Cheap Success

roy reali

This thread if for any shooter that has had good luck with "cheap" guns. Your High Points, your Tauruses, your HandiRifles, your Stoegers, etc, etc.

If you cheap gun blew up on your first trigger pull this thread is not for you. If your cheap gun missed a moose at ten passes, this thread is not for you. If your cheap shotgun couldn't hit a flock of decoys, again not for you.

I want to hear success stories about cheap guns. Small groups at one hundred yards, multiple hits on a quail covey, venison brought home, and so on. I want to hear about how long you have had the gun and how many round shave been put through it without a malfunction.

Crankylove

My cheapest (in terms of cost), I gave to my brother. An FEG Hi-Power copy I picked up for under $300, in almost spotless condition with 2 extra mags. It will run side by side with my '72 C series Hi-Power, and my brothers P95 in terms of accuracy and reliability. In fact, in the year since I bought and gave it to my brother (and the couple thousand rounds through it), I can't think of a single problem with that pistol. It shoots every load we have thrown in it (including my Trailboss loads), feels good in the hand, the fixed sights are accurate out to 50 yards or more, will swap parts with a Hi-Power if its ever needed, and it doesn't have any issues with feeding/extracting. I paid $600 for my Hi-Power (which was well worth the money), but we get the same results, and the same fun, from a pistol that was half of the cost.

Arondos

Hi point C9. Had it a couple of years.

It isn't a tack driver, it does what it is supposed to. It is accurate enough for plinking. Got three of us at work that have them so once in a while we have our C9 shoot outs to see who can shoot theirs the best.

Been 850 rounds since it had a failure. Has almost 2k rounds through it and I have never done more then punch the barrel and clean what I can get to. It has never been stripped.

I bought it mainly because it was dirt cheap and I had read all the love/hate about them.

Eagle0711

Have and still have a Taurus 85 and a Charter Arms Undercover. Owned them for years, and no problems. Carry them and shoot them.

Dwight55

It is said that "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", . . . so it must follow that "Cheap is in the billfold of the buyer".

That said, . . . I own a "cheap" 1911, . . . a Rock Island, . . . NIB, OTD, $400.

It shoots a respectable 3 inch pattern at 25 yards, . . . has never failed to go boom when it was supposed to.

May God bless,
Dwight

noelf2

Taurus PT 24/7 Pro C, works great, never a problem. Over 1K rounds and counting.

H&R Model 732, 32 S&WL, nice tight little 6 shot revolver. I can hit where I aim at 7 yds with it. Carry it sometimes in a pocket holster.

H&R Model 949 (49er), 9 shot 22lr revolver, tack driver! My daughter's favorite. She can hit a bunny in the head at 25 yds with it.

H&R Topper Jr. 20ga single, my first gun, got many squirrels and rabbits with it since I was 11, we will always be together.

All of the H&Rs were under $100 each. All of my expensive guns are just that, "more expensive".

Last edited:

Six_Rounds

Ive had lots of success with my $30 RG40

picture54.jpg

Its a 6 shot .38spl revolver, probably made between 1978 and 1985. When I got it, it was missing the cylinder release, so I made a replacement, first out of the casehead of a .38spl, then the current one out of a small piece of aluminum stock (dremel-machined it by hand!)

Its digested over 100 rounds of .38spl +P with no ill effects, along with several hundred rounds of standard pressure .38spl.

elmata

The underdog of S&W, my 9mm Sigma, awesome investment especially with the deal they ran for rebate or magazines. My current favorite pistol is my High Standard 1911 3.5in.. I just put some hogue wraparound grips on it saturday. Cheap guns are more fun because I may not baby them as much and they get used more often. The 1911 is a shooter talking 3 rounds one big hole @ 7 yards a.k.a. luck :D

An FM, Argentine made Hi-Power copy made in the 80's or so. Ugly black epoxy finish but it easily have 3000 rounds through it on my watch and not one single problem. It ran 800 rounds without a cleaning just to see if it would do it. Filthy, but bang every time. Got it for about $300 a few months back and I'll never sell it.

MLeake

Not mine, but a buddy's...

... my best friend bought a used HiPoint 9mm carbine. For the most part, it has proven to be an unexpected gem.

It did have one hiccup. While we were sighting it in, we kept getting closer and closer to zero. Then, suddenly, the next round went well right. I was confused for a moment, then we noticed that the bolt-on, tacticool "flash suppressor" was missing. Found it in the grass, a few yards in front of us, with a partial-ogive shaped dent in it.

Other than that, the carbine was fine, so we went back to sighting it in.

Figured for a 9mm carbine, with open sights, we'd sight in at 50 yds. Three shot groups at 50 yds were under 2". Carbine never jammed, through a few boxes of plinking ammo. Only issue was the suppressor getting blown off the barrel.

frumious

I went into my LGS on my birthday to maybe buy a Streamlight TLR-2. Then I saw a brand-new 1911 for $399. Yeah $399 is quite a bit more than the $250 the TLR-2 was gonna cost me but I used some sort of on-the spot-logic and came away with the pistol instead of the trinket. Best cheap gun I ever bought. It is an American Classic II by MetroArms. Reviewed here on Gunblast.

I have tarted it up a bit in recent history...it is my tacticool tack driver :cool:

tacticool.jpg

Drachenstein

CZ82 w/ holster and spare mag $180, 9mm Mak, Carries 12 roumds, very accurate. Fires FMJ and HP equally well, doesn't jam. A true C&R gem.;)

Cowboy_mo

I think all my guns would be considered 'cheap' guns by most collectors but they all go bang when they are supposed to and they all hit where I'm aiming if I do my part.

I love my Taurus 24/7 in .40 S&W and it shoots almost as well as my 1 expensive gun. Now in my personal defense, the expensive gun was an anniversary gift from a great wife!! She was with me at a gun show as I ogled a Kimber Compact II. I wasn't even going to hold it but she insisted and when I said 'nice' told the guy to write it up:D:D

But, cheap guns taught me to shoot and deals on cheap guns keep me adding to the collection.

docpadds

I have a Chiappa 1911-22 and have put a couple of thousand rounds through it shooting steel in the yard. I practice with the full 9mm/45s etc to maintain feel but for practice of sight alignment, natural point of aim etc.... my 22 comes out and i shoot the snot out of it. It was a $250 gun.