Chiappa 92

gyvel

(1) Does anyone know who is making the Chiappa 92 lever copy?

(2) Is it available in .44 magnum?

gyvel

Thanks for the replies. I wondered if they were making their own or getting them from Uberti/Beretta and finishing them to a higher standard. I saw one today in .44-40 and it was very nicely fitted and finished.

Scorch

Chiappa/Armisport makes their own 1892 clones. Their 1892 and 1886s supposedly aare copies of the originals, with the same thread pitch on screws and all parts are supposed to be interchangeable with originals. That said, it takes a bit of fitting for some parts, but the ones I have gotten from Chiappa fit very well in originals.

In contrast, Rossi/Braztech/Puma 92s just linda look like 92s on the outside, not so much on the inside.

gyvel

In contrast, Rossi/Braztech/Puma 92s just kinda look like 92s on the outside, not so much on the inside.

That was my general impression of them, too. I was very impressed with the Chiappa.

And here's food for thought: I wonder if they procured the machinery for their 92 from Spain, where it was used to make the old "El Tigre" 92 copies prior to and during the Civil War.

kcub

I had one, it was crap. Mag would come out under recoil, they refuse to sell parts. Six months later after a trip back to Italy it came back with the same problem.

Shame it had gorgeous wood.

pricedo

Armi Sport from Italy makes the Chiappa 92.
They are sold by LSI under the "Puma" moniker.
LSI dropped Rossi and contracted Chiappa to make their Puma 92 and if you compare a Chiappa 92 with a Rossi 92 you'll know why.
They are prettier, much smoother and better quality than the Rossi 92s with none of the silly lawyer parts.
The stock of the Chiappa is beautiful walnut in contrast to the Rossi which has a jungle wood stock.
I own a Chiappa 92 in 44 rem mag.
I also own Rossi 92s which I had to practically rebuild to get them where they needed to be in functionality to be of any use to me in the hunting field.
The Chiappa 92 was good to go right out of the box.
No complaints so far.
My Chiappa DOES have a screw at the front of the magazine tube near the cap into the barrel.

pricedo

If I was a levergun builder I would thread the mag tube right into the receiver at the base especially in the heavier recoiling calibers but that would add substantially to the manufacturing overhead cost.
That would stop the forward creep under recoil.

I use my guns for hunting and don't go to the range every weekend and pound 200 rounds at steel silouettes like some do.
These guns were designed as utility guns for normal hunting use by most americans who like me can't afford to hammer away hundreds of rounds a month at steel and paper.

Hawg

I have a Rossi 92 in 44-40 and I love it. The action was a little rough out of the box but working it with some white lithium grease smoothed it right up. You can run cartridges through it with one finger now.

kcub

200 rounds a weekend? No, mine couldn't get 5 rounds off before jamming up due to the unfixable faulty design. Worst gun I've ever owned.

Ibmikey

My chippia 92 in 44-40 was used for cowboy shooting for many years without a single problem and accurate as the devil. Mine had a large loop that i did not care for, a Winchester lever from an 1898 era rifle fit right in and functions just fine. This rifle is just as reliable as any of my original Winchester's

DPris

Member Emeritus
Did I get the wrong link-through?
Nothing there of any consequence about Chiappa leverguns.
Denis

kcub

It's about Armi Sport / Armi San Marco / EMF et al. Same underlying Italian makers. Superficially nice, part fit and build quality depends on which Italian built the gun.

DPris

Member Emeritus
I saw references & discussion of IAB & Armi San Marco, didn't see any real discussion of Armi Sport.

The companies are quite different.
Denis