Cheddite 209 primers?

impalacustom

I'm trying to reload some heavy field loads for a 12ga 2 3/4"and all I can find anywhere are Cheddite CX2000 primers. I'll be using old CF Winchester AA hulls, RP12 wads and Longshot powder. I have a few concerns and am wondering if anyone has used these primers before in anything not trap loads. Hodgdon has no info and I called and they said the primers aren't hot enough to light off heavy loads especially in the cold weather, I'll have failure to fire. Cheddite says they'll work but has no load information. My two main concerns are pressure with an unknown primer and the actual primer size causing issues in the AA hulls primer pocket.
Anyone with actual experience with these primers, I'd like to hear from you.

akinswi

They will go "Bang".
Or, you can wait for your favorite brand to be available again.
My understanding the cheddite primers are slightly bigger than winchesters 209. Which is better than if they were smaller.

The only issue I see is if you start loading them you might stretch your primer pockets in your winchester hulls and then you when you go use a winchester 209 may not be a snug fit.

I know winchester primers dont fit just right in fioccchi hulls never used cheddite

I dont see why you couldn’t use the same load data tho. You can always reach out the manufacturer and see what they say

Last edited:

GE-Minigun

I've used them in THOUSANDS of reloads...THOUSANDS. Same size as Win209, I go back and forth between the two, for the only reason they are both on the shelf and I use what I grab...they are a little hotter, but not enough that I worry about it