CHL Weapon

Big Calhoun

Yes, I know the question comes up alot but I don't have nearly as much weaponry or expertise as most folks around here so I appreciate the help you guys give. You have taught me much and I consider you all friends!

So in Sep, I will finally be able to apply for my CHL in Texas...will have lived here 6 months. Currently, I have 3 semi-autos: Beretta 96FS (Vertec), HK USP 45 Tat., and the XD 45 Tat. No, I'm not a 'Tat Rat' or anything like that. I prefer larger and heavier pistols...well, at leasat I did...

I was considering using my Beretta as my carry weapon but I'm finding that big guy doesn't neccesarily mean you need a big gun. That and it's a challenge for some us to conceal properly. The HK and XD are just too big for me to attempt to carry.

So I've been doing some cyber shopping and will be heading to the gun store this weekend to wrap my hands around a few subcompacts. Was wondering if anyone has shot any of the following, what insight you could give:

Colt Defender
HK USP Compact
S&W CS45
Kimber Ultra Carry II

I believe all are .45; i shoot either .40 or .45. I was looking for the S&W in .40 but they don't carry that in the model line (or I missed something). My HK is a great shooter, but I find the frame to be a little large for my hands. So I'm particuarly interested to know how the frame of a HK USP Compact is compared to the fullsize model. Thanks again for any info you can share.

Bullrock

It depends upon how much you like your USP. I just test fired my new P2000sk and it's a keeper. If you're a big guy, with big hands, the grips may be a little short.

I'm average size with average size hands...(size 10, large size gloves) and it fits me well. Here's the Range Report and pic...

p2000bx.jpg

Good Luck

Rickstir

I'm a big guy, and I carry a big gun, 92FS. I love it and it conceals very well in an Orca Software IWB at 4:00.

That being said, I just bought a Bersa Thunder Concealed Carry which has a very slim profile. I also want my wife to shoot something that goes BANG instead "bang" like her .22 Taurus 93 does. She may want to move on to CCW who knows? I should get the little guy by Friday and will try it out on a trip to the big city this weekend.

Big Calhoun

I love my Beretta and would rather carry that. The only holster I have for it is a Uncle Mikes (??)...it's mostly nylon. Anyway, no matter how I adjust it, I print bad. Even in my bulkier 'lounge' shirts, a wrong turn and the handle prints. I was thinking that I could go with a smaller subcompact and maybe try a thigh holster with some shorts. Can't carry at work anyway so it would work out. Although, I'd feel a little strange (feminine) with a thigh holster...but whatever works.

I'm also going to add that P2000sk to my list to check out this weekend. I'm a big guy but I'd say I have average hands. My Beretta 96 fits PERFECTLY in my hands, feels very natural. The XD is just too big to carry IMO. Ergonomics wise, it's not bad. Not as comfortable, but it certainley does fit the bill. The P2000sk looks like it has a smaller handle then the USP so that might offer me a comfortable fit.

Charles S

Big Calhoun,

Your selection of CCW are excellent.

Based upon my experience I would put a lot of rounds through a Colt Defender or a Kimber Ultra Carry II before I would trust them. Don't get me wrong, they are great guns, I just have not had great experience with either of them (or any really compact 1911 for that matter). I love the compact 1911s, but I have had much better experiences with the Commander size and up.

I really don't have much to say about the H&K Compact other than it is really wide, kind of long, and fairly tall...all in all not that compact.

I really like the S&W CS 45 though. Great gun.

attachment.php

Charles

Bullrock

I really don't have much to say about the H&K Compact other than it is really wide, kind of long, and fairly tall...all in all not that compac
That sounds like a good description of the Waubash Cannonball!!! I don't promote any gun manufacturer or gun type, just guns I have had hands on experience with...

There are several H&K compacts. The USPc and the P2000Sk.

The P200Sk , width=1.28, height=4.61, overall length=6.42, weight=20.8. I can wrap my glove size 10 shooting hand very comfortably. From that grip I can reach the slide release, the magazine release, and the decocker.

The USPc, width=1.34, height=5.06, overall length=7.09, weight=25.0. A little wider, 9 variants, and reliable and accurate.

The Colt Defender is 6.75" in overall length, and weighs 22.5 Oz.

The Kimber Ultra Carry is 6.80" overall length and weighs 25 Oz.

IMHO your choice may come down to style. I would personally prefer either H&K!:)

Charles S

The S&W CS is 6.5 overall length and weighs 23 oz.

Width slide = 0.98
safety = 1.18
grip = 1.27

Height including magazine = 5.11

The colt and Kimber will be

Width slide = 0.92
safety = about 1.15
grip = about 1.27 depending upon grips.

Maybe this will help.

Charles

Big Calhoun

Thanks for the all the info. Definately giving me more to think about as I go shopping this weekend. I appreciate it. I think I'll have a somewhat better impression once I can get my hands on them and test the grip.

Now, the shorter barrels will affect shooting performance, no? I think I've read bits and pieces that shorter barrels are considered less accurate. So if this is true, I'm assuming I'll want to get in some good practice with it before I actually carry. Since I probably won't pick this up till sometime after I get my CHL, I still plan to qual with my Beretta as the semiautomatic.

Charles S

Now, the shorter barrels will affect shooting performance, no? I think I've read bits and pieces that shorter barrels are considered less accurate.

Several questions at once.

Now, the shorter barrels will affect shooting performance, no?

Yes they will, but are you willing to trade performance for a more concealable gun? For most of us the answer is yes. The rest carry a full size gun.

I've read bits and pieces that shorter barrels are considered less accurate.

Untrue....A shorter sight radius is harder to shoot well. On the whole most short guns are as accurate as the larger guns, certainly they are accurate enough for the accuracy requirements of self defense.

Charles

Syntax360

I carry a USPc pretty often, but it really doesn't matter. With a good holster, anything will disappear on your hip and be comfortable for all day wear.

Larry C.

Small 1911's and reliability

Howdy,

I understand about wanting a smaller concealed carry weapon. However, I'm not sure I'd want a small 1911. I've heard too many complaints about thier reliability. I use either a Colt Detective Special in the Summers here in NW Louisiana (for shorts) and my Beretta 92FS between Oct and May. Just my two cents.

Eggman

BUCKMARK

I have nothing bad to say about any of the firearms you listed. They all sound like good choices to me.

I do own a Colt Defender, and it has been a great gun for many years now. No malfunctions of any kind. ZERO.

I hang out at the Colt Forum and I have found that my Defender is not one of a kind. There are many folks out there that swear by the Defender. My only problem with the gun is the price tag. I bought mine back in 97 I think...and it was much cheaper than todays Colt prices.

I installed night sights on mine, along with slim line Aluma grips. It's very thin and light and has been a great performer.

defender.jpg