Cheapest way to harden stick-ons

Nomadicone

A friend gave me a bunch of stick-on wheel weights. I just need to get them hard enough for 45 ACP, somewhere in the 11-12 BHN. Can someone give me some direction on the cheapest (hopefully easiest) way to harden stick-on wheel weights? Also, and I'm assuming it will involve mixing metals, where can I get the metal I need.

GP100man

1/2 Wheel weights is good tin will help but over 2% is

Slug ya bore & size to fit ya probably can get by with a 800fps load as is .

zxcvbob

Many stick-on weights are zinc now. If even one Zn weight gets by and melts into your lead, it will ruin the batch to the point that the hardness won't matter.

Cheapest way to harden lead is to add magnum lead shot because it contains both antimony and arsenic. It should just take a little. Then you'll need to add a little tin (lead-free solder) to get it to cast nice and sharp.

Or, just mix the stick-on weights (after you've removed any ZN weights) with an equal amount of clip-ons and get your antimony and tin that way.

hornady

This should help you.
Composition and Hardness
Trace of
Alloy Tin% Antimony% Lead% BHN Arsenic

Foundry Type 15 23 62 ? No
Monotype 9 19 72 28 No
Stereotype 6 14 80 23 No
Linotype 4 12 84 22 No
Lyman # 2 5 5 90 15 No
Electrotype 3 2.5 94.5 12 No
1 to 10 tin/lead 9 --- 91 11.5 No
1 to 20 tin/lead 5 --- 95 10 No
1 to 30 tin/lead 3 --- 97 8 No
1 to 40 tin/lead 2.5 --- 97.5 6-7 No
Hard Ball 2 6 92 16 No
Clip-on wheel weight .5 3-4 95.5 10 Yes
96.5 12
Stick-on wheel weight * ** 99.5 6 No
# 8 Magnum Shot --- 4% 96% Yes
# 8 Chilled Shot --- 2-3% 97 *** Yes
Plumbers Lead --- --- ****100 No
Lead --- --- 100 5 No

riverwalker76

Water quenching will also harden the stick on wheel weights. I have found my most recent buckets to be 10% Zinc instead of lead. That's a minimal loss for the 90% of lead stick-ons I get.

snuffy

Water quenching will also harden the stick on wheel weights.

I disagree. Stick on or adhesive wheel weights are nearly pure lead. They might have a small amount of tin in them, but no antimony or arsenic. Lead and tin will not heat treat, which is what water quenching is. You absolutely need both antimony and arsenic to heat treat lead.

A good source of both is magnum shot. I didn't say cheap, but not much would be required to allow heat treating stick-ons, to a much harder state. You'd still need some tin. That's available as lead free solder. Get the stuff that's 95% tin and 5% antimony.

By the time and expense of making this stuff usable, you could break even by buying already alloyed, guaranteed, alloy from roto metals. Especially if you sold it to a muzzle loader that casts his own balls and conical bullets.

reloader28

Whats wrong with just plain old 20/1 pure lead/ tin?
Its supposed to be as hard as WW alloy, but more malable. I aint tried it yet, but am going to shortly in my 30/30.
I know guys that do use it and like it.

hornady

As Snuffy said arsenic is the main ingredient needed for heat-treating. Stick on weights are just about pure lead, I have tested them for hardness.
45ACP bullets do not need to be overly hard to begin with, the easiest way to harden alloy up is to find some Lyno or Mono type, Antimony is the main hardening alloy in Lead, Lyno is 11% antimony, if you go fishing in the Evil-BAY, be careful on the S&H charges, if bidding there, I only bid of 50+ pound lots. Most times I can get it for about $1.75 a pound shipped.

Nomadicone

Sorry to bring this up again but I am finally going to be someplace Monday where I can buy some magnum shot without having to pay shipping. Is this shot going to melt in my Lymn Mag 20 pot? How much magnum shot do I need for say a pound of sick on weights? All I need is to get it hard enough for 45 ACP, 38 Spl and 45 Colt. About to clip-on wheel weights. Thanks much!

m&p45acp10+1

Also 95/5 solder will help. It is lead free 95% tin 5% antimony. I pay about $15 for a 1 pound roll of it. It does not take a whole lot of it. Break off a few wraps at a time. Cast a few, check the hardness, keep adding a small amount of solder till they are at the hardness you desire.

Nomadicone

Thanks much for the response on solder but I have had a heck of a time finding solder that meets 95/5. I have even asked at my local hardware store and they can't tell me what the make up is and it isn't posted on the label. Strange! Can you give me a brand and a recommendation on where to get it. I have kind of given up on the whole solder thing and have leaned toward Lynotype or magnum shot.

salvadore

Bob, I added some chilled shot to my wheel weights that were destined for a gas checked 32/20 bullet I am going to use in my Marlin at an enhanced speed, water quenched of course. I dunno if wheel weights need any extra arsenic, but these suckers are hard.

Edward429451

Oh go into a plumbing supply house where the plumbers go get thier parts. They'll have any kind of solder you could imagine. They even still sell 50/50 solder because you can use it on boilers.

m&p45acp10+1

There are several different companies that make the 95/5 solder.(95 percent tin and 5 percent antimony) it should say on the side of the roll, or the package. It is refered to in slang as "plumbers silver". Plumbers use it on metal fresh water pipes. You can find it at a welding supply store. That is where I get mine from. Also a plumbing store would probably have it.