Chicago gun "buyback" this weekend

jimpeel

In concert with 20 area churches the Chicago police will be having their annual firearms turn-in. They will give you a $100 gift card for any working firearm -- including those worth thousands of dollars -- and $10 for replicas and BB guns.

So everyone get down there and take all of your $2 replicas and get your $10.

My favorite part of the story was this:

“No questions asked,” Wysinger said. “Just show up at the church, and hand over the weapons to the CPD officer that will be there, and get your $100 gift card. So we strongly suggest that people come out that have weapons lying around the house, or weapons, maybe, that they don’t necessarily want in their house. This is a chance to get some money for their weapon, and get another dangerous weapon on the street.” :eek:

Makes ya wonder what the Chicago police are doing with those firearms after they get them. :rolleyes:

SOURCE

Spats McGee

Administrator
I still want to set up a stand across the street and offer $125 per gun. Unfortunately, I think that'd be illegal in Chicago.

oneounceload

I still want to set up a stand across the street and offer $125 per gun. Unfortunately, I think that'd be illegal in Chicago.

Take out an ad offering that at a spot just outside Chicago........;)

Rampant_Colt

There's your chance to get yer money back on that Hi-Point, Jennings or Bryco..

imoz61.gif

aarondhgraham

Hello Spats,,,

Isn't there some way you could do it legally?,,,
Perhaps hiring someone with an FFL to do the transfer for you?

Many moons ago a cop friend of mine was working a buy-back booth in Riverside, California,,,
He was almost in tears over two guns that were turned in to be destroyed,,,
One was a shooter grade Luger and the other was a Colt SAA.

There was no way he could rescue the guns due to language in the buy-back paperwork,,,
It stated specifically that the guns were to be destroyed,,,
Even if Davy Crocket's Ole Betsy were turned in,,,
It would have to be destroyed.

I asked him if he could have just bought them before paperwork was drawn up,,,
He said the organizers of the buy-back booth prohibited that,,,
One person was "fired" for offering to buy one gun.

The cops were working the booth as private security personnel.

It's my understanding that most guns turned in are beaters,,,
But I would cry to see something historical heading to a foundry for meltdown.

One thing a person could do that would be legal,,,
Set up a table as close as possible and offer free appraisals.

That might keep some people from destroying good firearms.

Aarond

jimpeel

Buying an historic firearm at a buyback may be prohibited but informing a person of the firearm's true worth and telling them that they are about to be cheated out of hundreds, or even thousands, of dollars would not be prohibited. Free speech, and all that, you know.

DFrame

Chicago is one of the last of the big municipalities to keep using these "gun buy back" publicity stunts.
They destroy a some guns, (mostly old rusty clunkers) pat themselves on the back, then jump in front of the cameras and CLAIM to be doing something about "gun violence". It's LESS than worthless, but the anti-gun people get all excited about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

aarondhgraham

Hello jimpeel,,,

Buying an historic firearm at a buyback may be prohibited but informing a person of the firearm's true worth and telling them that they are about to be cheated out of hundreds, or even thousands, of dollars would not be prohibited. Free speech, and all that, you know.

Buying them before they are exchanged isn't prohibited by any law,,,
Unless you are in a very strict state that prohibits private transfer of a gun.

And of course you can inform the person about the true value,,,
But in the case of the buy-back in Riverside the cops were hired as private security.

It's perfectly okay to fire anyone you hire for any reason at all.

In Illinois with their laws requiring an FOID card for every firearm,,,
(At least that's how I understand the laws to be written),,,
A citizen couldn't simply buy one from it's owner.

What I was commenting about is what happens to the gun after it's turned in,,,
In the buy-back programs I have seen it's in the exchange agreement that the firearm must be destroyed.

Pro-2A activists should visit every buy-back booth and hang out,,,
Just to let the public know what they are about to trade for a $100.00 gift card.

But then again,,,
I have a worthless Phoenix pistol,,,
I would love a free $100.00 gift card in exchange.

It would buy me $100.00 worth of ammunition,,,
I would make sure I told the operators after I got my gift card. :D

Aarond

shortwave

With gun laws as strict as they are in Chicago....and we all know those strict gun laws work.... surely there's no illegal or unwanted guns there. :D

Why the 'no questions asked' policy? :confused:

checkmyswag

...and with this...Chicago and Illinois have solved the last of their problems!

The state is so deeply in debt, I'm surprised they can get the money to buy the "dangerous weapons".

How much for turning in a swimming pool so someone doesn't drown?

How about getting those dangerous cars off the tri-state?

And pianos and ropes should be next, before someone gets one dropped on their head Looney Toons style.

$1000 for your Steinway

raftman

I observed such an event here in Oregon a couple of years ago.

It seems the piece linked by Patriot86 is remarkably accurate in depicting these types of events. The median age for people turning in guns seems to have been around 55, and virtually all of them looked to be well-off suburbanites and most of the guns were things like great-grandpa's blackpowder shotgun, or dad's Arisaka, or rusty revolvers missing their cylinders, quite a few were airguns and toys too, ended up totaling ca. 140 guns turned in. I'm quite convinced not a single one of those guns was ever "on the street."

Sad thing is many of these people knew they were getting a bad deal and they just didn't care. Was able to talk to a guy with a rather pristine Arisaka, told him that his rifle was worth several times more than the $50 gift card being offered, also explained if he sold it to a gun shop, they would do a background check on whoever ended up buying it, and also very respectfully tried to impress upon him the historical significance of the rifle, but he simply said it was "a matter of principle."

TXAZ

Honest citizen vs. ....

Once they get all the honest citizens guns off the street, let see, who does that leave with guns.......

WillyKern69

I was working at a steel mill in northern Indiana when a shippment of buy back gun were coming in to be put in the smelter. It was guarded by several cops. When I looked in the bin there was a beautiful S&W in there. Minty. It had the best grips I had ever seen on a S&W. I begged the cops to let me take the grips off it. Needless to say I was wasting my breath. Into the smelter they went.
My father was chased off by police for trying to buy a scope off a rifle that the lady waiting in line was going to turn in.
As stated above this nothing but a stunt. You know how Liberals think. They go home feeling they have made the city safe. They have amazing rose colored glasses.

Last edited by a moderator:

raftman

My father was chased off by police for trying to buy a scope off a rifle that the lady waiting in line was going to turn in.

That's odd, here it seems to be quite legal to "outbid" the gun grabbers, seen it happen many times. The event I witnessed even had some sort of anti-gun "agitator" that actively discouraged the people in line from listening to the would-be outbidders or to the people who merely offered appraisals at no charge.

Skans

I wonder if the $100 gift card can be used at Dicks or Gander Mt? Besides I thought handguns were illegal in Chicago - if you show up with one without a carry license, would you get arrested.