Chip McCormick 1911 mags

Chris_B

Question on mags-

I purchased a Colt MKIV/Series 70 made in 1978 a little while back. I hadn't fired it until July 3rd, and it's a fricken laser; it shoots so well it's a shame .45 is so expensive. Anyway. The 7 round mag that came with it was a real POS. At first I thought the Colt was a lemon- when I inserted a mag and racked the slide, the round wouldn't chamber, but the round was loose and jammed the action

I had a Colt M1911 from 1918 with me, and I tried that original two-tone Colt mag in the Series 70. Flawless operation (just like the M1911 it goes to). I also tried a magazine that a lot of people hate- the mag that came with my Auto-Ordnance M1911A1. Bizarrely, that one worked too, and I fired over 150 rounds with that mag, and had zero malfunctions. But many people feel that mag with it's odd follower isn't a very good one, and while I'm happy it works well in SOMEthing (certainly not in the A-O), I wanted a good high quality mag to test

I've been told to try Checkmate mags, they have USGI type 7 rounders in SS which interest me. But I bumped into an 8-round Chip McCormick today, brand new. I figured I'd give it a whirl, they are supposed to be good mags

I'd actually prefer 7 round, and with a dimple on the follower, and the CMC is a flat follower with 8 rounds. But if it works...also it may help my Auto-Ordnance's reliability. Yeah yeah, I know; but I have two Colt 1911s so if the A-O isn't 100%...oh well

But my question: who uses CMC mags in their 1911 type pistol in .45 ACP, and how do you feel about them?

Last edited:

Slamfire

Colt magazines used to be the gold standard. Never had a problem with a real Colt magazine.

I purchased a couple of Chip McCormick magazines, they are excellent magazines.

Chris_B

Thanks!

The mag that came with that '78 Colt was definitely not a Colt mag. I threw it away actually. I was quite gratified to see that the Colt mag for the ancient 1911 works exactly as advertised all these years later, and in multiple pistols

Bigjim3

+1 for Chip McCormick mags

I have used Chip McCormic mags for years. Never any problems. I would recommend them..

RickB

I used Chip McCormick 8- and 10-round mags for many years, and they work well. Never a problem with the 8s, but they've been retired. The latest generation of 8-round mags utilize a slightly extended mag tube, so that a stronger spring and more stable follower can be used. If you are going to use a mag with a basepad that extends the length beyond that of the frame anyway, you may as well get some benefit from the additional length, rather than just a piece of plastic attached to a standard tube. While there are now a number of these extended-tube mags on the market - Tripp, ACT-Mag, Wilson Combat - I think the best of the bunch are those made by Check-Mate Industries. Check-Mate also is the only company still making Mil-Spec 7-rounders (full-length tapered feedlips), and they make "factory" mags for Colt, Kimber, and others. They've been in the business for a long time, but only recently have started marketing mags commercially under their own brand.
G.I. mag: http://www.checkmatemagazines.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=11&idproduct=27
8-round: http://www.checkmatemagazines.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=12&idproduct=112

Lucky 7

McCormick 8-rd magazines are all I use in my Oto Comp Colt Combat Target Model. Great mags at a heck of a sticker price. Buy with confidence!

Excuse the slight derail, but does anyone know how their 7rd Officer mags hold up?

Regards,
Lucky

Kreyzhorse

I used Chip McCormick and with my Springfield TRP and they've been 100% reliable. You can buy more expensive mags, but from my experience you can't buy any mags that are more reliable.

Crankylove

I have a couple McCormick 8 round stainless mags for my 5" Kimber...........and I pretty much hate them.

They will not activate the slide stop......ever.......not once.........in any of the 1911's in the family. About 50% of the time, the last round mis-feeds (dosen't matter if its factory, reloads, HP's, wadcutters, RN).

I have two Wilson's that are my carry mags, and they have been flawless so far (going on 13 years now). The McCormicks have been relegated to range duty, and even then, are only used if I don't feel like unloading my carry ammo from the Wilsons.

Most of the people I talk to love their McCormick mags, it just wasn't meant to be for me I guess.

Last edited:

dmazur

They will not activate the slide stop......ever.......not once.........in any of the 1911's in the family.

I had the same problem with CMC magazines in the Colt 1911's I have, and I solved it by converting them to 7 rd magazines.

Wolf springs and Pachmyer followers turned them into nice clones of Colt magazines, except the Pachmyer followers have round tops.

Activate the slide stop every time, and no more misfeeds. (Who needs 8 rds anyway... :) )

drail

Keep in mind that there are millions of magazines out there that say "Colt" on them but they are not made by Colt. Many people buy them and wonder why their gun suddenly stopped functioning reliably. I have about a dozen McCormick Shooting Star mags and none of them have ever failed.

GoingQuiet

I've used PLENTY of CMC mags in the past. They work and they work well. However, I've since upgraded to Wilson 47D's. They are best mag on the market in my opinion and the price reflects that.

Baphomet

My CMC Power Mags have survived three 1911's over the years. Had one mag, some years ago, that was giving me a problem (malformed feed lip) and it was replaced free of charge and without question.

I can highly recommend the Power Mags, I have not shot the Shooting Star mags.

ragwd

My Kimber Custom 2, right out of the box had FTL's. I bought some McCormick mags and never had another FTL. I also like Wilson Combats.