Choosing a Scope?

tankertom

I am looking to get a scope for a bolt action .308 rifle. I have have been an iron sight guy to this point.

I am interested in doing some reasonably long range precision target shooting. I am thinking in the 100-600 yard range.

What sort of magnification should I look for? I was looking at Nikon and Leupold in the Midway catalog. I see a lot of scopes in the 4-12x and 6.5-20x magnification range.

TT

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I think the consensus is that for the money, a Leupold is hard to beat.

As to power, I have a 500-yard range. I have no trouble with 10X; many prefer scopes up to 14X...

FWIW, Art

CD1

Tankertom,

Last month I bought a Nikon 3x9 Buckmaster scope. I took it out to sight it in and realized that the edges of the field of view were very blurry/distorted. Not what I expected from Nikon. In their defense this is only one scope out of thousands, but that didnt make me feel any better when I had to take it back. I went back to the store and bought a Leupold Vari X II 3x9 and have had NO probs. I know quite a few people who have had great experiences with the Leupold. I also own a Pentax 3x9 lightseeker which is one of the best scopes I have ever used. Id urge you to look at the Pentax before making your decision. Hope that helps.

[This message has been edited by CD1 (edited November 10, 2000).]

Jeff Thomas

Others are more knowledgeable re: choice of scope, but ... check out SWFA for good pricing and selection - heard a lot of good things about these folks: www.riflescopes.com . Be sure to check out the 'Sample List' for good deals on demo units, overstock, etc. - look about halfway down the web page.

Good luck. Regards from AZ

beertrucker

If you know of or can locate a shop ran by a true 'gunsmith' pay a few $ more, if necessary, and buy from him. He will most likely mount the scope at no additional charge and you will have someone to go to if you have any problems or questions. Scope mounting is more than screwing the parts to the right places. If he says the rings need to be lapped I'm sure he'll also explain to you why. If you are going to hunt with this rifle/scope combo don't get too much power. Less is better in the woods. beertrucker-x

beertrucker

I want to add, I love the Leupold QR system and as an iron sight shooter you may want to concider the quick release system. They do work well! beertrucker-x