Choice of centerfirer revolver

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnemeth

Which would be the better choice for my first centerfire handgun, a S&W 686 plus or a S&W 625 in .45 ACP?

Grayfox

I gotta say the 686. A good .357 is always the better choice for a first centerfire handgun simply due to the wide variety and power levels of both .357 and .38 Spl ammo avalible for it.

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Greetings. Both are larger-sized revolvers and both are in respected defensive calibers.
The M625 will likely have a bit heavier trigger-pull for two reasons: Some military .45ACP may have harder primers and an extra margin of firing pin energy is provided in case a moon clip is slightly "sprung" and the pin has to drive the moon clip against the rear of the cylinder before setting of the primer. With proper loads, the .357 Mag may be the better "stopper," but the .45 will provide adequate "power" and be easier for quick, repeat shots. Pick the one you can hit the best with and never look back. Best.

Rod WMG

Stephen A., as usual, has given you good advice. Both these guns are in very good and versatile calibers. Factory ammo is available in a wide variety of ranges of bullet weights and velocities.

If you get into handloading (most shooters do because of the economics), you can load the .45 Auto Rim cases (eliminates the need for clips) to duplicate either the standard .45 ACP ballistics or carefully load it up to levels hot enough to hunt deer with.

Some people recommend the .45 Super cartridge in these sixguns also--I haven't really checked this out for myself, but it's something to consider.

My suggestion? Get one or the other and start making plans to buy the one you didn't get real soon. You can't go wrong here! And no one stops at just one! Good luck.

James K

Member In Memoriam
I'll go with the 686. Main reasons are a wide variety of available loads, easy to handload, and no need for moon clips. .45 ACP factory loads are fairly narrow range as they are designed to function in auto pistols.

Rod, is .45 Auto Rim available? I thought it had been discontinued a couple of years ago.

Jim

Rod WMG

Jim, I heard a few days ago somewhere that someone had AR ammo loaded and ready to go, but can't remember where (Georgia Arms?). Practically all my shooting is reloaded ammo (by me). That is what I was referring to.

Remington discontinued AR ammo in '93 (I think that was the year), but the cases are still available from them--I get mine through Midway. The Rem. version of the ammo was not very effective or accurate, as they loaded it with a LRN and didn't take the pains to develop an accurate load for what is a very accurate gun. I was always disappointed in it.

With bullets from 185 gr. to 250-260 grains, this can be a very versatile round. If you use the heavier bullets in your handloads, make sure the diameter is not too large (over .451) as these are designed for the .45 Colt and could give high pressures.

I have never seen any of the ammo, but decades ago, some of the factories loaded the .45 AR with 250 gr. bullets to duplicate the ballistics of the .45 Colt, which the cartridge can do easily with less powder.

I think it's a real shame the ammo factories don't load this any more and that more shooters don't know what a fine, versatile round it is. It's one of my personal favorites.

Bodeen

Either one of your choices would no doubt please you,but since you asked for an opinion,heres mine.I would opt for the 45acp,the capabilities for a fast reload is superior with moon clips.Also if you wanted to use it for blastin'innocent bowling pins the 45 offers an advantage for recoil control over the magnum loadings.
If your intention is to hunt big game I think neither choice offers sufficient power for that task.
Jeff A.

[This message has been edited by Bodeen (edited August 08, 1999).]

Sid Post

The S&W 625 seems to be one of those handguns people always wish they had bought. It doesn't get as much press and the favorable comments the L-Frames do but, I have had more then my share of customers and friends regret either selling or not getting a 625 in the first place. I will note, that for those people wanting more power (like 357 Magnum levels), 45 Super is an option for these stout handguns. Full Moon clips also offer reloading speed advantages for people shooting bowling pins and pepper poppers. For a "learning" pistol, I think the 625 is a good choice. Total weight, balance, recoil and, muzzle blast are all within reasonable levels.

In the 357 L-Frames, my personal pick of the litter is the 686 Power Port model. This is one tame shooter - even with the heaviest loads. This is a very accurate pistol in my hands as well. You also have the option of shooting real "wimp" loads in 38 Special when you do your initial learning but, I like something a little more realistic like lightweight 38 +P's. Muzzle blast with hot ammo in these guns can be a negative factor in the learning process as well. A 6 inch barrel goes a long way to helping tame the blast but, there's not doubt it's still there.

For general use fun shooting, general learning and, a secondary self defense role, I think I would give the nod to the 625. I like big bullets moving at medium velocities for general use. Muzzle blast with stout 357 Magnums and the recoil generated get old after 300 rounds or more (when I shoot, I shoot a lot, usually 8 hours or more). And, 45's in general will give you a shove and a deep boom instead of a stout slap and a high pitch'ed crack (which does get old at the range).

Either choice you mention is a good one. The intended markets for each is a little different so, the basic question is - what do you really want to do with the pistol? What qualities are you looking for? How much do plan to shoot and what type of shooting will you be doing?

Sid

fubsy

A lot of good advice. I own several 357mag and I generally prefer the Kframe in 3" versions because I on occasion carry one.....but I really like the 625 in 45 acp and if I had to choose one it would be a toss up, im partial to the 625.......625's dont seem to be as common as 357caliber pistols, so you can always pick up a 357, I dont always see a 625. You might want to decide what you will do with this pistol, if your carrying the size factor should come into play, especially if its to be concealed.....if not concealed Id go with the 625......just mo..fubsy.

..also in a revolver bigger caliber is better in mo, unlike a hi capacity semi-auto, you can only cram so many rounds in a cyliner....

cnemeth

Thanks for all the responses so far. I will be using this gun for target shooting, and hopefully some competitve shooting. It will hopefully be shooting as much as my budget allows.
I would also use it as a defensive handgun in my home, so having a larger gun would not be a problem. I live and NYC and this is a NYC target permit, so the gun will not be for CCW. Another important factor is that the NYC target permit does not give the holder the right to keep a loaded handgun. So in an emergency being able to quickly load the gun is important.

------------------

fubsy

With your critiera I would go with the 625, Those big ole bullets make big holes, and its like shooting an artillery piece...fubsy.

Ed Brunner

Got to go with Grayfox and the S&W 686. The 357 Mag is the most versatile pistol cartridge and I favor the Smiths over the Colt. If you like the Colt -go for it. Get at least a 6" bbl if you intend much hunting.

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

Kodiac

A GP-100 chambered for .223
:)

------------------
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Bodeen

I don't mean to change the subject but. What is a target permit?Do you need a special permit to keep a loaded gun in your house? Thanks:
Curious in KC.

[This message has been edited by Bodeen (edited August 08, 1999).]

cnemeth

There are 3 types of handgun permits in NYC.

1) CCW:next to impossible for an avarage person to get.

2) Target: Lets you possess handguns for target shooting. The gun must be kept secured and unloaded when at home. You can take the gun to a range an unlimited # of times, but is must be carried in a locked contained, unloaded. Each gun purchase needs to be preapproved, and there is about a 5 month wait between gun purchases.

3) Premises(home or business): This allows you to keep a loaded handgun a home or business. But, you are only allowed twice a year to take the gun out of your home to practice.

I'm currently still waiting for my target permit. I should hopefully receive it in December. Any day now i should receive an exemption from the NYPD that will allow me to practice at my range before the permit comes through.

bk40

Go with the 625. Excellent target gun. Buy plenty of full moon clips - there is no faster reload for a revolver.
Wish I had my 625 back....

Status
Not open for further replies.