Checked Another Off The “Always Wanted” List

44caliberkid

While snobirding in Arizona I found this Savage 99 in 300 Savage, made in 1953. Included nice leather sling and case. Very good condition, no extra holes drilled in the receiver. I was very happy at $600 out the door. Also very happy that Arizona just passed no sales tax on firearms this year.

Attachments

• 7A985B5C-FD74-4D6F-A8AC-0D9809690A7E.jpeg
    7A985B5C-FD74-4D6F-A8AC-0D9809690A7E.jpeg
    454.3 KB · Views: 152

105kw

Very nice, it's a 99EG model.
I hope you take it hunting, they are great deer guns, and don't do bad on elk either.

44 AMP

Staff
My Dad's Uncle Jim had one like that, when he passed, my Dad had it for a couple decades. We called it "the big stick", in the Adirondack deer woods where the majority of hunters carried a .30-30 or .32 Special.

I had it for several years after my father passed, and I eventually gave it in trade to a good friend who loves Savage 99s and the .300 Savage cartridge.

While that rifle has many treasured memories, I have several other guns of more value to me in that way, and its in a good home now, with someone who also treasures it for what it is.

Uncle Jim had a scope on his, an JC Higgins (Weaver) 2.5x post/crosswire. When my dad got the rifle, the scope had been removed, and the mounts were off the rifle and apparently lost. Did just fine with the semi buckhorn iron sights though. I have that scope, and its on my original deer rifle, a Rem 600 .308 Winchester. There are better scopes today, there were back then, but that one works fine, and that Savage 99, and my Rem, and that scope all hunted together when I was 16 and 17. ..took a few nice bucks, about 50 years ago, too.
:)

105kw

Sarge, the only problem with the .308 99s are the prices most people want for them.
If you can find a good 300 Savage, at a decent price give it a look.
It is a really good deer cartridge, and with modern powders, you can boost the velocity by maybe 100fps.

bamaranger

the way it used to be

The Savage 99/.300 was common in the deer woods when I was a kid. I've always thought they were sleek, handsome rifles. Interest has grown in them given some gun press in the past decade or so.

The straight gripped carbine model is on my list, though I've never seen a real one! Your new rifle is very clean and a good buy. Congrats

taylorce1

Well I had a Savage 99A in .358 Win. It was probably me, but I didn't find much enjoyment with that rifle. I sold it to someone who appreciated it more. I like a Winchester or Marlin lever action, but I think I expected more out of the Savage 99. Its accuracy was acceptable, but I hated the trigger. I also had issues with optics on it. Recoil wasn't horrible but it did lile to jump around.

FITASC

Sarge, the only problem with the .308 99s are the prices most people want for them.
If you can find a good 300 Savage, at a decent price give it a look.
It is a really good deer cartridge, and with modern powders, you can boost the velocity by maybe 100fps.

Even more horrific are the prices for one in 7-08!

44 AMP

Staff
It is somewhat amusing, with most things, when they are discontinued, (generlly because they are no longer selling well), and dealers discount them in order to get rid of them, with firearms, it seems that when a model/caliber goes out of production (again, because its not selling well - enough-) many people immediately RAISE the price of existing stock, because NOW, they are "collector's items". :rolleyes:

7mm-08 Savage 99s were made in (apparently) small numbers in the last couple years before Savage ended the model 99 production.

Small number made, fixed supply (out of production) so its a case of paying whatever the guy who has one wants for it.

I recall one time, just after Winchester announced closing their last US plant, everything marked Winchester at the gun show jumped in price. Long guns went up about $100 and all the other Winchester stuff, from pocket knives to tie tacs went up 20-50%.

came down a bit after a while, but never went back to what it was...

then went up again, later...:rolleyes:

armoredman

Beautiful rifle sir...Arizona did NOT pass HB2166, the transaction privilege tax relief for firearms - it died in the Senate. I wish we had.