Christmas present from the wife!!!

kst8fan

NIB Savage 114 Classic 270. This was indeed a surprise, and she did it all on her own! She did a great job.

Attachments

• 100_0031.jpg
    100_0031.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 285

JerryNY

Very nice rifle, she has good taste. Even the wood is figured. I've considered buying this exact model. They do have a very nice classic, traditional look to them. Being a Savage bolt action, I'm sure it will be accurate for you as well. Let us know what you think of the Accutrigger, I've never tried one myself.

PawPaw

Very nice rifle. I predict that you'll treasure it for many, many years. I think you'll like the Accutrigger. It takes a couple of rounds to get used to it, but after a half-dozen shots, you'll wonder why you waited.

kst8fan

Thanks for the replies. I cant wait to shoot the new Savage. I guess its time to stock up on 270 ammo. Now what scope......I was thinking about a Nikon Prostaff
3-9x40 BDC and pairing that up with Talley Lightweights all in one rings/bases. Although I do have a Tasco 1973 model 3-9x32 made in Japan that I bought at a garage sale that has never been used still in original plastic in box. I know Tasco's are cheap scopes but they were supposed to be made a lot better back then than they are now. More than likely I will buy the Nikon Prostaff. Not sure if I should go with a 1 piece or two piece base.

mrawesome22

That Tasco should be good. Anything made in Japan is usually really good stuff.

And those Tally's IMO are as good as it gets.

That gun sure looks better in your pic than the pics they have on their website.

kst8fan

I think the Talley Lightweights will do great. Now what does everyone suggest.....low, medium or high rings? I was thinking medium with matte finish. They also list on Midway Usa extended front bases for Savage Rifles 110-116. Would these work or should I just go with the regular 1'' rings/bases? I have never used this setup before so Im really not sure what to do on these Talley Lightweights. If you can help me pick out the right ones it would be much appreciated as i will probly order within the next day or 2. Thanks

mrawesome22

Lows for the 32mm.

Extended or not depends how much distance you have between the turrets and bell and eye box and how far back you need the scope to be which depends on how much eye relief the scope has and also where your comfortable cheek weld is.

Jim243

Very nice rifle, and wife. In that caliber I tend to ride up on my scope, so something with a 3 1/2 inch eye relief should work well.

Good Luck
Jim

BIGR

She did well. I never got a gun for Christmas or as a gift as far as that goes.

Years ago my sister would buy her husband a gun every Christmas. I had the pleasure of picking out a gun for him each year, being that I knew what guns he had. I would help her with the purchase so no gun dealer ripped her off. Also each year before Christmas he would hint around to me as to which new gun he would like to have.

csmsss

I loo at that rifle, and see a very pretty rifle. And yet I hear, time and again, how unattractive rifles are compared to similar Winchesters, Remmies, et al.

jimbob86

low, medium or high rings?

Mount it as low as possible ..... if you have to mount it so high that you are not looking through the center of the scope when your cheek is on the stock, then you'll need a comb raising kit.