cheap elk hunt or whitetail hunt?

dw

Just wondering where i could get a good elk or whitetail hunt at a reasonable price. I would like to hunt out west. just wondering what kind of prices i would be looking at.

Fourdiamonds

If you want a guided hunt then be prepared to pay some good money. Many states are super for Elk. Colorado has the largest amount.
Possible suggestion: Do your own thing in Colorado. With a little pre-planning you can get away fairly cheap. The state will send you all sorts of info and topo maps for a very nominal charge. You can ask for all sorts of harvest results and go by that.
If you go, be in very good physical shape. Those mountains will kill you if you're not prepared. Colarado has a web sight,as well as Mont.,Utah,Wyoming etc.
Good luck--Been doing it in Colorado many years.
fourdiamonds

------------------
From my cold dead hands.

Steve Smith

I hunt elk here in Colorado every year. I work out (especially on a stairclimber and on local mountains) for several months before elk season. Every year, we have a couple of guys from Indiana that come out for a week. They sure do get winded, and they're in good shape! Remember, just because you're in Colorado and have the perfect rifle, does not guarantee that you'll even see elk. They sure are sneaky! If you should decide to come out, make SURE you're in great shape, because if you don't, you'll really hate life on the mountain.

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
http://www.dnr.state.co.us/wildlife
for the CO Div of Wildlife. Hunting brochures, season dates, etc. & try to pick up a last seasons stat book for the various areas. CO was the only state to allow over-the-counter non-resident bull elk tags ... that may have changed - I haven't looked into it for next seasons - they have changed some dates, etc. Too, check for application deadline dates.

Just for grins, I looked into a drop camp - all your stuff & they pack you into a wilderness area - 7 days = ~$1800 each. If you're experienced camper-types, do it yourself & save the bucks. Be prepared for weather - anywhere from 2' snow/-20F to warm & sunny.

E-mail me for more than you'd ever want to know.

Ankeny

Some of the smaller mountain ranges in limited quota areas in my home state (Wyoming) are giving up some darn nice bulls. If you are not in real great shape, and can draw the tag, you have a good chance at a 350 class bull in the Green Mountain, Copper Mountain, Laramie Peak, areas. The success rate is very high, but getting the tag takes some luck.

Jeff OTMG

If you want whitetail cheap check out Alabama. I think they have more deer than people and the limit is one deer a day with a 90 day season. I do not know what the license fees are nor how big the deer get since I am not a hunter. I have a friend that tells me that farmers beg people to shoot the deer on their land in Missouri. One farmer even went so far as to tell him that after he shoots a deer, if he sees a bigger one that he wants, to go ahead and shoot it, that the farmer will help him bury the little one.