Check This Out from Lee Precision!

jmortimer

Saw it on the Lee Precision web site a while back - they made a great tool greater. Love Lee Precision. Have to get two of those new Auto Prime tools.

FrankenMauser

Brand New Lee Hand Primer Tool! 'nuff said.

"'nuff said." ?

Just because it's new, doesn't mean it's better.

And... it still uses Auto Prime shell holders. Lee's tolerances on shell holders are absolutely terrible. Trying to be precise with imprecise tools is a futile effort.

Don't get me wrong. I still think the Auto Prime is one of the easiest hand primers to use. It's just that the thing is extremely prone to breakage, wears out quicker than anything else, and requires special shell holders (and some non-mainstream cartridges don't have these special shell holders available).

I don't see the new tool as much of an improvement, though. I see it as a sales gimmick. It's a way for Lee to get all of their Auto Prime owners to buy the "new" version; only to find out, 4 months down the road, that it's just as unreliable.

I predict broken trays, and the lever breaking a little farther up than the older version (so, now, it might actually cause some nasty lacerations to unfortunate fingers).

Time will tell...

jmortimer

Actual owner review are overwhelmingly positive. Some people crab about the Auto Prime but some prople crab about anything and everything. Nothing is perfect but for the $$$ the Auto Prime comes close and if properly lubed it will last a very long time. On Midway USA 122 positive reviews (the majority 5/5 star) and 28 negative reviews. Same thing at Cabelas 31 out of 35 actual owners recommend product. For the $$$ nothing compares. The "new" Auto Prime looks to be as good or better. It is no wonder Lee Precision is # 1

Jim243

FrankenMonster, get a life.

Nice price, but I don't see enough of a change to retire my Auto Prime that I have been using for the last 6 years. Curved handle and square tray.

Looked at gettng a RCBS unit as a spare, but at twice the price of the Lee, it did not make any sense. Looks like I will be getting another Auto Prime.

Jim

Stargazer

I broke many a lever as well on mine too. I finally added a touch of lube to the pin and lever surfaces and it is so much smoother and has not broken yet. I also added a small section of rubber hose to the bottom section. Just slides on there and gives ya something to hang on to so it doesn't slip around in your hand. :)

snuffy

And... it still uses Auto Prime shell holders. Lee's tolerances on shell holders are absolutely terrible. Trying to be precise with imprecise tools is a futile effort.

So-----then why does K&M use the lee auto prime shell holders in their ultra precise primer seater?

You, of course, have proof of your claim?

I've had nothing but good service from lee's products, and service promptly when I broke something by my own ham-handed-ness. Always replaced free and in less than a week!

I just put a new one on my cart at Midway. Won't have the $$ for a couple more weeks to complete the order.

GWS

Quote:
"'nuff said." ?
Nuff said because the Graf link already said what's important.
Just because it's new, doesn't mean it's better.
True statement...even though its not relevent here, because in this case it is way better. How?
-For one thing it's safer. Finally all brands of primers have Lee's blessing to use in this tool, not just CCI, and Winchester.
-The tray besides being safer is square to fit boxes of primers...finally.
-The handle is finally shaped so that it can be used in comfort...without the thumb or fingers getting sore.
-The handle won't break.

And... it still uses Auto Prime shell holders. Lee's tolerances on shell holders are absolutely terrible. Trying to be precise with imprecise tools is a futile effort. So you're saying Sinclair and K&M make imprecise tools? You don't know what you're talking about.

Don't get me wrong. I still think the Auto Prime is one of the easiest hand primers to use. It's just that the thing is extremely prone to breakage, wears out quicker than anything else, and requires special shell holders (and some non-mainstream cartridges don't have these special shell holders available).

You know after using Lees hand primer for 38 years, I admit I upgraded to a superior tool, RCBS's universal shell holder APS tool....But that's because I use an RCBS Pro 2000 now and have a lifetime suppy of APS primers in strips.

That doesn't mean this new Lee isn't a great tool for almost everybody else. I used the original Lee Tool one primer at a time, and upgraded to the trayed version...never broke either tool...probably because I don't force my tools.

I don't see the new tool as much of an improvement, though. I see it as a sales gimmick. It's a way for Lee to get all of their Auto Prime owners to buy the "new" version; only to find out, 4 months down the road, that it's just as unreliable.

Riighht! It's a sales gimmick to finally give the very features to their customers that they have been clammering about for 10 years???

I predict broken trays, and the lever breaking a little farther up than the older version (so, now, it might actually cause some nasty lacerations to unfortunate fingers).

Time will tell...

Talk about a half empty sort...you have my permission to totally ignore any of my future posts....please. Go crap on your own threads.

BigJakeJ1s

Still uses only the thumb to actuate. My thumb would still get numb.

Still needs separate and unique shell holders.

Tray still does not detach from handle and lay flat on bench for easy loading or on shelf/drawer for storage.

Tray still does not have a means of closing off the chute to keep primers from spilling out.

The RCBS Universal Hand Primer still does not have any of these problems.

Andy

TXGunNut

I've worn out a few (OK, several!) Auto Primes and used to keep a NIB spare in my loading bench. Just broke out my spare so will put the new machine on my list as well. I have a set of the Lee primer shell holders and have no complaints about them but if I had an issue I'd bet my next paycheck the folks @ Lee would resolve it to my satisfaction if I would take the trouble to contact them.
Just added Richard Lee's Modern Reloading to my extensive reloading library, don't agree with everything I've read so far but the different viewpoint is refreshing and informative. Richard Lee is a reloader's reloader and I couldn't enjoy my hobby at my current level without his products.
Thanks for the tip, GWS. I saw the product in passing but missed the full text.

FrankenMauser

You, of course, have proof of your claim?

I've had nothing but good service from lee's products, and service promptly when I broke something by my own ham-handed-ness. Always replaced free and in less than a week!

I have no 'proof of my claim'.

All I have is experience. Lee's shell holders are some of the loosest, most unpredictable I have ever seen. I actually own several that were so bad, I had to buy replacements from other manufacturers (I even complained to Lee about a #2 {.30-06 case head} -- the replacement they sent me was worse than the original). Lee takes the stance that "if it fits, it works", for cartridges the shell holder wasn't actually designed for. It might "work", but rarely, is it a good fit. And, as I was saying, even if you're using the cartridge the shell holder was designed for, the tolerances are so bad it is often possible to work the case right out the top. In some instances, there is enough side-play to get a cartridge more than 0.015" off center. That's not exactly conducive to primer seating, sizing, bullet seating.... or anything, really.

Can you prove your claim of 'speedy, free replacement'? (See the point here? Opinions are what we're dealing with; with anecdotal evidence.)

FrankenMonster, get a life.

Nice price, but I don't see enough of a change to retire my Auto Prime that I have been using for the last 6 years. Curved handle and square tray.

Looked at gettng a RCBS unit as a spare, but at twice the price of the Lee, it did not make any sense. Looks like I will be getting another Auto Prime.

I voiced my opinion, just as you did. (Your statements are contradictory, by the way.)

GP100man

I`m waitin for the square hopper for the autoprime II :confused:

I wish my hands were in shape enuff to use the autoprime , but yrs. of wrenchin has taken it`s toll!!!:(

Gettin old is :barf:!!!

I agree with floydster , if not for Richard Lee`s products alot of people would`nt be shootin as much as they do !!!! or ever would have given reloading a second thought !!!

I still have 2 autoprimes 1 for small & 1 for large , it`s so simple to get em to workin my girls prefer em !!!

Crankylove

Always replaced free and in less than a week!

They replaced my Auto Prime's broken parts for free too...........each time it broke, and broke again, and broke again......

For the $8 I paid for my Auto Prime, it's better than beating primers in with a hammer.......depending on the day.

I just wish the thumb lever would stop breakin on me, on my fourth lever in two years.......and I do oil it......wish the shell holders were a little tighter fit.......and not special to that tool only.......and wish the lever was easier on the thumb. I like the square tray idea on the new Auto Prime, but its not enough for me to buy another priming tool from Lee.

Jim243

FrankenMonster,

What are you talking about - the case holders for the Auto Prime and nothing like those for a press? You had to use another mfg's?

It is apparent that you have never used an Auto Prime or know anything about them.

Have a nice day.
Jim

I've primed 50,000+ cases, handgun and rifle, with my Lee priming tool, which I bought in the early 1980s.

It is original in all ways. I've never had a part break, nor have I replaced any parts on it prophylactically.

Stumper

I've been using a pair of Lee hand priming tools for over 20 years.........but I bought the new unit simply because the cover on my old units don't lock on very well anymore. The feel of the new tool is different-the primer fully seqts much earlier in the stroke than on my old ones. The new tool isolates the seating operation from the tray of primers rather ingeniously. The new tool has a steel linkage rather than the Zymak or whatever of the old style tool. The cover locks on much better on the new unit. I'm still not acclimatized to the different feel of the newer tool but it certainly seems to be an improved design in every way.
I almost forgot the flipper feature (texture of the tray that lets you shake the primers into the upright position) works better on the new one also.