Cheap or fancy, what's a better value?

OK, two rifles I'm looking at in .308 Win.

Rem 700 SPS Tacical around $600

or

Rem 700P LTR around $1000

So, is the extra money worth it. As far as I know I just get a more fancy stock and fluted barrel with the LTR.

Right now I don't anticpate shooting more than 200 yards but maybe that will change someday.

What say you guys?

PawPaw

We live in a golden age of rifle manufacturing. The companies are putting out mass produced rifles that are more accurate than was possible from even some custom shops forty years ago. Wonderfully accurate rifles that the common consumer can buy over the counter.

Get the rifle you want. I'm sure that it will shoot just fine, and whether or not it is worth the extra dollars is truly up to you.

AllenJ

Better stock on the LTR but I don't know if it's $400 better. I'm not a fan of fluting so that would sway me to get the SPS.

jmr40

I don't care for the stock on either. I'd buy the cheaper gun and put the extra money toward a better stock. I'm betting both shoot well.

bigautomatic

Both are a 700. If the stock is the only real difference, get the sps and $400 will get you a very nice stock. Fluted barrel will save some weight, but not much.