cheapest centerfire handgun ammo?

B. Lahey

Milsurp 7.62x25mm was crazy cheap the last time I bought some cans. It may have gone up some, but I bet it's still very affordable.

(downside- it smells like burning garbage, is very corrosive, and can be quite inconsistent)

44 AMP

Staff
Overall, excluding military surplus, the cheapest is 9mm Luger FMJ. This is due to the volume of production.

dnr1128

My range ammo I shoot now is Federal 115 FMJ 9mm, $10.4X/50rds at Walmart. Shoots reliably out of my glock.

Mike38

Ammonow.com has the lowest average price of handgun ammo, 9mm Largo PPR: $0.20

Just for grins, the highest average price is 470 Nitro Express PPR: $11.61

spacecoast

The ammo you reload yourself. Savings is anywhere from 50-75% compared to buying it off the shelf.

9X 19 is so cheap most people won't even bother reloading it.

I think it's more a case of almost every shooter having a 9mm pistol, the vast majority of those being people who don't reload and don't bother to learn. Savings of 50% are achieved pretty easily even with 9mm. Also, reloaders tend to branch out a bit into other calibers.

Last edited:

zombieslayer

I guess I should buy another can or two of 7.62x25. 9x18 is also pretty cheap. But for wallyworld ammo- nothing is cheaper than 9x19.

BigJimP

9mm will be the cheapest you can find retail ...

and 9mm is the cheapest you can reload ..even with premium components ..115gr FMJ bullets in 9mm ...are costing my about $ 0.09 each or around
$ 4.50 for a box of 50 ...if you like to reload ( and I do ). I'm almost out of 9mm range ammo ....so I'm going to load up about 4,000 rds this weekend in 4 or 5 hours ...no big deal...

spacecoast

9mm is the cheapest you can reload

I shoot plated in 9mm, and lead in .380 ACP, so I can do better with .380. Funny because .380s are significantly more expensive in the store, twice as much or more as 9mm in some cases.