Chronograph advice

flintlock.50

My Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph finally died. I've had trouble with it since nearly day one despite sending it back to the factory for repair.

One thing it taught me is that my next chronograph MUST have a remote for changing strings, etc. The range where I shoot is usually quite busy, so I can't keep moving forward to review data and change settings on the chronograph.

I've looked at lots of chronographs online. The Caldwell® Ballistic Precision Chronograph has a 15 ft cord that connects to an iPhone or iPad and uses a free app to view data, etc. That sounds attractive. Other chronographs have optional remotes to connect to a PC. I'm a Mac bigot, so I don't have or want a PC. That eliminates those chronographs.

I've also read lots of reviews and nearly every chronograph I've found has a handful of really bad reviews.

What's the experience here? Anyone have a Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph? I'm eager to hear all comments and advice.

Thanks!

ligonierbill

I have used a PACT 1 XP for years. It can be sensitive to the angle of the sun, but mostly the only problem has been when a gremlin steers my bullets into it. I'm about to take it to the range this afternoon. I've also had good luck with the Magnetospeed "bayonet" chrono. No good for autoloading pistols, but just the thing at a busy range.

g.willikers

That's what binoculars are for.
Reading a chronograph display from afar, among other things.
Mine is a basic Chrony, no fancy settings to mess with.
If separate strings need to be remembered, that's what paper and pen are for.
KISS.
It works best on bright overcast days, where the cloud cover acts like a huge diffuser.

wogpotter

PACT!:cool:
I've had mine for ever & its never missed a beat. I always use the supplied screen covers as I like the frame of reference.

I've shot the sensors & they replaced them for $7.00! The electronics are all on the bench the only thing in the sensor boxes is a plastic lens & the actual photocell.
My PACT powder scale (the original battery only model, which is so old it doesn't even have a model number number) just started acting up & they're fixing it under warranty.

Dufus

I have used a CED M2 for a few years and have nothing bad to say about it.

It rarely gives errors and you can position the CPU approximately 20 ft from the screen.

I am very happy with it.

OnTheFly

Have you seen...

My Personal Radar

Features
  • Easy Set Up - Place LabRadar beside the shooter, point towards the target and you’re ready to go.
  • Maximum Velocity, Minimum Velocity, Average Velocity, Standard Deviation, Extreme Spread.
  • Actual velocities at various distances, up to 100 yards.
  • Accurate with subsonic, transonic, supersonic projectiles.
  • Works in any light conditions.
  • No Shooting through a small confined window.
  • Records virtually unlimited number of shots and shot series.
  • Custom software for later PC analysis.
  • Smartphone, Tablet, iPad compatible.

Here is an article about the unit...

www.scout.com

Here is a video on how to set it up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=155&v=mFfGp3CYAr8

It is more expensive than a chronograph unit, but it is SO much easier to use. Also, you can get true muzzle velocity, and/or velocity at fixed distances out to 100 yards.

flintlock.50 said:
...I'm a Mac bigot, so I don't have or want a PC.

You are not a bigot if you are spot on correct. :) I will never own another Windows computer.

Fly

Last edited:

Economist

I bought that same Caldwell chronograph last year and it has been flawless. It has worked perfectly in all the kinds of weather I shoot in, from bright overhead sun to misty, overcast mornings.

The chrono uploads all your shots right into the app, and the app is easy to use and fairly robust. It's easy to change your strings and label your data, and the app lets you review your data anytime. I can pull up all my saved strings anytime I have my iphone.

I would recommend this chrono to anyone.