Chinese 9mm Tokarev Questions

B. Lahey

My favorite gunshop has a Norinco Tokarev in 9mm marked at $215 (which means I could get it for well under $200, they will wheel-and-deal on used guns), but I have a question...

Can a 9mm Tokarev be switched to 7.62x25mm with just a barrel change?

I have a bunch of cans of 7.62x25 for my CZ52 and PPSh41, and with ammo prices the way they are, I would like to use this resource. Is the 9mm tok magazine just a 7.62x25 mag with a spacer in it, or is it a different, smaller design? I didn't think to inspect the magazine carefully when I looked at it today, the magwell didn't seem to be any smaller than the one on regular toks, but I didn't measure it.

How about that price? Would $175-$185 be an ok price for a blued Chinese 9mm Tokarev in really nice shape?

Last edited:

BlueDragon

It all depends, i can't remember exactly what they are called, but there are 2 types of the 9mm Tokarev, the first can accept 7.62 if u change out the barrel and mag. However the second TT33 is known as a 213B it wont fit the casing of the 7.62 from slide, also the 213b has a type of rod thing fitted inside the mag well to accept 9mm only type mags for the TT. you can however take this out by removing the grips and driving out a small pin that holds it in place. I should know I used to own one. However like i said you would be out of luck about the slide and barrel... and a 7.62 barrel wont fit in the 213B slide.... As for saying 215... to me thats to much.. then again i only paid 100 total for the one i bought.... also btw i sold it due to it rattled bad, inaccurate, and the sights were way off.:barf:

B. Lahey

Thanks for the info.

My buddy at the gunshop called it a "Norinco 54", but I don't know if that's right or not. I'll take a look at it again tomorrow and look for the model number.

Heck, I may be able to get the price down around $150. If I can get it cheap I may just take the risk of increasing the already substantial amount of 9mm I go through and pick it up. It seemed pretty tight and well-made.

woad_yurt

Buy it!

I have one and bought it out of curiosity because it was really cheap. It turned out to be the most accurate centerfire handgun I own. It's like a target gun, accuracy-wise.

Mastiff

I have 2 Norinco Model 213's, it is the 9mm copy of the Russian TT-33. The one I shoot has over 55,000 rounds through it with no problems whatsoever. I'm saving the second one for when the first one dies, but that doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon. It is the most accurate and reliable centerfire handgun I own, and I only paid $89 each for them back in 1992.

Regarding shooting 7.62x25 vs 9mm with only a barrel change, it is quite possible. They used to sell the Model 54 with 2 separate barrels and two different types of magazines to do just that.

If you buy the pistol and don't like it I would probably be willing to buy it off you. I love these Chinese Toks, and I don't have a Model 54.

B. Lahey

I got it. It's a model 54-1 and uses regular-size tokarev mags with a spacer, so I guess I'm in good shape to swap barrels if I still want to do that after trying it out.

I could only get them down to $200 OTD, but it's not only in nice shape, it's NIB. I'm buying it to shoot rather than for the collection, so the box means little to me, but it's a nice touch.

Thanks for the help, guys.

wopen

Chinese tokarev, If they have anymore model 54-1

If where you got that tokarev, let me know I have two chinese made norinco model 54-1 with both barrels and clips, one of the best guns I have and always looking for another.:D