Cheapest 223 rifle

ramp_tech

I am just curious, what are the affordable rifles that loads 223? It seems like all the 223 rifle I have seen are ARs that's at least $850...:barf:

COYOTE JLR

You could always go with an NEF single shot in .223 or any similar gun for under $200 used.

There's also the SU-16 series made by Kel-tec that you can get for around $500 and they're pretty great guns in my experience.

There are also plenty of bolt action guns chambered in .223. I think the Stevens 200 retails for under $300 and I bet if you looked around enough you could find one for closer to $250

tmd11111

You could always go with an NEF single shot in .223 or any similar gun for under $200 used.

+1

This is going to be about as cheap as it gets. Some of them have been known to be sub MOA with very little work.

Skan21

I just read about a stripped down DPMS .223 carbine. I can't recall what it was called, but I seem to remember that it was priced around $600.

GringoGrande

I thought the Remmy 760/7600/7615P Border Patrol (Range) Pumps in 5.56 use M16 mags and the .308 uses M14 mags or the Remmy 4 shot mags, I am prob wrong on this, but I think that is what the Hoplite ads in Shotgun News aay, Hoplite is in Shepardsville KY. The price as I remember was like $499.00.

The Model 7615P comes in .223 Remington caliber, uses standard M16/AR15 style magazines and has a 16 1/2" barrel. Also, transition from the Model 870 Pump shotgun into this patrol rifle is easily accomplished.

m7615.jpg

m7615d.jpg

Gringo:D

a7mmnut

I was also going to mention the Stevens and Marlin for $275-350. I like my Handi Rifle in .22-250, .30-30, 20, 28, and .410 gauge.

-7-

citizenkane

+1 for Stevens 200

I did a lot of research picking out my .223 and it came down to 2 choices, Saiga or Stevens. I picked the Stevens because I would like to use it as a dedicated hunting rifle and not just to hit the range. Downside is you may have to get your own mount, rings and scope. The saiga would have been a lot of fun, but a little more tricky to keep CA legal. Has the iron sights so you could go right out and shoot. Both run about the same price in the $350-$399 range. Good luck.

Patch44

A fellow at work bought a Saiga (sp??), tricked it out, and it looks way cool.

I am thinking he paid $450 on ar15.com. He likes it, and I have read good things about it. Expensive mags apparantly, but you will learn all that with some Google sessions.

I have a Handi Rifle too, bull bbl, 120 lb trigger pull, but is pretty accurate anyway.

I never thought single shot (forgot I had one) ... somehow .223 and semi auto go together, but don't have to. Lots of varmint rifles out there in .223 ...

John

Last edited:

T.A.Sharps

The "Cheapest" would probably be a Rossi single shot.

H_S1727150adult.JPG

Might want to compare the price to a H&R.

I would opt for an H&R Ultra though, would give you an accurate bull barrel and a scope rail.

SCREAMIII2006

I'd buy that in a heartbeat. I would love it if someone would produce a .223boltie with detachable 20rd mags.

What would be convient is dedicated bolt action upper.
Now that I would buy in a heart beat.
But why would anyone make that?
I know they make them in the UK and Australia.
Might even be CA legal?
Most of those made in the US are projects and at best are a solution to a non problem.

Just the same I would buy one if it was reasonably priced,which I suspect is why nobody has offered one yet.

Really though, with such popularity of the AR platform you would think a gunmaker out there would have designed a rifle to take AR mags.

jgcoastie

Really though, with such popularity of the AR platform you would think a gunmaker out there would have designed a rifle to take AR mags.

Aside from the Remington 7615 family of pump-actions, I don't know of any... You would think that they would be more popular, I love mine, but I guess that people just want the AR's...

I also wonder why FN didn't use standard AR-10 mags on the FNAR... Instead they used their own custom ones... Last time I checked they were going for $120+ each on gunbroker...

Wouldn't it be great to have standard magazines on every gun for each family of cartridges???

Swampghost

Mini-14 found disassembled at a garage sale, $35.

Yep I'm still bragging about that one.

My tricks to a good deal are 1, never buy new. 2, know what a good bore looks like. 3, let everybody and their brother know what you are looking for and you're paying cash. 4, don't be in a rush. 5, hit estate and garage sales that feature sporting goods. 6, don't pass up good deals on anything that could be tradable/saleable even if you don't want it, it will be valuable later. 7, Network, network, network!, When I'm looking for something EVERYBODY knows it. 8, ALWAYS remember that this is a WANT and NOT a NEED. Keep this attitude when buying anything. I sold cars once and a needy buyer is known as a 'laydown'.

Follow my advice and you'll get your deal, most likely a good one. I've been doing this for over 40 yrs.