CHL appointment done; change of policy to follow?

LonWilson

Today, just one week after my 21st birthday, I went through the process of fingerprinting and photographing for my CHL. Went to the County Sheriff's building, went through metal detector, and went to the record's office. Gave them a check for 65 dollars, got a reciept. Took it and went upstairs to the CHL office. Since the 11:00 appointment didn't show up, I got mine done 30 minutes early.

Went into a room, got my photo taken, gotten my fingerprints done via one of those electronic scanning machines (very advanced, and very cool looking, too. Will be using this for my future CHL applications for other states).

All and all, it took 15 minutes to do. Tried to also get a photo of a blank copy of a CHL, but it looks like there is no unified permit in Oregon...all of them look slightly different by county.

While leaving the office and heading to the elevator, I happened to catch Robert Gordon, the new sheriff of Washington county. I managed to get a few moments of his time, and I spoke to him in specific to the issuance of non-resident contigious state CHL's. I told him that due to current policy, a person living in Vancouver would have a difficult time being able to carry their handgun in the state, since Oregon has no reciprocity or recognition of permits.

Gordon seemed to me geniunely concerned about the issue, and that though he would review on a case by case basis each permit from a non-resident, that is only because of the policy in effect currently. He seemed open to a change of policy, say, if a person has a permit from his home state (ie, a Washington resident has a washington CPL), that self defense is enough of a reason. Gordon also made the comment that he's had almost no problems with CHL holders, and that they were among the most law abiding. He also asked why non-residents haven't tried Multnomah (Portland) or Clackamas counties (Oregon City).

I pointed out that Clackamas won't budge on the issue, and Multnomah's authorities are only issuing permits begrudingly to residents, and that the sheriff there has been outspoken in his opposition to citizens carrying guns, whereas he basically refuses all applications.

I'm meeting with the head of the CHL unit next week, to see if a reasonable and fair policy can be fleshed out. At the moment, Clatsop county is the only county I know that will issue to non-residents with just self defense and home state permit. My intent is to get Washington county to do the same thing, as it did before now-former Sheriff Splinden took over. If things work out, Washington state residents will have a new and now much closer place to apply.

itgoesboom

Good work, and good luck. Let me know if you need help from more people in Washington County.

You gotta love Washington County. I called up the CHL unit, just to ask some questions about how to carry ammo in my truck on the way to a range, and the Deputy's answer was, "just get a CHL, easiest way to solve that problem, want me to send you an application?"

I love Washington County, but too bad its so close to Portland.

I.G.B.

LonWilson

I love Washington County, but too bad its so close to Portland.

Portland ain't too bad as a city, at least in comparison to where i used to be. The nice thing is that Washington County has the MAX line access to Portland city center, so I can live out in Aloha and work in Portland downtown. Couldn't do that in Pinellas county in Florida and go to Hillsborough county for work.

My biggest issue with being in Portland city center itself: the Street Kids. Basically, a lot of people were kicked out of or left their homes (some because they were gay or lesbian, some because their parents were abusing them, some because they hated the control their parents had over their lives), and they come across the country to move to Portland, a city which usually tolerates homeless people quite well.

One of the biggest reasons is black tar heroin, a rather cheap and poor version of the "good stuff". It's estimated that about 30% of the population of the young homeless in Portland use it. This is why I don't give money to the homeless for that reason.

Most of the street kids are not involved in the gangs at all, and just avoid it. Some however, are. Many of the groups won't attack you if you're not in any of the groups. The reason behind this is "You don't attack people who can potentially give you money at one point or another". However, some of the groups have become increasingly more violent. There was a recent event where a bystander got involved when 12 of these kids were surrounding and beating on just one. The bystanders were hurt, too.

You might say "Well, the bystander shouldn't have gotten involved", but it's impossible to tell if it's just a gang style beatdown of a fellow member, the member of the other group, or just an innocent victim who couldn't afford giving any money to a real violent group.

Though I've wanted a CHL for a long time (I've waited for many years to turn 21 and be able to apply for one). Don't get me wrong, most of the street kids are good people. It's just that small percentage that are making headlines that make me worried.......