Chipmunk or Cricket?

USMCGrunt

I've narrowed down the selection for my son's first rifle to one of these two rifles. Which one is the better quality and value?

taylorce1

Take your pick they are both made by Keystone. My buddies son shoots a Chipmunk and my daughter shoots a Crickett they function exactly the same. His wood is much nicer on his rifle my daughter picked a hot pink laminate stock. He has a peep sight and my daughter has a buckhorn.

BusGunner007

Marlin 15Y or 15YS or the new 915Y

This is the rifle I bought for my daughters' first firearm when they turned 7.
I know that you didn't ask about this model, but I thought you might like to see another choice before you buy.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/BoltAction22/915y.asp
zoom_915Y.jpg

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/BoltAction22/915ys.asp
zoom_915YS.jpg

AK103K

I bought each of our boys a Chipmunk when they were born. That was back in the early 80's. They are great little rifles. Well made, accurate, and scaled to fit a child, which makes learning to shoot much easier for them.

hodaka

When I was doing this for my daughter I paid a little more for a CZ Scout. A bit more money but it is a good bit nicer.

bamaranger

we bought a Crickett

About 2001 bamaboy got a Crickett. Ideal size for a little guy (7 supervised of course, w. CB caps.)

The rifle developoed a problem early on failing to extract/eject. Called the company, they put out a pick up order and UPS was at the door that afternoon! About a week or so later it came back, ran right, and w/ a nice soft case (My First Rifle!) thrown in for free as was the tune-up.

I was much impressed and they get my vote. At the time, I do not think Crickett and Chipmunk were both produced by Keystone. Not sure though.

chucknbach

2 of my boys got CZ scouts. Getting my daughter a CZ or Mossberg half pint. You can't lose with the scout or half pint as a mag can be added later and add some length to the butt pad. It will serve my kids till they have jobs and can buy their own damn rifles.

Cricket and chipmunk are good for 4-6 yr olds and then you have to buy another.

AK103K

Cricket and chipmunk are good for 4-6 yr olds and then you have to buy another.
By the time they grow out of the Chipmunks, they are pretty much ready for an adult sized gun anyway.

The biggest thing though, is the fact that the Chipmunks and Crickets are scaled to the little kids in every way, and are not just chopped down adult sized guns. They actually "fit" the little kids properly, and they can learn to properly shoot without struggling. They can assume proper shooting positions, and dont need a bench to help support the gun.

The Chipmunk also isnt "done" when they grow out of it. Its something that they can pass on to their kids, and even use themselves as adults. Ive talked to a few people who use them as backpacking guns.

HiBC

I have two Chipmunks.Grandkids are still too young.
I will give a mixed review.They are pleasing to the eye,slender,scaled nice,wood and steel,etc.

Mine,in new condition,did not function properly.It has to do with how the extractors fit the extractor cuts in the barrel.Too much steel,the extractors cam open,fails to extract.Some stoning fixes it.

I have come to think the knurled knob cocking piece is just a little much for tiny fingers.I am not sure my grandaughter will be able to safely pull it back to cock every time.If the knob slips through the fingers,it will likely fire.

I suggest look at all of them you can find samples of.I think there is a Stevens small rifle,too.

chucknbach

The biggest thing though, is the fact that the Chipmunks and Crickets are scaled to the little kids in every way, and are not just chopped down adult sized guns.

My oldest boy got his scout when he was 5. He's now 11 and it still fits him. A cricket or chipmunk are just way to small for him to shoot properly now and no he's not ready for an adult one yet.

The scout is also scaled down just not as far. It's heavier? yes but do you really need your 5 year old walking around with it?

The chipmunk and cricket fit the bill for the youngest shooters as I said. If you have the money get one then get a proper youth gun when they are older. I personally didn't want to spend twice.

I damn near got my oldest son one but just handling them, They felt a little cheezy to me.

Edit:

The Chipmunk also isnt "done" when they grow out of it. Its something that they can pass on to their kids, and even use themselves as adults.

All guns can be past down and a cz scout is an excellent one for that.

With the chipmunk your going to have to buy 2 guns plain and simple. I'd hate to see some 12 to 13 yo out there with an ill fitting toy gun. My second oldest boy just got his scout on his 7th b day. He's been using his brothers since 5. I have another son that 4 now he's shot the scout as well, not comfortably. When they are around 4 or 5 I always think about getting one but at that age they are more suited to bb guns they just don't have the proper attention span for it. By 6 they can fit a scout and my kids are not on the large size.

Last edited:
Honestly I'd get something bigger... rather than having to buy another on in a couple years.

Keep in mind the first .22 Rifle I shot was a '41 Winchester Model 52b. :D

Lloyd Smale

I have one of the chipmunk deluxe guns. Its got real nice wood and bluing and is even checkered. real high quality little gun and a very accurate little rifle too.

AK103K

My oldest boy got his scout when he was 5. He's now 11 and it still fits him. A cricket or chipmunk are just way to small for him to shoot properly now and no he's not ready for an adult one yet.
By 11, our kids were already shooting their FR8's with no troubles. Their Chipmunks were pretty much safe bound at that point, and had been for a number of years.

It's heavier? yes but do you really need your 5 year old walking around with it?
Our kids at 4 were shooting offhand, on their own, with theirs, so yea, I did want a gun they could properly handle. They also were shooting from sitting and prone field positions at the same age. This is something that no other gun at the time, and most likely even now, will/would allow. To learn properly, you need a gun that fits, all the other "youth" models at the time, just would not allow that. Even today, I really havent seen anything else that does.

We used the Chipmunks as trainers, which they are well suited for, if you want to teach your kids to shoot properly from the git go (I never let them shoot off a bench as kids, other than sitting or lying on top of one, they only ever shot from field positions, prone, sitting, and offhand). I knew they would be growing out of them, and that really wasnt an issue. What they gained from their experience with them, was worth well more than the little the rifles cost.

When they are around 4 or 5 I always think about getting one but at that age they are more suited to bb guns they just don't have the proper attention span for it. By 6 they can fit a scout and my kids are not on the large size.
We never allowed our kids to have BB guns. My dad wouldnt allow us to have them either, and his reasoning was right, we treated them as toys. Had some great wars too! :) Worked the same with our kids. They had "real" guns, right off, and knew what they were, even at a very young age. We never had any problems in that respect.

Attention span is up to you to work with. Work within it, and take full advantage of it, and youll have no troubles. I worked with our kids pretty much every day from the time they could hold their rfles, and they dry fired with me using their rifles, each night (I was shooting HP pretty regular then, and was constantly dry firing in the house). When they fired their first "live" rounds at 4, they had "fired" thousands of rounds in the living room in practice. Their first live rounds were fired offhand from a chair in an indoor range at 10 yards. Most all of them were in the black of a standard pistol target too.

JWT

Picket up a Cricket on sale for my grandson when he was 9. Nice first gun for a very modest price.

One of them, i believe Crickett, offers full size stocks with adult LOP. Not usually found at your LGS or Walmart, but you CAN get them online or maybe even direct. You can buy the standalone stocks as an accessory from their website I believe(no ffl). I received the green light to buy my nephew a 22 a few weeks back for his next birthday. No brainer, will be a cricket/chipmunk and probably include the larger stock in the deal so he can make the switch when the time comes.

http://www.crickett.com/index.php?cPath=19&osCsid=bov3qkngdoiqhutr0ulgnv6081

So you can get various LOP stocks for under $85. Lots of colors and a few different designs also. May be able to find take-offs elsewhere cheaper.