Choosing a car gun...

Mokumbear

Currently, I keep a Walther PPS 9mm in my center console.

I want to get another gun for the car since I also use the PPS for carry at times and am tired of having to go out to my car to get it and replace it with another gun.
It would also be nice to have a higher capacity magazine.

Here is my "wish list"...

1) Barrel not much longer than 4" so it fits my small center console.

2) Doesn't have to be a "beauty queen".
Most importantly, it must have 100% "click/bang" reliability.

3) I am thinking of the Ruger 9E.
Your thoughts?

Sevens

My thoughts:
Car gun is a genuinely awful idea, just too many reasons not to do it. The obvious and easy one is theft, which at first just seems like the loss of property... but on a more grand scale, it's (yet another) blip of a percentage of another "evil gun" ending up in the hands of a criminal that will do bad things with it.

But more to the point...
I don't go places unarmed, I always carry a handgun on me. And there is a place I go daily that, in my opinion, REQUIRES a handgun always, always, always: that place is returning to my home.

The idea that I would EVER enter my home unarmed is to me, ludicrous. So a car gun is just "another" gun, and I don't need it or the liability. And in the off chance someone needs to drive my car for any reason -- they are in a HEAP of trouble if I have a car gun stowed and they are not licensed for carry.

BigMikey76

If it is going to be a dedicated car gun, and pretty doesn't matter, my first thought is a S&W SD9VE. I've heard very little bad about them, and they are inexpensive, which is usually on the list of qualifications for a car gun.

Mokumbear

FYI, in my entire life my vehicle has only been broken into once.
It was late at night, years ago, in my driveway.
Go figure because my house is well lit and there is even a street light right over my driveway.
There was nothing to steal at that time and it just cost me a window replacement.

Needless to say, I always garage my car at night since then.

Criminals will obtain guns illegally by whatever means necessary.
Once upon a time, I used to be concerned about "one more illegal gun on the street".

At that time, I spoke to a police officer while doing my job.
His attitude was kind of "who cares". If it gets stolen, oh well.
I have seen some affordable car gun safes (I think it was made by Hornady) but I don't see the point.

TunnelRat

Criminals will obtain guns illegally by whatever means necessary.
Once upon a time, I used to be concerned about "one more illegal gun on the street".

At that time, I spoke to a police officer while doing my job.
His attitude was kind of "who cares". If it gets stolen, oh well.
I have seen some affordable car gun safes (I think it was made by Hornady) but I don't see the point.

There's obviously a limit to how much precaution anyone can go through to prevent the theft of a gun. Even the best of safes is defeatable with time. That said, I personally do what I can to prevent my firearms from ending up in the hands of criminals. Yes they would be the party responsible for what they did with that gun, but I sure as hell am not going to make it easier for them. "If it gets stolen, oh well"? :rolleyes:

There are a number of instructors/schools that offer courses in handling guns in and around vehicles. These give the students the skills to use the concealed carry firearm on their person to engage a threat. In that case I don't see the point of a dedicated "car gun" that is a pistol. If you have the option to carry on your person use that. If you have to remove the firearm for periods of time and leave it in the car for those times, then do that but I would suggest still using a car safe. Just leaving a handgun in the center console of a car indefinitely is both unnecessary and negligent imo. Don't forget the greatest attribute the car has is that it's mobile. If you can, get out of there. Also, it makes one hell of a weapon by itself.

Moonglum

FYI in my entire life my vehicle has only been broken into once.

How many times does it take?

I don't understand the concept of a car gun either. I simply don't walk out of my home unarmed thus negating any need for a dedicated "car gun".

If I am required to leave my gun in my car I secure it. I can't speak for anyone else but I don't have 500+ bucks to -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- away replacing a stolen gun

Bill DeShivs

It's not irresponsible to expect your belongings to be safe in your car.
You can carry a much bigger gun in a car, and it can be more accessible than the one you carry on your person.
Securing the gun is a good idea, but it's not your responsibility.

TunnelRat

You can carry a much bigger gun in a car, and it can be more accessible than the one you carry on your person.

A gun on your person can be plenty accessible when in a car, that's what those courses I mentioned are for. I won't disagree that a long gun would offer greater options, but that's outside the scope of this thread and subforum. It's also not irresponsible to expect to not get attacked and need the firearm in the first place. But when you carry you are making a decision based in the reality of the world we live in, and just as people are attacked in that world so are cars broken into. Is it your legal responsibility? Depending on your locality maybe not. But that doesn't stop me from taking up the moral responsibility to protect my family, nor does it stop me from making decisions to prevent my firearms from being stolen.

TunnelRat

As to the OP's question, a 4" barrel and reliable aren't really enough specifications to ween down the huge array of pistols on the market today. The Ruger would be a good choice. Striker fired versus hammer fired, safety or not, DA/SA or constant trigger pull like SAO or "safe-action", polymer vs. metal, caliber, etc. There is a lot more you could specify (don't forget price).

Sharkbite

I have a dedicated "car gun" G17 with a light and a cpl spare mags in the center console of my Yukon.

I ALWAYS have my carry gun on me. These days its a G26. The car guns purpose is to allow a bigger pistol (with a light) to be handy should that be needed.

I was working in Los Angeles (Pico / Union area) when the Rodney King Riots broke out. Luckily, i had access to more then just my personal guns for that deal. But, if all i had was my CCW gun...i would have been under equipped.

So, now i keep a full size pistol stored in my truck, just in case the Carp hits the fan.

I also upgrade those equipment choices when i travel more then an hour or so from home. As an example, im in Vegas (from Colorado) visiting my son this week. About a 9 hour drive to get here. I brought along my suppressed Sig as a driving companion (shooting inside a car is LOUD) and my 9" AR. If something bad happens while im traveling, ive got a reasonable loadout of weapons and ammo to arm my son and his wife

burrhead

To answer the OP's question, you might look at a Glock 19.

As to the "car gun" question, a G21 and spare mag lives in my car. I also carry a G36 everyday. If one thinks a gun on the belt, while seated and seat-belted in a vehicle is accessible, use a timer and see how long it takes to put that gun in action. I did and was surprised to see it take +/- 15 seconds to put a bullet on target in that scenario.

A car gun is a very good idea. Don't believe me? Try it.

TunnelRat

If one thinks a gun on the belt, while seated and seat-belted in a vehicle is accessible, use a timer and see how long it takes to put that gun in action. I did and was surprised to see it take +/- 15 seconds to put a bullet on target in that scenario.

I've done more than try it, I've done a day of shooting through car windows while in a seated position. 15 seconds? I'd have to question in what way you are carrying because that is way over the average time for the people in the course. I could see a center console being somewhat faster, but not on the levels you're describing.

A car gun is a very good idea. Don't believe me? Try it.

While I would argue that people don't necessarily need to try something to not think it's a good idea, I'd say being armed while in your vehicle is indeed a good idea. Leaving a firearm for long stretches in the car unattended where the car is accessible by others is not. That is why I don't condone buying a cheap gun under the assumption that the firearm will probably be stolen.

Ike666

In the last three years we've lost 537 guns to residential burglaries or car breaks. 243 of them were car breaks. Better than 80% were unsecured. Unlocked cars with gun, guns in a house but unsecured. We're a small city of about 95000.

Please don't leave your guns in your car. It is a major source of crime guns.

Moonglum

I agree at a thief is 100% responsible for his actions but if I can mitigate a known risk and I choose not to that's on me

Wishoot

Maybe not, but it's pretty unrealistic no matter where you live.

I live in a very nice area with a very low crime rate. Breaking into locked and unlocked cars is far and away the biggest crime in this community. My neighbor had EVERYTHING taken out of his car one night. Even stuff that had little to no value.

It's one thing to have a few coins and a cell phone charger lifted from your car. It's another thing to have a gun lifted from a car because there's probably a really good chance it will be used to commit a violent crime in the future.

EVERYTHING about owning a gun is your responsibility including safe storage.

Limnophile

I have a CZ 82 that resides in my glovebox. My car has a theft alarm, and is kept in an attached garage.

Yes, if I loan my car to someone with no CPL I have to remember to remove the gun to keep them out of legal trouble. I would remove the gun if I were going to leave the car parked in public (eg, airport parking) for a long time. I don't see these requirements as hassles.

State law requires the gun be out of sight when I leave the vehicle; in the glove box it is. I must also lock my car when leaving it, but I've always done that regardless of what's in the car or where I park it.

When the gun first found its way into my glovebox I wasn't religiously carrying everyday, so the car gun gave me ready access or at leadt quicker access to a firearm when away from home.

There are places (eg, the Post Office) I go where law prohibits carry, or where carry may not be prudent (eg, a health care appointment where I might be asked to disrobe before progressive health care workers whose jimmies would be rustled if they spied my piece), so leaving home without carry made sense. I've since switched to a easy-off-and-on OWB holster that can be readily removed when I arrive at a destination where carry is banned or unwise. This has helped in making carry outside the home routine; but, the car gun remains in the car.

At home I have access to multiple firearms. Having access to two while in my car, my home away from home, does not seem unreasonable. Should I have a passenger who isn't licensed to carry or is not exercising his right to carry openly, the car gun is available to him should we find ourselves in a dire situation.

KyJim

I've bought two handguns to use as a "car gun" and decided against using a car gun in both instances for the reasons others have mentioned. BUT, if were going to dedicate a gun for the car I would consider a polymer handgun with major metal components treated with melonite or tennifer (like SW M&P or Glock). You don't want condensation to rust your gun.

B.O.F.H.

I keep a back up gun on my ankle that is easily accessible while seated. Spare mags in the glove box, 19 rounders for the xdm compact which I carry with a weapons mounted light in place. That xdm comes off the night stand in the morning, gets a carry mag in place of the 19 rounder, and is carried all day until put back on the night stand. Specialized gun roles make me question the edc choice. If there is need for more rounds, let's just carry and train that way. Not to be snarky, just an observation.

Under your initial quandary, I'm thinking Ruger p95, Armscor 1911, or Bersa offerings