Cheap 8mms

Shin-Tao

I'm looking for another rifle in 8mm Mauser, I hope you gentlemen can help. I want another cheap rifle chambered for 8mm Mauser, but I don't want another Turk bolt gun. What are my options? Are there any autoloders out there?

Thank you in advance

Cosmoline

Ah, the 8x57 JS. Those Mausers seem to follow me home. Here is a brief run-down of the 8x47 rifles I'm most familiar with:

BOLT

Persian (89/29, VZ-24, etc.). $250-$600+
These have a reputation as being the best quality, primarily because they tend to be in such good (often unissued) condition. However, a good Czech beats a bad Persian, and costs much less. These tend NOT to be parts guns, which adds to their value for collectors. They probably aren't the best choice for a shooter because of their value.

Czech (VZ-24, other rare types). $100-$200
These are the best for the buck from what I've seen. Most are parts guns, but many are in great quality with pristine bores. They are accurate, but probably not MOA accurate. The biggest problem is the terrible sights, which START at 200 yards and are very hard to see. A mojo sight or Darrell mount and a scout scope are good options.

German (98k short rifles, some Gew 98's, the rest are too rare to shoot)--Too Much!
These were plentiful after WWII, but I hardly see them now either in local shops or on gun auction sights. Non-sporterized, with the kraut markings still on, they are worth quite a bit. For a shooter, you can get much better quality from less famous Mausers.

Yugoslavian (M-24, M-48) $150-$250.
The M-24 is very similar to the FN-24, but made by Yugoslavians. The M-48 was built after WWII to arm the masses, but largely unused until the recent civil wars. Lots of these are on the market now, just as in prior decades there were lots of Siamese Mausers or German Mausers. In a few decades people will be left wondering where they all went. They are good shooters in general, and some have amazing, bright stocks once you get the cosmo out.

SEMI-AUTO:

FN-49 ($350-$600)
You can still find these babies around. Many went to Eygpt They're more portable than the Hakims, and I've even seen spare 8mm barrels for sale on line for $75 or so. I've never shot one, but I suspect the funkier surplus ammo might give them some problems. Other than slam-fires (which can be fixed) they have a good rep.

Hakim ($300-$500)
These were Eyptian-made versions of the Swedish Ljungman. They are really big rifles, and will take your fingers off if you aren't careful. The quality on these was mixed from what I've heard, but they'd get lots of attention at the range!

Jimmy Mac

Cosmoline

A friend bought a very nice K98 with the Nazi markings recently for $50.

It has an almost mint bore and the wood and metal is about NRA good to very good condition.

What is it worth? Ballpark?

k77/22rp

Alot of sporting good stores carry surplus rifles, such as Dunhams, Big-5, Sports Authority.

Also Gun shows usually have the best selection, and you get to check them out before you buy.

If you want the best prices get a Curio&Relics license.

stinger

Jimmy Mac,

I'm not an appraiser...but your friend saved hundreds if not more money if it is in mint condition with all NAZI markings.

Stinger

Shin-Tao

Well. Whent ahead and got another Turk. It was in such good shape, and so inexpensive, I couldn't leave the shop without it.

Already refinnished it.:)

A local guy here has an MG42. That makes a nice 8mm that isn't a bolt action. But, I guess it doesn't meet the criteria of being cheap. It probably costs as much as a new economy car.
It sounds like a Yugo M48 is right up your alley.
I have a K98 (without the Nazi markings), a Turk, and an M48. I thought long and hard about buying an Hakim, but the guy wanted $350 for it, and I can't see myself needing one that bad.

Shin-Tao

Has anybody here mounted a scope on a C&R Mauser?

This is something I am interested in doing and would like some information on doing it correctly.

stinger

Never done it myself, but lots here have. You have several different options. Drill and tap, of course, but also some that don't require any permanent mods. Some work some don't. You might try a search to check on which types people have had the most success/failures with.

Later,

Stinger

Jimmy Mac

I bought a Turk Mauser from a friend that needed money for $30

He bought it last year and never fired it.

I cleaned the cosmoline out of it and the bore looked almost new. Is was mirror bright and the rifleing was strong and sharp.

The trigger was very good. As good or better than a NM Garand or M1a.

This old junk has become one of my favorite plinkers. It shoots better than I can with Turk ammo.

Shin-Tao

Now I'm thinking I might still want to maintain my long-held "no glass" policy. Of cource the iron sights on Turk Mausers are terrible, so I would need them replaced by something. Where could I get new sights put on an old Mauser?

Andrew Wyatt

if you're anywhere near bakersfield, there's an FN-49 on sale at globe loan for four something.

that's a bit much for me, but hey.

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
FN49 is nice to shoot but very heavy and a pain to maintain with corrosive ammo. Yugo M48 I have is cheap ($140 with all fees and taxes), has a better action than war-time German K98s. Aperture sight would fix the V-notch problem.

C.R.Sam

Chilean Mauser.
Bud just picked up a Chilean in 7.62 Nato.
Wed we proofed and sighted it. It is a winner and way under a hundred bucks. Eats cheap and good ammo.

Sam

Shin-Tao

Thanks fellas. I'm already committed to the Turk Mauser, I'm afraid. I really like the 29" barrel length letting the powder burn really good before the slug leaves the muzzle. I'm looking for a company or competent artisan who can put some better sights on the Mausers I already have.

I love the 8mm cartridge.