cheap gun shops in virginia?

LTrain

I'm looking to spend around $500 for a semi auto pistol. It will definitely be a .45, and I really like the glock 20 I fired at Gilbert's. Either way, their prices seem to be a bit high, and I was wondering if there are any cheaper in the area. I also like the springfield's, and H&K(who wouldn't), but they are a bit out of my price range. Thanks for your help!

Larry

Daedalus

I shop at Shooters Paradise in Woodbridge, VA. Very friendly service and a decient selection. They are located right off of route 1 just over the Occoquan River.

You want to hit a gunshow where Dark Sun Surplus is set up.

They have the lowest prices I've ever seen on a lot of handguns, handily beating out all of the brick & mortar shops in Virginia.

Don't even bother with Blue Ridge Arsenal in Chantilly. They charge MSPR + for their guns.

orlando5

You want to hit a gunshow where Dark Sun Surplus is set up.

I agree. They have the lowest price I seen. Most of their firearms sell 30%-50% below MSRP. Most of the guns I buy is from them.

LTrain

Do any gun shows come up to northern virginia? I know I've seen some advertised in richmond, etc. Also ,thanks for all the replies! I was going to go check out blue ridge, but I guess I won't now.

Larry

Virginia Arms Co. im Manassas

Virginia Arms in Manassas off of Rt. 28 outside of old town Manassas. Bernie (the owner) is nothing but top-notch, his prices are very competitive and he sometimes is able to work with them. I have bought all of my guns from him and I will continue to do so. The address there is 9670 Center St and the phone # is 703-368-3949. Give him a ring!

22x9

"Loudoun Guns" in Leesburg also charges MSRP+ prices. A decent sized inventory and selection. Their transfer fees seem a bit out of whack:
- $50 for new firearms
- $20 for used firearms

"Purcell Store - Guns" in Purcellville is MSRP for the most part, but you can talk him down at times. Very small inventory. His transfer fee is $30(new and used).

I'd stick with the Old Dominion Gun Show. Always a couple of dealers there and you can get a few good bargains.

Disclaimer: The fees that I mentioned are what they charged me when I transferred firearms through them. They may be different now, but I doubt it since I used them both this year.

fed168

If you don't mind a bit of a drive from NOVA, check out Greentop down in Atlee (exit 86 on I 95). Not sure how their prices are now, but when I shopped their the prices were cheaper than anywhere in NOVA. Plus they have a pretty good selection of used guns.
When I lived in Fairfax, it was worth the drive down there. They used the instant check program.

-Yo-

Virg. Arms and Gilberts

Concur re Virginia Arms in Manasas. Bernie is extremely competent, bright guy who runs a tight ship. Three FFL transactions have been handled promptly and accurately.

Gilbert Arms/Range (So. of Alexandria near Turnpike) has a nice range, plenty of clean consignment guns (as well as new), and FFL transfers are just $15.

Yo

RWK

Larry, FFL Transfers . . .

occur when you buy a firearm out-of-state and need to obtain it “officially” through an FFL in your home state. For example, I have bought several excellent, new handguns through www.gunbroker.com, all from non-Virginia dealers. In these instances, the dealer ships the handgun -- after it is paid for in full -- to my local, designated FFL (Gilberts in Newton, Virginia). Gilberts charges a $15 fee to receive the sidearm and to process all the required Fairfax County, Virginia, and US/BATF paperwork. In essence, although I actually bought the handgun from an out-of-state source, the legally required custody chain is maintained by my local range, which formally transfers (as opposed to sells) the handgun to me.

Hope this answers your question.

LTrain

That's what I figured it was, thanks for clarification. Gilbert's doesn't hassle you about it? I would think they'd make you feel guilty for not buying the gun through them...haha

Larry

Mal H

Staff
Most shops have no problem performing that service if it is for a model of gun they don't normally stock or it is a used gun of any model.

sousana

Their is a gun show scheduled for November 24/25 at the Hampton Coliseum in Hampton Virginia, Dark Sun Surplus will be there. And just for information, the Glock 20 is the 10mm while the Glock 21 is the .45acp.

Dark Sun Surplus
1-804-272-3026

Rod Hodge
David Jarrett

-Yo-

Re getting hassled for an FFL transfer, the only time I've run into issues is if you're trying to buy a new firearm from a major districution such as Zander's or Davidsons. Those two won't take your money directly, and if you ask the local dealer to buy it for you at wholesale plus $25 they'll tell you where to put it.

But if you can pay seller directly, just tell your local FFL that you have a gun you have to bring in to state. As far as they're concerned it could be a gift from your brother.

In Calif it is different. Dealers make ugly faces and give you all sorts of grief to do a FFL transfer and they want 10-15%. They also want to collect sales tax. That's BS. I refuse to give my $ to a dealer who wants sales tax on a out of state transaction.

Yo

nashgill

I have only spoken to the guys at Virginia Arms and they seem quite nice and willing to help. Better prices than Blue Ridge or Loudon Guns. I chose them for my latest transfer ($20 compared to Loudon which is $50) and am still in the middle of it or I would give you my opinion.

For Glocks, the best prices I have found in a retail store is at Galyan's in Fairfax. $499 for a G26 for comparisons.

HTH.
Nash...