Chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry: please help

Carbon_15

My 30 day wait (SC is a one gun a month state) will be up before long and I'm trying to figure out what to buy next. I need something bigger than my P-32 but smaller than my full-size 1911's and Glocks. When its cold enough for a jacket, i carry my Glock 20 with no problems. When I have to have my shirt tucked in and cant wear a jacket or an over shirt, i slip the P-32 in my pocket. I need something inbetween. Something small enough to conceal under an untucked polo or t-shirt. BTW, my build is tall and skinny at 6-2 140#'s.
As far as the guns I'm considering, the list is pretty varied. It has to be reliable, accurate, and apealing to my taste. My next purchase started as an impulse buy ruined by the one-a-month law. I wnet to the gunshop to grab some ammo and made the mistake of holding a Baby Eagle compact steel frame. It instantly sprouted roots into my palm. Had it not been for the 30 days thing I would have left with it just because it felt to perfect in my had...the weight, balance, point, etc..all right on the money. I started thinking about how good it would look in satin nickle with a stippled front and back strap and nice smooth wood grips.
Since I have had time to sleep on it, I have been wondering If I should get it or not. I'm not a big 9mm (or .40) fan and after the customizing the resonable $450 price would been closer to $8-900..and it would still be a 9mm CZ clone. I started wondering IF I would be better off buying a better quality, more expensive pistol that dosnt need any more work to be pleaseing. I have been in love with the P-99 Millinum at the local Gunshop, but like I said before, I dont really care for the 9mm...I would feel safe carrying it, but a .45 or 10mm would inspire more confidence. The P-99 is absolutly beautiful (especialy the lightly engraved and inlayed Millinium) and also feel splendid in my hand. Its small enough to hide easy under a light shirt but big enough to be accurate and fun at the range. Another pistol that I have always wanted Is the USP .45 Compact w/ a stainless slide. It has the advantage of the more powerfull chambering, but dosnt feel as euphoric in my hands. It is passable, but dosnt have that same feeling that makes you want to just sit and hold it while your watching tv or whatever. I thing the stainless slide USP compacts are quite visualy appealing also.
My wife and I are having our first child, so I want my next pistl to be something i can be proud of for some time to come.
Any and all input is appreciated. From facts and figures to personal opinions.
Thanks in advance,
Jason

Batman

How about a Glock 36 slimline .45? Much smaller and thinner than the 20, but chambered in .45.

There is also the Glock 29, compact 10mm.

Or also try the Kahr line, very slim and concealable, and they look good also. However, they only come in 9mm and .40.

Otherwise, the Officer's ACP sized 1911 and commander sized 1911 would also give you some reduced size without reduced power.

Let us know what you get, and keep up the 1 a month thing.

slick slidestop

Well if you want it SMALL try to learn to love the .40. Look at it ballistically, it is a great round and you can get it in a very small package via the Glock G27, the p?? sig, The Kahr, etc.

I like the G27 because for $90 you can drop in a 357 sig BBL and shoot a totally different round. And with the Glocks, you can get pre ban Hi caps for it if you want

If you must have a 45, I have a G30 that ccw's VERY well IWB with T-shirt and Shorts.

Or try the Glock G29 10mm, it is the same size as my G30, but I have heard some people say they think it is a little harsh in such a small package.

Give the .40 a try no matter if you load them hot or light, they still have plenty of oompf to get the job done

Carbon_15

Thanks for all the input so far guys. Ballisticly I dont have a problem with the .40. Its more than capable (same goes for anything that can put holes in my body I wasnt born with). The reason I want to avaid the .40 is that it looks so similar to the 10mm. I shoot and reload my 10mm quite a lot, with .40 and 10mm brass and bullets all over the place, I'm a little worried about amisshap. Even though I'm very cautious, it wouldnt be to hard to stuff a hot 10m load in a .40 case by accident. That would result in compressed powder, insane chamber pressure and a nasty Glock KB.
A friend of mine has a Glock 29, but it just feels incredibly awquard to me. It shoots very well, and in both of our opinions, has less felt recoil than the 20..prosumably becasue of the double set recoil springs. It does have more muzzle blast than the fullsize which could lead some to think it kicks harder. I think both Glock 10mm's are pretty mild even with full house loads. Its really no easier to hide than my fullsize. With a Glock the only part that gives me concealment problems is the square portion at the rear of the slide. It just grabs my shirt and makes it ride up. that problem happens with all the glocks. Under a jacket, its fine, but then why not carry the 20 and get 5 more rounds. Besides, I already have a Glock..same with the 1911. I was really wanting a Kimber CDP pro, But I'm so tired of hearing that name..usualy in the form of "X pistol is junk..you should have got a Kimber". The snob appeal just turnes me off.
Since i have a baby on the way, I probly wont be buying many guns for the next few years, so I want something different and unique that will hold my interest for a while. A P-99 in .357 Sig would be kinda neat, but I dont know if thats a possibility just yet. Are their any sources for legal non-gelded p-99 mags.

jearne

I think you should take a look at the Kimber line. I am purchasing a Pro CDP. It is slim, it has the melt down package to make carry very easy, night sights, .45 caliber, and a full size grip with the 4" barrel. Plus the accuracy of a Kimber, something you can be proud of. They also have the Compact CDP with a 0.4" shorter grip and a 4" barrel. Or the Ultra CDP with the shortened grip and a 3" barrel. All very easy to conceal!

On the other hand the HK USP compact is an excellent gun. HK produces very accurate pistols. They are very reliable and they come with a lifetime warranty. Although they are called compact they are still not that small. But still adequately concealable!
Added bonus, Decocker!

Personally I would go for the Kimber line, they are quality weapons! www.kimberamerica.com

:cool:

Bob Locke

Since you like and reload the 10mm, how about a G29?

With a decent IWB holster, you ought to be able to tuck that baby away fairly easily.

7th Fleet

Since you already have a P-32 why not check out the P-11 or P-40 Keltecs. They are available with hard chromed finish and night sights and are easily concealed in a pocket. I can carry my P-40 in a pair of jeans in one of the front pockets without a holster, or you can shove it down into your waist band with you shirt untucked as you described.

7th

Carbon_15

Thanks TFL'ers. I ended up getting the P-99 Millinium edition that I have been lusting over for so long. i knew If I never bought it i would never be 100% happy with any future handgun purchase. I Got it for a pretty good deal..sticker was $800, paid $700. For those of you not farmiliar, the Millinium edition is limited to 2000 units and comes in a spectacular velvet lined leather briefcase style case. It also has so very tastefull (no scroll and leaf work) engraving and inlay Now I just need to find some high-cap magazines.
I wont be able to pick it up for a few weeks even though I have payed for it since South Carolina will only let us buy one gun every 30 days. Maybe I'll get my wife to sign for it..Hmm..depends on if I'm able to sleap at all while I wait.

P

PreserveFreedom

Plain old vanilla isn't always as plain as it seems. The rest depends where you are getting it from. If it's Baskin Robins, I'll take some peanut butter and chocolate.

Carbon_15

Go figure indeed Monk. I konw in my brain that the 9mm is more than powerfull enough for its intended job, but its jsut one of those rounds that grates my nerves every time i hear it. Probly as a result of hearing about some wannabe thugs all powerfull and ambiguous "9". I have owned them before and now own another one..but I would be happier with a 10mm or .45. Lets face it guys, there are just some calibers (or guns, cars, supermodels, etc) that you just arent a fan of even though they are more than addiquate. I buy 10mm's becouse i love the caliber, I buy 9's and .32's becouse I love the gun and cant get it in 10 or .45.

ScottsGT

Hey Carbon 15, I know the drill too. I hate this damned SC gun of the month club. I'm trying my best, but it's hard to keep up with having to buy 12 guns a year! Where did you get it? I live on the other side of the river, you know, the good side of town! hehe. I solved that problem by just throwing in a rifle purchase ocassionally. burns up the spending money, and satisfys that need. One guy at works has started calling me a "Crack addict" on Guns! ( I just put a used National Match M1A on layaway at The Gunsmith)
Personally, I would have gone with the Colt defender. Palmetto has one in their showcase, but to me it looks like a used gun. But they swear it is new. I say BS. The mag. has so much wear on the sides, and the barrel (outside)has lots of marks from being cycled and not to mention it was as dirty as hell. I called BS to the sales guys face and walked out to never return.

WillBrayjr

alright, i'm going to make an outrageous recommendation. the desert eagle in .357mag, they are worth the money i had one in 50a.e.!

magsnubby

Carbon15....I know what you mean

Calif. has the same stupid one gun per month law. And a 10 day waiting period.

I bought a Charter Bulldog .44 special and 2 days later i found a really good deal on a Glock 17 factory rebuild. Now i have to waite 20 more days to buy the gun (put it on layaway) and 10 days after that to pick it up.

Lord_Nikon

Umm, folks...

This thread is from 2001, his kid is 3 years old, and he is far past the 1 month waiting period if he did indeed slow down his purchases.