Chome Lined AR's vs. Non-chrome

P99AS9

I'm debating whether to sell my Olympic Arms M.F.R. and buying a Bushmaster Patrolman's Carbine. The main difference is the Bushy has a flat top upper and a chrome lined barrel. My question: Is it better or worse to have a chrome lined barrel? I hear they can make the gun more accurate, but they can wear down over time and you have to get them re-chromed. Any opinions?

varoadking

I hear they can make the gun more accurate, but they can wear down over time and you have to get them re-chromed.

Got that backwards...

A chrome lined barrel is often though of as less accurate but will yield a longer life...

FWIW...I'd always get a chrome lined barrel...

m1thumb

Agreed with "Verodaking." You have it backwards. I have chromed lined barrels on my AK and G3 and have shot thousands of rounds from them. I am not shooting competitively and will give up in accuracy for a longer lasting barrel.

bedlamite

I wouldn't bother selling what you've got just to get a chromed barrel. Since you'll likely lose money selling it anyway just shoot it 'til it's shot out, then replace the barrel and bolt. I'd just buy another upper if you want a different receiver, you know you want them both anyway. Of course, then you'll have to get another lower too ... :D

Dfariswheel

The advantages of the chrome lined barrel are:

Longer service life.
Easier to clean (fouling doesn't stick to it as bad).
Far more resistant to corrosion.
More reliable due to the chrome lined chamber.

Disadvantages:
More expensive.
"Slightly" less accurate than an unlined barrel. (This is only an issue on straight accuracy rifles where you're trying to get the last bit of accuracy).

Advantages of an unlined barrel:
Cheaper.
"Probably" a little more accurate. (Unless its a target rifle you probably won't notice any difference.

Disadvantages:
Doesn't last as long.
Harder to clean.
Not very resistant to corrosion.
Less reliable due to the uncoated chamber. (This was one of the big causes of problems with the M16 in Vietnam).

Bottom line: Over the life of the rifle, it really doesn't make sense NOT to buy the chrome lined. The extra cost will pay back over time.

roklok

Chrome lined all the way for me, mainly for corrosion resistance and low maintenance. My ARs see hard use in less than ideal weather conditions, such as week long hunts in a wet, muddy boat, or on a snowmachine where everything gets filled with snow. I had one non chrome lined barrel and had trouble with rust in the bore, not so with chrome lined. I have not been able to tell any accuracy difference, but as the previous posters have said, non-lined barrels are considered to be more accurate if you are a competition shooter.

oif-vet

The Olympic Arms and Bushmaster are both great AR's. Bottom line is chrome lined last longer and the flat top upper is a major plus.

riggins_83

Having worked at a gun store I'd personally take the Bushmaster over the Olympic any day. I get 1/2" MOA with my Chrome Lined 20" Bushmaster so I'm not too worried about the loss of accuracy :)

Logs

I have had AR's both ways Chrome is the way to go IMO. I didn't see any difference in accuracy, but did see a difference in cleaning and better reliability with dirty ammo.

Skans

I always go for the chrome lined barrel. I'm one of those guys that likes to shoot cheap ammo and lots of it. I like to do mag dumps. Basically, I like to shoot a military styled rifle harshly. The AR chrome lined barrels are plenty accurate - definitely stick with chrome lined barrels, unless you are shooting competitively.

madcratebuilder

Unless you shoot several thousand rounds per year and/or own a full auto you probably would not notice the difference. I prefer a chrome barrel but it's not a deal breaker.

pilpens

If current barrel is accurate enough, shoot with it until it is worn, then change to a chrome lined barrel.

HJ857

One of my uppers is a Patrolman model and it is not chrome lined, maybe the current models are, but you should double check that.

That Bushmaster upper is no where near as accurate as another upper I use that has a Daniel Defense chrome lined barrel, and it's far more difficult to clean.