Check out my Carbine

TX Hunter

This is My Ruger M77 Frontier, With a one Inch Spacer, Packmyer Recoil Pad and a Leupold VX 2 3x9x40 Scope.
I was gonna mount a Scout Scope on it, but found out you loose usable daylight in the evening and morning. I hunt with the rifle, and have killed a Deer with it at about 150 Yards. Its a 308.:)
03-12-10_102.jpg
:)
03-12-10_102-1.jpg

TX Hunter

Hey Abe,

Thanks for asking, believe it or not, I get just under an inch off the rest, the Rifle was supposed to be a 2MOA, but its better.
Its short handy and accurate, I have really enjoyed it.

bamaranger

Very nice

Scout or not, you can't beat the utility/versatility of a bolt carbine in .308.

+1 on the sling.

Your a bit over glassed for my tastes, but its your rifle.

Good shooting.

Chris_B

Nice carbine :)

The sling is a USGI type M1907 sling with brass hooks and stitched ends and keepers...who made that sling, TX Hunter? Was it from Les Tam in Hawaii?

TX Hunter

Thanks One OldoldSap,
I thought about removing the scout rail, but keep thinking about one day maby getting a Scout Scope, and a couple of sets of Warn Quick Detach Rings, changing scopes, depending on the situation. I dont know, Im just wierd like that:D

Chris,
Im not sure who made the sling, I have had it for ages, several years ago I bought an old Winchester pump .22 from a friend, It had that sling on it.
I just thought it would look cool on the Carbine, so I put it on there.
Its nice, when I am not using the sling I pull it op tight and out of the way, then when on the move, I let it out.

The only thing I didnt like about this rifle was the LOP, so I added the spacer and the recoil pad, it now has a 13.5 LOP, and the pad really cut down on recoil.

James R. Burke

Nice set up. The scope is very nice also. Last year I bought two new rifles for myself and the wife. Same scopes. Got the 3x9x40mm century limited editions Leupold, with the L.R.D. I believe it's called. Dont think I will ever need that feature but nice to have. No adjustments of dialing stuff around, that I do like. Being a limited edition it came packed with a retro collector tin, coin, and a really nice custom knife and sheath. I think it may have cost about 25.00 more. I figure the knife was worth that. I believe there are a few out there yet. We both got the same rifle a Ruger No 1 light sporter, and like I said the same scope. There carbon copys. Same length, weight etc. You cant tell them apart except for the wood. Hers is a .243 and I got the 30-06. I reload so its nice if I switch to hers for varmints it all looks the same. They both shoot under 1" at 100 yards with five shot groups. So I am happy with that being they are light sporters. You should be very happy with your set up it is very nice. Looks like you done it right. If you ever need to change base's no big deal. But sounds like it is all working good. I always had good luck with Ruger, and I am sure you will with yours. I think you have a good caliber also. Enjoy the new rifle. Nice. I also like the scope set up nice and low good job.

Dave R

You DO need to try a scout scope. They are great to hunt with. As fast on target as a red dot, but way more precision at longer range.

NOT as precise as a traditional 3X9, but for deer at 150 yards, its good.

Chris_B

Chris,
Im not sure who made the sling, I have had it for ages, several years ago I bought an old Winchester pump .22 from a friend, It had that sling on it.
I just thought it would look cool on the Carbine, so I put it on there.
Its nice, when I am not using the sling I pull it op tight and out of the way, then when on the move, I let it out.

I think it is possible that that is an original M1907 sling that was cut down. It looks great on your carbine

oneoldsap

The problem I see with the scout system is light gathering . The first half hour of light and the last half hour of light are the prime time to catch deer on the move . You can't see through that scout scope setup until it's daylight and you are done early too . I know this because I have tried it !

bamaranger

loop up

Hey Tx, No insult intended. You do know how to "loop up" in that sling, right?

I'm not going to touch the scout scope issue, I've done that bit enough for a while.

TX Hunter

MR Bamaranger,

Loop Up, Yes Sir, I learned how to do that in The Marine Corps.
Yes Sir, Both the Loop, and Hasty Sling. Slow Steady Squeeze, Breath Controll, Sight Alighnment, Sight Picture, Natural Point of aim, "When The Rifle Fires It should Suprise you"
"The Rifle is an extension of your body"