"Check guns at door"

MosinM38

Okay...

A local store has a "Check guns at door" sign taped to their front doorrs.

What does this equate? They only in the last year or two got into the guns business (Although they've had ammo forever). NO used, strictly new, and no trades allow.

Does this mean ANY gun has to be checked? CCW? Long guns coming into the store? But I don't see a huge need for that.

It's not a "NO CCW on premises" sign, but I didn't quite know what to call it.

Thanks.

ZeSpectre

You are a little light on information.
Your location (what State) can have a big impact on how much such a sign actually means.

We've got a "sporting and hunting" store near me in Virginia that has a sign that says "no loaded firearms including concealed carry allowed in store".

Now legally that carries no weight at all in Virginia, but what it really means to me is that store doesn't get my business.

zoomie

A lot of times, stores like Cabela's or GM - places that buy used guns or have a gunsmith on staff - will have a "check guns at door" or equivalent sign at the front. Usually they're referring to guns you plan to handle while there. I think it was my GM that went so far as to spell out "Concealed carry is ok, we're talking about guns you plan to take out of their case or holster." I of course can't speak to your situation with more detail, but that's a common sign.

Deerhunter

My favorite shop in PA has a sign that all guns must be unloaded and in a case. I asked about it one day when I was in there. They told me that carry weapons don't count. They only have to be unloaded and in a case if you are bringing them in to the range or for service or trade. Most of the guys that work there carry also. Great shop. I have never had a problem in there and they are always willing to help. I have never been in the place and heard any of the stories that I read here about gun shops. I am sure they deal with their fair share of stupid people but they are always willing to help. I moved to Northern VA in 2006 and I still go up there for most stuff I need.

If your in PA outside of Philly check it out.

French Creek Outfitters
270 Schuylkill Rd
Phoenixville, PA 19460
(610) 933-7200
www.frenchcreekoutfitters.com

Sevens

I think those replies cover the original question.
If they don't cover it, then here's a loud "+1!" for those folks who benefit from them.

What I'd like to say is that this is EXACTLY what we need for those joints where nobody can EVER carry legally... and in specifics, I mean something like a sports area or venue.

If I could check my firearm when I arrive and leave, I would LOVE that as a compromise to simply not being allowed to carry. Yes, I know that compromise sucks, but I don't see us ever being allowed to carry in a large venue like a sporting event. But the two biggest problems I have with that (besides the obvious of being forced to disarm) is that:

1) The walk from the car to the building and back to the car puts you in (most often!) one of the most dangerous and crime-ridden environments in most folks' normal schedule. Typically, it's downtown in a huge city in America. Typically the area between the lot and front door of a pro sports venue is right in or near the armpit of the most populous place within a hundred or more miles, and attending the event leaves you open at a really lousy time.

2) For all the reasons detailed above, your car is a target parked here MORE than ever. It's in a lousy place that typically unwatched and every car in the lot is almost guaranteed to be left until the 9th innning, the 4th quarter, the 3rd period, etc etc. It's not rocket science. You leave a car in front of a pro sport facility, even a moron car thief knows when you are coming back... and when you AREN'T.

Please don't tell me that I should simply stay home if I don't like it. I do understand that is always my option... it's just a crappy option. That would be no different than me telling YOU to buy a Glock.

Checking guns at the door of a gun store? That's ridiculous if they are referring to concealed carry. Concealed means concealed. They are asking for an ND if they were to do that.

Dannyl

Not necessarily a bad option

Hi,
we have some places like that here too.
Most gun-shops insist that you clear your firearm at the door (too many people pulling a gun out unnanounced and it makes one nervous, especially when some of them are "less than profficient".

There are venues where one may not take the gun past reception, there you get to lock it in a safe provided for it, you get the key and a receipt.

This is IMO a far better alternative to not being able to carry at all if you know htat you have to be in such a place, or to have to leave a gun in a car while you are there.

At least here most places where you may not bring a firearm are very secure, so you do not compromise too much by handing in your firearm while you are in.

Brgds,
Danny

bikerbill

RE Zoomie's post, did a doubletake the last time I visited Cabela's, I saw that sign about checking guns without reading it carefully; after muttering fat chance, I went back and read it again .. it refers only to guns that you purchased there and are returning for whatever reason or guns that need gunsmithing .. concealed carry is NOT what the sign refers to ...

My regular gunshop has a sign on entering, it says, "please keep your hands in sight at all times." no denial of CC, just a common-sense (hate that phrase) bit of instruction that could save you a lot of embarrasment or worse -- everybody working in the shop open carries ...

Last edited:

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Does this mean ANY gun has to be checked? CCW? Long guns coming into the store? But I don't see a huge need for that.

It's not a "NO CCW on premises" sign, but I didn't quite know what to call it.

I don't know about Cabela's but Gander Mountain and Bass Pro both have a similar sign that says at the bottom "This does not apply to handguns carried by Concealed Carry Permit holders"

MosinM38

In MT (I am pretty sure) a store must actually have a "NO CCW on premises" sign to block you from carrying.

I'm taking it as they mean anything other than CCW.

But, next time I'm there I'll ask. I had sorta figured playing dumb would be the better approach ;) first offense wouldn't be more than "Take it off and leave it in the outfit", but, over half the employees are shooters so even being careful, it'd eventually get noticed ;)

orionengnr

Different states have different laws, and what may be a legal and binding sign in one state is a suggestion (or a joke) in another.

raftman

What annoys me is the differences in how various gun shops perform the check at the door.

At my favorite gun shop, they're very cool about these things. If I am looking for a holster or something, I'll come in, the pistol is in an aluminum case, mag is not in the gun, and the slide is locked back. They'll just say something like, "Well, let's take a look at what ya got." and then they check it and we go from there. Too bad they don't always have what I am looking for, and I have to look elsewhere sometimes.

At my least favorite place, they'll treat you like you're about to hold up the place or worse. I come in there, same case and gun is in the same condition, am met at the door, and the employee literally yells, "Ok, set it down over there to your right, and step away! Someone will be here to check it in a minute!" I almost expect for them to ask me to get on the ground and put my hands on the back of my head!

Both these shops are very self-defense oriented (rather than hunting/sporting/competition) so I don't quite understand the difference in the approach. It almost seems as though the "bad" shop, has the same assumption that anti-gun folks do, that anyone with a gun is a bad guy until proven otherwise.

Zilmo

Sheesh Raftman, that second place sounds nasty! My favorite place requires all guns coming in to be in a case or a holster, no big deal. They have a range, so I am always carrying my range bag in and they just smile, say hello and ask me if I need any targets or ammo.

Jbar4Ranch

Sportsman's Warehouse and Wholesale Sports have signs saying: "Please Check Guns at Customer Service", but it doesn't apply to CCW or holstered open carry. As long as it remains holstered, fine, but if a customer is walking around the store and decides to try some new leather and needs to remove the gun from its holster, we ask them to exit the store, clear the gun, and check it in at Customer Service.