Cheap sabot slugs?

Maser

Lately I have been toying with the idea of dusting off my 24" fully rifled 12 gauge barrel and get back into long range shotgun shooting. Only problem that I had before was the cost of the ammo. Unlike rifled slugs, I can't find any good bulk deals on sabot slugs and those are what I need. I am not looking for any fancy expensive bullet type. Just a traditional sabot slug that will group nicely at 100+ yards. I've heard stories about people getting 2" or smaller groups at 200 yards with them types of slugs. Not really impressive for rifle shooters, but to a shotgunner like me, it's very intriguing.

So where can I find good sabot slug deals? I would like to get a bulk deal, but have had no luck. Any advice would be appreciated. Keep in mind I need to keep the costs down because of my baby boy I support.

mcubed4130

good luck... :D and if you find some, let me know...

I use my 24" rifled - scoped Mossberg 500 12g - all the time. But I use rifled slugs, instead of sabots... for the same reason.

Plinking at ~$1.75 to $2 a shot... is more than my available funds will allow.

-M3

Mike U.

I think Brenneke has the most inexpensive sabot slugs. I've never used them myself(yet), but, judging from what I've read, they are also among the best, if not, the best. :cool:

If I'm not mistaken, they run under ten dollars for a five pack. This is not bad considering the major makers I've priced almost all start at ~$11.00 and most hover around the $15.00 mark. :eek:

I really wish they'd bring those prices down to a reasonable level. I don't get to work my rifled barrel nearly as much as I'd like to.

Maser

Are there such things as kits for reloaders? Like just the sabot halves. I am thinking that the average bullet in a sabot slug is just a normal heavy .45 or .50 caliber handgun bullet. I am friends with an older gentleman in my town who reloads shotshells and other ammo. I am thinking maybe he can reload sabot slug shells for me, but where would I find the sabot halves?

tulsamal

I am thinking that the average bullet in a sabot slug is just a normal heavy .45 or .50 caliber handgun bullet.

That's true of the sabot rounds used with black powder rifles. I use a .45 caliber BP rifle with sabots and .40 caliber pistol bullets. But the bullets I've seen inside of 12 gauge sabots were NOT pistol bullets. They were hourglass shaped and lead. Not jacketed.

It wouldn't surprise me if you could buy the components but I don't think pistol bullets are going to work. The bore diameter of a 12 gauge is much larger than your typical BP rifle.

Gregg