"Cheap" Levergun?

Eightball

I'm just curious--are there any leverguns which shoot "cheap" (i.e. not $15 a box) ammo, and are they any good? I'm thinking about looking for a lever, but compared to the stuff I'm used to shooting (surplus, Wolf), 30-30 seems kinda expensive. So, is there a different ammo that's a better value (.357, other calibres), or am I just generally stuck? And, if there's a better "value" ammo, what would be a good value levergun to go with it?

And I know about the Marlin 39A (and others) in .22--good guns, but not exactly what I'm thinking of in a purchase idea.

Thanks in advance for any/all replies.

almark

I believe Marlin and Winchester both make guns in .44 mag, .357 mag and .45 LC... if you got the .357 mag gun you could fire .38 spl in it for a bit cheaper.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/1894_centerfireRifles/1894C.htm
http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/catalog/detail.asp?cat_id=534&type_id=093&cat=003C

If you'd be interested in a pump, you could go with Taurus as well... http://taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=C357BR&category=Rifle

I'm more a fan of the lever than the pump myself... just something about 'em... makes me smile. :D

Eightball

are you looking for a plinker? Your criteria for choosing a rifle/cartridge combo seem unusual.
More or less. I know it sounds unusual, but hey--if you met me, you'd say I'm an unususal guy:p . I don't intend it to be a "long range" weapon (300yds or less is fine). If it can be used for hunting a specific kind of game, so be it. HOWEVER--I am not looking to purchase a .22--I already have 2, and think that a "standalone" levergun would be a nice addition to my little collection. Sorry for not clarifying that sooner.

270Win

Henry makes a .44 magnum and .45 colt lever-action, their "Big Boy" model. Might be worth checking out... I have their .22 model (H001), and it's amazing, smooth-as-butter action, accurate as hell, good looking, etc.

Eightball

How expensive (on average) are the different calibres? I am only partially knowledgeable on what calibres exist for leverguns, and have no ideas on the price of various cartridges. So far, .44Mag, .357Mag, .45LC, and .38SPL have all been mentioned--what's the cost of a box of each respective ammo (assuming this box is not match-loading ammo, of course).

Bob G.

I think the only way to really reduce the cost of shooting is learn how to reload. I did so about 10-12 years ago and found that I really enjoy it. In fact, I enjoy it so much I took the next step and learned how to cast bullets. Now once you get to that point you can shoot very inexpensively and you have a whole lot of satisfaction with using ammo you made.
Loading your own, a 357 levergun would be fun and affordable.
Bob

surg_res

At the last show, I saw the following approximate prices for quality reloads from a local gun dealer/ammo reloader per 50...

.38 $9 SWC
.357 $11 JHP
.44 $15 lead
.44 $17 JHP
.45LC $17 lead

Of course highly variable in price; i've noticed the 357 running about $5 cheaper than the 44 or 45 of the same make, and the 38s about $2-3 less than that.

357 is a really fun round to shoot. No kick and underrated power. Of course, I'll be the first to admit that I am unquestionably biased towards 38/357.

zejs1

You can buy 30-30 for somewhat less than $15 a box. I think Wal-Mart carries it for about $10/box.

I don't believe 30-30 will ever be Wolf cheap, even if you handload, but you can do a lot better than $15/box.

Peter M. Eick

If you cannot get 30/30 for less then $10/box of 20, then wait for the next sale. I saw it for $9.85 a box last week in the hunting section of one of the local sporting good stores. Choice of 150 or 170 grns.

Chris W

Loading your own, a 357 levergun would be fun and affordable.

And, if you reload, you can safely (as in, within published loads) produce carbine loads for the 357 that make a genuine 90% of the 30-30: 158 grain JHP or JSP at 2,000 fps; and light as a kitten cowboy loads; and everything in-between. Easy, and cheap, and a hoot to shoot.

Eightball

Easy, and cheap, and a hoot to shoot.
Well, it looks like the calibre's been pointed out. Thanks. Now, what rifle should I look for with which to shoot? (and, I assume that .357 levers will use 38SPL, just like revolvers).

gak

A used Rossi 92 (some years inexplicably called 65, usually .44 Mags) in .357 from their Interarms import era (80s through 2000/2001 or so). These have A. or Amadeus Rossi stamped on the barrel near the rear sight and caliber stamping. Then more recently Rossi-made '92 imports from EMF, Navy Arms and last (and least to me because of it's odd little lever safety) Legacy Sports International (LSI)--called "Pumas" (that moniker harkening back to some earlier Rossis so named. Some of these still have "Rossi" un the underside of the receiver, etc. Should be able to find a good clean used one of the former (Interarms era) in the $175-225 range, and the latter grouping $225-275. New ones go for as low as $360 or so (EMF) so you can still get into that fairly economically. Other calibers available (.44Mag, .44-40, etc.) but the .357 is the cheapest shooting.

These Rossis (and the original Winchester 92s (1892) from which their design sprang) are lighter, trimmer and handier to shoot IMO than the Marlin (or even Win 94) variants--especially for "plinking" duty, and have a very strong action designed for pistol calibers from the start. Like the pre AE win 94s, The Rossi however will not mount (decently) a scope--like AE Win 94s and Marlins can--but to me that misses much of the point/fun of a pistol caliber lever anyway. I won't argue the excellence of the Marlins (or Win 94s either), but going back to what appears to be a primary criteria (I assume ammo and gun), Eightball did say "cheap." These little carbines are also fast handling and fine in the reliability dept (having owned several), and reasonably accurate within their expected range.