Cheaper than Dirt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rothdel

Anyone ever purchase a firearm from Cheaper than Dirt?

I have ordered non FFL items from them before and as long as I manage the shipping cost issue have been pretty happy.

For some reason I'm hesitating pulling the trigger on a firearm purchase however. I have never purchased a firearm from a website and I'm cautious for some reason. My LGS is good for the transfer so no concern there. Just would like some positive/negative reviews from this group before I make up my mind.

FITASC

I have never found CTD to be the best price deal on anything - and their shipping can get down-right stupid.

There are a LOT of reputable internet dealers; have you checked the usual like Davidson's, Buds, etc to compare?

Sevens

Cheaper Than Dirt was one of the companies who upset many long time gun folks by jacking prices overnight after the Sandy Hook massacre and there are plenty of screen shots still littered all over the web that shows it plainly.

In my opinion, there are FAR too many great businesses to deal with then to ever support CTD. I won't buy from them.

5whiskey

Sevens hit the nail on the head. I have used CTD in the past, but I watched the price of 30rd Pmags go from $15 and some change in the morning to over $60.00 that afternoon the Monday after the Sandy Hook shooting. I don't even think I've been to their website out of fear that Google Ads *MIGHT* give them a half penny for my internet traffic since then. Scoundrels IMO.

You will likely find a better price on whatever you're trying to purchase at JGSales, Sportsmans Guide, or a number of other good companies. I have ordered a rifle from JGSales and all went smooth.

dajowi

During the .22 shortage the highly inflated prices CTD was charging encouraged me to look elsewhere...where I found some at a price I was willing to pay. From that point on I'll never shop at CTD again.

gbclarkson

I haven't ordered a firearm from CTD, either, but I have ordered ammo, accessories, and camping supplies; still do if the quirky shipping rates are favorable. I have noticed, though, that many of CTD's firearm reviews include compliments of CTD's service. Hmmmm.....

KEYBEAR

If I buy new on line I use Buds Guns often . The prices are mostly good free shipping and easy finding an FFL on his site . Last year I bought two Ruger Revolvers(at the same time) from Buds saved some cash and it cost 20 bucks total for the FFL.

redrick

I will never buy from them again after the way they jack there prices up when something happens . Part of there name is right Dirt .

Eazyeach

Buds, jjgunsupply, palmetto, and Whitaker's are all great. Prices and service. I've never used ctd so I won't comment on them. But I'm not fond of the price gouging.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigtimber

Never dealt with them. Always fond better deals elsewhere....I've put a few items in cart once....shipping seemed inflated......never messed with them beyond that.

Don P

Anyone ever purchase a firearm from Cheaper than Dirt?
I haven;t and after their choices after Sandy Hook I'll never buy ANYTHING from them. That's just me and my feelings toward them

I don't understand all the hate for surge pricing. If a vendor doesn't raise his prices to market rate (or above), it will get bought and you won't be able to find it easily at any price. So I don't mind CTD jacking their prices up during Sandy Hook.

Having said that, I think I can count on one hand in the last 15 years the times they were even competitive with market prices. I rarely buy from them because they are usually overpriced and/or don't stock the products I am interested in.

But I will say this for them, when every gun store in the state was stripped bare of AR15s, you could still walk into CTD's McKinney selection and see a full selection of AR15s. And I once got a very good deal on a weaponlight from them.

buck460XVR

Don't know what CTD policy is on firearms, but Davidson's has this warranty, and depending on the dealer, many times beats CTD's prices. While this warranty is not needed with certain firearms, with others, it may be.

If anything ever goes wrong with any gun you buy with the Davidson's GuaranteeD® Lifetime Replacement Warranty, it will be replaced. If no replacement is available, it will be repaired at no charge to you. Simple, just return it to the GuaranteeD® retailer where you purchased it, pay for the return shipping and upon receipt Davidson's will ship the returning retailer a *BRAND NEW GUN.

shootbrownelk

Cheaper than Dirt was a price gouger after the Sandy Hook massacre. They were charging $120.00 for a brick of $25.00 .22 LR's. That isn't just "inflating" the price....that's a Rip-Off, plain & simple. They are lower than a snakes belly. I'd never buy anything from them...EVER. I hope they go out of business.

5whiskey

I don't understand all the hate for surge pricing. If a vendor doesn't raise his prices to market rate (or above), it will get bought and you won't be able to find it easily at any price. So I don't mind CTD jacking their prices up during Sandy Hook.

CTD was quite a large and popular vendor at the time, and I believe they directly contributed to inflating the market rate a good bit. I understand raising prices in times of extreme demand, and I have no issue with it so long as it is within reason. It is capitalism 101. That being said, a 400% increase is not within reason, IMO. Virtually every state in the Union has price gouging laws. Virtually no state would think of prosecuting a gun dealer for it... but that's fine. Many of us just choose not to use CTD anymore because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.