Choke re-sized...

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Redneck Question...
Why do I not here of guys taking a full choke barrel out a few thousandths with a brake hone or similar tool and cordless drill?

Brent

johnbt

I don't know. Probably because they don't know how much material they are removing and how much metal needs to be left for safety's sake.

My usual funny answer...

Because it's much easier to shoot some large steel shot through it and open it up?

oneounceload

Because if it is not done properly, you can very easily screw up your barrel by taking not enough, too much, or the worst case scenario, taking some out off center and now having a gun that does not shoot anywhere near POI/POA

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
With my UNFALTERING SKILL with the brake hone [sarc]I am mediocre at best [/asm] I figure a good "ruff est." would at least be round and with a caliper, I could stop when I wanted... Just curious...

Brent

RoscoeC

Brent, I like the way you think. My thought is you can do it yourself, or you can take it to a gunsmith and let him use his brake hone and caliper and then you can feel better because he is a "Perfessional". Bottom line is, since I follow your posts, I have to think this is going to occur on a Mossberg pumpgun, so your liability is a replacement barrel, or probably about what you would pay a gunsmith.

knight0334

You can hone out a choke with a break hone.

However if you have a fixed choke you may want to pay strict attention to the inside contour as you perform the task. Some barrel manufacturers have a long taper constriction, some a short taper.

If you have a removable choke, do not hone near the end of the tube the meets up inside near the barrel - you will create a step, which you do not want.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
you can take it to a gunsmith and let him use his brake hone and caliper and then you can feel better because he is a "Perfessional".
Actually, I feel much better that I did it myself... While a failure has happened once or twice, I rarely do more harm than good on a project...
I haven't "farmed out" a repair or project in ferever...

From my redneck repairs to all small appliances and electric tools (all types) to larger appliance repairs to all types, all things fuel fired from small engines to outboards and on up and gun repair/mod are just a few...

Bottom line is, since I follow your posts, I have to think this is going to occur on a Mossberg pumpgun
As for project, I currently have none. It is regarding the .410 gun cruffster has just took to the field with... I know a brake hone would be too large but it got me thinkin' in case a come across a longer barrel equipped gun deal. I won't pass on a full choke gun just 'cuz I don't like full choke guns for my needs...

Brent

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Knight, I wouldn't mod a $12.99 tube...:D I was just referring to fixed choke barrels... as for cone, I would approach this like a cylinder in a motor, If your crosshatch pattern is consistent, you naturally hone proportionately to an initial shape.

Brent

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
OOL, You assume I don't have a seldom used brake hone set...;):D Full choke singles usually only bring $40 bucks... 'cuz they're full...
Brent

knight0334

Go for it then... You'd be doing nothing more than what a smith would do.

Once you're done with the honing stones, I personally would polish the entire bore with a bore mop and some Flitz.

The insides of my bores(and chambers) of all my rifles, shotties, and handguns are all like mirrors. Accuracy for rifled barrels and patterns for smoothbores improved afterwards. And cleaning is much easier without the extra scoring of an unpolished bore.

BigJimP

since you're confident / and you already have the tools --- go ahead and do it ( worst case / you'll end up with a Skeet gun ..) :D

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I betcha I could sho nuff perfect one of them guns! Heck they are so over priced, they can't even sell 'em in the mall!:D

Brent

zippy13

Brent,

My shooting buddy, who has a virtual machine shop in his garage, uses a brake cylinder hone to successfully open chokes as his tool of choice. The ones he did for me pattered well; but, they were screw-ins not barrels. He did full barrels as well -- used a lathe, not a hand drill.

I don't think I'd try it freehand, I don't have your confidence. Is there some way you could make a fixture to keep your drill and barrel reasonably co-axial?

Don't overlook the obvious: don't try it on chromed barrels.

Z

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
zip, I was gonna pin the gun in my lap and the "flexi-hone" shaft should render me a pretty square job...

Heck... At worst, if I hone it wrong, it oughta be a good "Wobble Trap" gun.:D
Brent