from 2 to 32 shots beta does 60 shots divided into six strings of up to 10 shots looks like beta can be switched off, & turned on later to review data

thing that worries me, is many have lots of both 1 star & 5 star ratings... don't know if that is quality control issues or shooters skill / expectation levels ???

Last edited:

nemesiss45

I use the Chrony Beta. Got it at Midway. I use it all the time. Works like a champ. I like the display at the shooting bench - a must, as far as I'm concerned. I don't need printers, or anything like that; but I think it can optionally be hooked up to one. I'm old school and write every reading down on paper anyway.

+1, a bonus is that you can pack it in thw box which is about 4x4x8". Add a tripod and that's all you need. I opted to build mine a custom case in a little plano box for added protection and ease of packing.

my old one fits in an a 50 cal ammo can... really too bad I shot it... this is a tool I could use a lot... hate to wait till I could afford the Oehler & hate to waste $125.00 on something that doesn't work well... I write everything down in a gun specific shooters note book, so I don't need the printer or computer upload

also, I already have a chrony table I built, that is 12 ft long, with adjustable legs, so I can adjust the table to shoot through the chrony, & still shoot groups down range

BRIAN... that looks really interesting... I sent them my e-mail address... any idea what the projected cost will be ???

realistically I'll buy one of the cheaper units, & save up for this one, if the reviews are good...

flyguy958

I have a Beta as well. Works fine for long guns and arrows, but I can not get it to work for hand guns. It may be "operator" error but I have tried everything I have been told.

The other annoying problem is if at the range another shooter fires a round close by I get an error. I don't know if this is typical but it is annoying.

CED looks like a good option at a reasonable price.

rclark

I've got a compact F1 Chrony and it has been working like a champ when either cloudy or sunny, hot or cold. And you don't have a separate box to fool with. Just fold it open, install on a camera tripod and add the poles and defusers. Doesn't get any simpler. I can 'usually' read the big numbers at 9-12 feet from the bench unless getting dark. A spreadsheet at home takes care of 'running the numbers' for SD/ES/Max/Min etc. Oh, I did a back to back test with another brand chronograph and they were in synch within a few fps, so accurate enough. Another reason I like it is it is so compact, it fits in a field bag. I can't compare with other brands, as I haven't tried 'em, but this works for me. Oh, most all my usage to date is with handguns.

salvadore

I bought a pro chrono pal this year, my first chronograph. You have to supply your own tripod and nine volt battery. I believe you can shoot an infinite number of rounds and get the high and low and average fps. No printer etc. very casual and simple. You would have to really try to shoot it and it was inexpensive.

coldbeer

I'm holding out for the Magnetospeed sporter model that will supposedly be available mid summer for around $200. The bayonet style chrono just looks much more practical than lugging a tripod mounted chrono around.

Magnum,

You still had a break-wire chronograph that was working? Cool!

When folks say their unit works great, they usually actually mean it appears to work great. To know if it actually works great, you need to cross-check the calibration. Putting a unit up in tandem with another, so you can see the same bullet read by both, is the only means readily available to most people. It is something you can maybe do when you spot another chronograph unit being used at the range. They should be of different makes, so you don't duplicate errors.

I have done that with my Oehler 35P with the screens at 4 foot spacing and my CED Millennium (M1; earlier unit) with 2 foot spacing and had very good agreement. Bryan Litz also reported very good agreement between the Oehler and the newer CED M2, as well. In my case, I'm talking less than 12 fps difference pretty consistently, shooting bullets that lost about 3 feet per second between unit screen centers. In many instances the difference has been as little as 4 fps, and I suspect how carefully I tighten the Oehler to its EMT pipe beam is the main variable. I've also done the tandem test with my father's early model Chrony, and got 200 fps difference. If you get a big difference, all you know is that one of the units isn't right.

One way to determine which unit it is, is to fire Match .22 rimfire over both from a rifle. .22 Match tends to be within 50 fps of its claimed velocity when fired from a rifle. That's partly because the huge expansion ratio makes chamber variations less significant. Also, the .22 LR is out of steam about 16 to 19 inches down the bore, but it slows only gradually for a number of inches after that. So, if your barrel is 18 inches to 24 inches or so, it will all be within that 50 fps tolerance and is about as close to an absolute reading as you will get with any degree of convenience.

There is, somewhere on line, a John Barsness article on optical chronographs that is worth reading. He recommends not getting one with less than 2 foot spacing. The CED has a 2 foot beam, but it is hinged in the middle. It all packs up into a canvas carrying case you can buy as an accessory. It's very compact.

I got my CED partly because RSI reported a German military test of chronographs using Doppler radar had found the CED most accurate and very close to the Oehler, which placed a close second. Nobody else's was mentioned. I did it partly to be able to use CED's accessory infra-red LED diffuser replacement, which forces uniform light conditions. That is how the ISPC judges assess power factor at the Nationals. They fire sample ammo over two CED's in tandem inside a tunnel that blocks natural light, powering them only with the IR screens. They make sure the two agree closely enough to validate a reading. The Oehler check screen does the same thing.

Regarding light conditions, read through CED's page. Scroll about 3/5 of the way down and you'll find a list of factors that can screw up readings. It's a worthwhile read and addresses some of what you were talking about. Lots of people add to diffuser attenuation, but many don't realize ground reflection glint off a bullet can cause false triggering, too. So there are some ducks to line up.

I can't say I'm surprised to see a non-commercial Doppler unit coming out. Several years ago I was contacted by a board member who was a retired radar engineer who had built his own and was thinking of commercializing it. I still have a trace he sent me of a handgun round. Unlike the unit Brian linked to, this was a plot of velocity vs. time. It was more interesting to me than a numerical peak number because you can then see how much acceleration your bullet picks up from muzzle blast. Unfortunately, the fellow who had that unit was going through his wife having cancer and he was not, I think, possessed of the necessary time and energy to pursue it further then. I don't know what's happened with that since.

In the meanwhile, as with almost all electronic sensors types, radar modules have appeared and have become very economical, for those not up to radar design work. So it was only a matter of time before someone made a chronograph from one. I don't know what this unit will cost. Figure that someone will do it cheaper at some point.

There is also the Magnetospeed unit available now. Like the radar unit, it would avoid the problem of light condition sensitivity. I just don't know anyone who has one to get a comparison of its consistency and durability with. It has the drawback that, since it mounts to the gun barrel, you won't be able to shoot for velocity and do load tuning at the same time, as it would affect how the barrel "vibrates".

Last edited:

mehavey

Interesting concept, though it would seem a tough proposition to use with handguns...

and what appears to be only 5-6" sensor spacing might pose a challenge as per UnicleNick above...

...and... I'd probably not want to watch what happens using slow powders in short barrels after a while. :eek:

Last edited:

coldbeer

The Magnetspeed doesn't work with semi automatic handguns but it does work with revolvers and just about everything else.