Christmas came early! Pics included...

NVBigEd

On a whim, I stopped by my LGS this afternoon on my way home and found myself an early present! It's a S&W 17-4 serial # 215K*** produced, I'm told, in 1982. I can't believe someone had this that long and kept it nearly unfired! I can't wait to get it out for some plinking!:D

IMG_1972-1.jpg
IMG_1954.jpg
IMG_1955.jpg
IMG_1961.jpg
IMG_1963.jpg

bossman

That is one classic looking gun. To me that's what a revolver should look like.
Congrats and enjoy.

GUNSNGOLD

dont you love buying something you totally never thought about owning, makes gun buying fun again :p i get tired of that same old - i want that gun, then the research, then the anticipation and then finally buying that gun.

NVBigEd

Took the S&W 17-4 out to the range with my wife and daughter today... What a terrific old revolver! After taking the side panel off and cleaning out the 30 year old "lubricant", which had congealed to almost a pudding like consistency, and giving the internals a few drops of good oil, the old .22 shot terrifically! The action is smooth and predictable and this pistol is amazingly accurate.

I am hoping to improve my trigger control, inexpensively, with a lot of double action practice. So far, I couldn't be happier.

basshunter

Model k22

I have an early 1948 k22, I took my 11 year old grandson to the range several times this summer. We fired the K 22,14-2 and Colt huntsman. Grandson informed me that when I get old he wanted the K22. I'm just glad at 69 i'm not old yet. I guess I had better see if I can find one for him.

P-990

Nice revolver, excellent find! And it even has the original stocks on it. (Though I recommend replacing them with something a bit easier to hang on to for DA shooting. I found an 18-4 of similar vintage and condition a couple of years ago and swapped the Magnas for a set of Ahrends not long after getting it home. Big improvement!)

Hum...

It might have been produced just a little later, 1983 or early 1984, as it doesn't have the pinned barrel, which was discontinued right around that time.

salvadore

I have one just like that...well, not as much bluing, that I have had for thirty years or so. Put somewhere between 6,000/8,000 rounds through it in the last two years and probably 50,000 or more since I bought it new. Last spring I shot a 1 5/8" inch six shot group from a rest at 25 yds, pretty good for a guy with my vision.

You are gonna love that shooter.

dascottsman

Quote:
She's a beaut, Clark.

You have have no idea how applicable that is!

I bet you could use you a cold one???????? Love that movie and cousin Eddie!!

spacecoast

It might have been produced just a little later, 1983 or early 1984, as it doesn't have the pinned barrel, which was discontinued right around that time

SCSW shows 1982 serial numbers with the range of 125K to 269K. By 1984 they were using the letter prefixes.