Checking Primer pocket

ShootingNut

Somewhere I read, one should always check the primer pocket for any crud, and scrape it out with a flat screwdriver or tool. When using a Turret press, or a Progressive Press, who pulls the casing out after the die has punched out the old primer, to inspect and scrape if needed?
Or, is this suggestion for a single stage press operation? I'm new, still learning!
Thanks!

CrustyFN

I don't clean primer pockets on pistol brass and I don't load rifle yet. You will probably find that most people don't clean primer pockets for pistol.
Rusty

tharmer

It works for me because I deprime and resize my brass, then tumble it. After it's tumbled, I trim, clean the primer hole, chamfer inside and outside...then run it through the progressive press (LoadMaster) again, resizing again, priming, filling, seating, and a final resize. Then a light tumble of the finished rounds and I'm done. Beautiful rounds. Proud to put them in my gun. It's a hobby after all.

TEDDY

primer cleaning

I too decap/but I clean/then prime with hand tool/then run thu press.i like it that way because i've had trouble in the past with primer feed.

Abstract

You are a real perfectionist man, I'll bet they are beautiful reloads, keep it up to each his own!

If he were a perfectionist, you wouldn't find the word, "Loadmaster", in his post. ;) Also wouldn't find him doing all that supercilious crap with his reloads. :D

amamnn

if you are going to load match rounds, then by all means clean the primer pocket and deburr the flash hole. After you've been doing it for a while, you'll notice that all the tool you really need is the primer pocker uniformer, because you'll need to uniform ever 2- 4 reloadings or so, anyway, and nothing cleans the pocket better than your uniformer, once you've set it.