Chiappa 1911-22 review

raftman

Picked up one of these a few weeks ago, brand new for $265. For those not familiar, this firearm nearly duplicates the controls of the 1911 (it however lacks a grip safety). Mechanically, it's an entirely different gun; it is blowback operated and has a barrel that is fixed to the frame, chambered for .22lr. Unlike the GSG-1911's (the other well-known full size 1911-style gun available in .22lr), virtually no parts interchange with actual 1911's (other than maybe the grips).

The first impression wasn't positive, the gun has (without exaggeration) the worst fit and finish I have ever seen in any firearm, period. The slide has lots of play, to the point of rattling, a lot. The manual says this is deliberate and done for reliability purposes, but it sure feels cheap. The pot-metal Chiappalloy (or whatever they call it) doesn't feel particularly solid either. To add to my worries, the firearm would extract but rarely eject rounds when cycled manually. This may be due to the design, but still seems unusual and less than ideal. The sights are on the lousy side, perhaps more appropriate to a lower-end airsoft gun than an actual firearm. I had a hard time believing this would be a worthwhile, working gun. To be frank, it felt like a Saturday Night Special that sells for twice the price.

Here's some examples of the seemingly shoddy workmanship:

The guide rod:
1911-1.jpg

The barrel bushing:
1911-3.jpg

The surprising thing is how the gun actually performed when fired. Before firing, I cleaned the gun and oiled it appropriately. Fired 320 rounds in total, 200 CCI Mini-Mags, 50 CCI Stingers, and the rest was some sort of cheap Winchester bulk hollowpoints (to see how the gun performs with lousy ammo). I wasn't quite cruel enough to try Remington bulk just yet. Maybe after the manual-recommended break-in period is complete. The 1911-22 actually performed remarkably well. Out of those 320 rounds, there were only two stovepipes, and they occurred towards the end of the shooting session and one was with the cheap Winchester ammo, which also once failed to cycle the slide far enough to chamber a round. Not perfect performance, but again, the manual does recommend a break-in of a few hundred rounds using quality ammo, so it should improve in theory. Furthermore, the gun isn't a particularly good self-defense gun but rather a plinker that could also be a great tool for introducing a new shooter to semi-automatic handguns, something I do on a fairly routine basis. As a result, 100% reliability just isn't super important in this case.

Despite what other reviewers have said, the trigger isn't that bad. A little on the spongy side but not too heavy or otherwise bad. The gun also seems accurate. I haven't yet shot at any paper targets to see what kind of groups I'm able to get, but was able to chase around soda cans at 15 and even 25 yards with consistency.

Despite my initial misgivings, I am glad I bought the gun and think that it's a keeper. It looks cheap, feels cheap, but I guess that's ok, it's not a gun meant to be looked at, but to be fired, and the gun fires well. Despite the lousy sights, it's accurate, and despite the cheap construction it's pretty darn reliable for what it is.

1911-2.jpg

cwok

Cheap price + Feels cheap but it does a job fairly well

Good review.

I'm always impressed by a product that performs better than the reviewer expects.
I'll keep it in mind if I decide to add a .22 to use for training purposes.

I've got a .22 adaptor for my 1911 and really prefer that.
Its not for the sake of accuracy, but because its a sneaky way to teach someone how easy it is to field strip a 1911 when I say:
"OK, you're hitting the target, now lets try the same pistol with a bigger bullet" and have them swap out the slide and barrel.

Skans

If the rest of the parts look like that guide rod and barrel bushing, I wouldn't want anything to do with that gun - not my thing.

raftman

If the rest of the parts look like that guide rod and barrel bushing, I wouldn't want anything to do with that gun - not my thing.

I think those are the most egregious examples of poor-looking workmanship, and the rest of the gun isn't so bad. The work on the frame/barrel assembly leaves little to complain about, and the slide isn't bad either other than the sights.

The fit and finish is decidedly inferior to rival designs like the GSG-1911, Walther P22, Sig Mosquito, or ISSC M22. But performs as well as any of those, and better than most of them.

buymore

I purchased a NEW Chiappa today. I did compare it to the GSG and found the workmanship less than desirable in comparison, but.......at the price difference....about $75 more for the GSG....I went with the Chiappa. I took it right out of the box and fired two clips immediately with no failures and surpisingly accurate as others have stated. The manual states that the front sight is left long to file down to precise sighting. They say most will shoot apprx 3-4" low which the high front sight will allow you to file it down to sight in. They state that common cold blue will cover when finished. Mine doesn't look like it will need much. I may add some color to the front....not sure yet.

LarryFlew

To be frank, it felt like a Saturday Night Special that sells for twice the price.

Because technically it is. Due to low melting points (800 degrees) they can't be sold in states that have Saturday Night Special laws. IE Minnesota SNS law is 1000 degrees.

raftman

Just a quick update. It's nearly been 6 months and I've (not just I, a few other shooters have fired it too) got around 1,100 rounds through this pistol. The reliability has remained the same, hasn't become utterly flawless but hasn't become a jam-o-matic either. If there's any benefit to a break-in period, it hasn't really been the case with this gun. Have tried a few more varieties of ammo, including Remington Golden Bullets, and PMC Sidewinders. The former, despite its crappiness doesn't seem to give the gun any problems whatsoever, the latter feels quite anemic and around 8% of the time the Sidewinders will fail to cycle the slide properly. Wouldn't blame the gun for that. Basically, I'd say the gun isn't particularly picky about ammo, seems to like a lot more kinds than it dislikes. Given that there are countless kinds of .22lr available, it's hard to imagine a semi-auto pistol that will shoot it all perfectly.

Durability wise, the gun is holding up pretty well. The finish seems wear pretty easily, but that's really more of a cosmetic problem. Really didn't think such a cheaply-made made gun could survive more than a 1000 rounds but, now I am pretty convinced it could probably survive a few thousand more. Still pretty convinced it wasn't a bad buy.