choke and load for turkey?

TCman

I am shooting an 870 with a primos tight wad ported choke. Do you have an idea on what load will perform the best on turkey this spring? Also, I would like to shool 45 or 50 yards.

hoghunting

TC,
I know this is not the answer you are looking for, but shotgun loads are similar to rifle loads in that what is very accurate in my gun might not be in yours. I've have had loads that were just perfect in one shotgun, that were horrible in another shotgun of the same make and same choke tube.

Federal and Remington make loads specifically for turkey hunting and they have been the best I have used. Just try different loads and choose the one that shoots to your point of aim and has the best pattern

Ruger4570

I have to agree with Hoghunting. No one can predict which shell will perform best in YOUR gun. You are gonna have to bite the bullet and try several brands on a pattern board. Anyone that says different can only speak of their gun,, but theres is always the chance yours will do as well. But, how will you know if you don't try it.

lil_bro

What I use in my Maverick 88 is Remington 3" Nitro Mags with 1 7/8oz no4 shot and with that and a full choke(not a extra full turkey choke)I can get all the shot in a 8in circle at 40yds not to bad IMO.

Michael.

MEDDAC19

I think you should limit your shots to under 40 yds, terminal energy is not very high beyond that distance. If you shoot out to 50 yds the most likely results will be a wounded turkey or just a miss.

I have heard that the federal Hevi-Shot, I think, one of the new alloy shotshells, is rated out to 45-50 yds. I don't use it for two reasons, the first is cost, the stuff is around $20.00 a box and the second is that calling a tom in close is what spring turkey is all about for me. YMMV