checkering

jimsbowies

I just returned from a one-day, intensive tactical pistol course at Blackwater....great experience but that's another story.

During this very active shooting day, one of my classmates had a Springfield, Rock River, Kimber...frankly I don't know which one...that had checkering on the front strap...

By the end of the day and some 600 or more rounds, his shooting hand looked like it had been through a meat grinder...

My Colt Commander (a Gunsite pistol) doesn't have checkering and I didn't have the old "meat grinder" hand at the end of the day.

Any thoughts from you guys on this issue of checkering....:confused:

Erik

In no particular order:

Hand wear, be it from checkering, flooring tape, or whatever, varies from person to person. That said, I wouldn't worry too much about another's experience with it.

Checkering typically comes in 30 lpi or 20 lpi, with 20 lpi causing most comments about hand wear I've seen. Then again, if your hands are wet, say from blood or another fluids, the extra bite comes in handy, so they say.

25 lpi checkering is considered an ideal compromise by some.

Not all checkering is equal. Some have sharp points. Others dulled points. I imagine it makes quite a bit of difference for some.

Checkering is both attractive and functional. When done well.

9mmepiphany

his checkering was too sharp/course

many folks go with 20lpi which is very popular with the ipsc crowd...great grip but very hard on hands and clothing. 30lpi is much more "hand friendly"

i think well done checkering is beautiful, but be aware that it does not hold up well to being dropped or banged about.

serrations work better than many people believe and is quite a bit easier on your hands. there are many front strap treatments available and mostly it is a matter of personal taste. my personal favorite are "conamyds", which are flat topped cones separated by 4-pointed stars by ned christiansen

www.m-guns.com