Cheese and Guns in the UK

Glenn E. Meyer

So, I'm watching a show where they go around the world checking out cheese (www.cheeseslices.com). Very interesting - Austin has great cheese stores.

The host goes to look at farmhouse cheeses in England and the producer tells him that every once in awhile they get a big round one that is 'funky'. So how do they get rid of it?

Well, they take it out in the field and the farmers shoot it with a high power bolt gun. They discuss the best Winchester ballistic tip ammo for such. Then they shoot the cheese with a slo-mo explosion. Neat!

Quite the substitute for ballistic gel.

Interesting point - the rifle had a suppressor on it. That's the UK with tight gun controls.

Also, the cheese show host took a shot but had his eye too close to the end of the scope and took a whack.

Strange thing to see on a food show. Maybe I can get the local TX cheese folks to donate a bad cheese for the next match? There is quite a set of artisanal cheese farms here now.

Last edited:

wogpotter

Supressors are regarded differnetly in the U.K. not an "evile gangster" thing, but an "enviro friendly noise pollution reducer".
:eek:

BigD_in_FL

Interesting point - the rifle had a suppressor on it. That's the UK with tight gun controls.
It is the same as NZ - a safety device, nothing more - just as it should be here. They are bought OTC with no big deal. Imagine the prices of all of our brands (which are sold there) if they were an OTC item.........

Supressors are regarded differnetly in the U.K. not an "evile gangster" thing, but an "enviro friendly noise pollution reducer"
That's how they're regarded in many parts of the world.

In the US, President Roosevelt was running out of revenue sources to fund his various and sundry programs, so taxing the heck out of certain firearms-related stuff made sense. Hence the NFA.

Characterizing the use of silencers as the tools of assassins in popular culture helped with that.

KyJim

Starting out, shooters could shoot at the 'big cheese." In case of a tie, they could back up and go for head shots; "head cheese," as it were. It wouldn't be a good idea to use Swiss cheese since it's full of holes anyway -- you'd never get an accurate score. Beer cheese and port cheese would be banned; alcohol and guns do not mix.

I gotta' million of 'em. :D

BigD_in_FL

In the US, President Roosevelt was running out of revenue sources to fund his various and sundry programs, so taxing the heck out of certain firearms-related stuff made sense. Hence the NFA.

Really? you believe that?

egor20

My FIL in England has a little plinker .22 that he uses for rabbits I kinda chuckled when I saw the suppressor and I explained that we need $200 tax, the price of the suppressor and around 7 months to get one. He looked at me and said well if you have 100 Pounds and an hour we can go down to the store for one. :D:eek:

BigD_in_FL

yep, most folks here never seem to travel beyond their state borders, let alone their country borders and have NO idea how things work elsewhere

dakota.potts

I was watching a review of a CZ 452 on YouTube once. The reviewer was from England and explained that a suppressor was included with purchase of the gun.

DaleA

KyJim post #6...

I knew, absolutely KNEW it was coming but I didn't know when and I didn't know who.

(I really do like this forum.)

wogpotter

I was in a club in the U.K. where "sound moderators" were mandatory. The club was in town & the "Noise Abatement Act" required us to keep sall sounds below 85 DB. So "sound moderation" was legally required.

It was a small town club, an indoor range with 8 firing points.
& over 500 members!:):rolleyes:

To put this into context though, in reality there's virtually no difference in supressor ownership from the regulatory point of view in the two countries.

The process to aquire & maintain a firearms certificate in the U.K. was (not sure currently, its been a while) about the same as the process for NFA (National Firearms Act) items over here. So you went through a similar process either way, it just that you did it earlier before aquiring a firearm & having a need for a sound moderator.;)

Last edited:

Colt46

The rest of the world

Views suppressors as effective and necessary tools for noise abatement. In this country they are tools of the criminal and are banned for the most part.

I can not remember ever hearing a suppressor being used in the commission of a crime in the U.S.
It may have happened, but I've never found any hard data.

My state bans their use in hunting, and we've been trying to get that changed for several years. The primary objection is from conservationists, who bemoan the use of improvised, illegal suppressors by poachers. Convincing them that we're talking about two completely different things has been tricky.

Webleymkv

I seem to remember reading at one time that in a particular European country (I want to think Norway or Sweden but I'm not sure) that not only are suppressors legal to own, but they're legally required when hunting to cut down on noise pollution.