Charter's transfer bar

lee n. field

Charter's transfer bar seems somewhat fragile. I just broke mine, in my Undercover, the second time this year. (Gun was bought June of last year.)

The flag thing on top broke right off. Looks like crystallized metal.

This gets dry fired a lot. I don't see anything in the manual about not doing that.

Attachments

• broke transfer bar.JPG
    broke transfer bar.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 34

Wheelie_Fan

Hey there Lee. N,

Sorry to hear of your problem. I have an off duty and a pathfinder, so not identical guns, but I'm guessing the same system. Never had an issue with the transfer bar though and I've fired both quite a bit as well as dry fired the off-duty. I don't think there should be any issues with that. (I use snap caps, how about you?)

The off duty has been flawless. I did, however, have a problem with the pathfinder keyholing... Dropped it off for repair (I'm very near their shop) and it was ready for pickup in 3 days... Great customer service, responsive to questions... No complaints here at all. I also was given a tour by Mr. Ecker, the owner, it was quite interesting... a he's a very nice guy also. i met several of the staff (both office and production crew and they were VERY competent people and knew their jobs and their guns. A very clean and organized shop (I'm also in manufacturing. I notice and have appreciation for that sort of thing)

By the way, I saw their cabinet holding the guns in-house, for repair.... WAY fewer than one might expect, especially considering the number of Charters out there, and some of the very negative posts you read online .... There were maybe 5 or 6 in for repair..... tops (including mine).

Bottom line, I'd give them a call, or drop an email (my email received a response within a day or so). The customer service was excellent. The gun is now spot on.

Do I like my S&W's ? Absolutely. Do I like my Charters? You bet I do, and wouldn't hesitate to purchase again, especially after touring their facility and speaking with them directly.

Good luck.

W_F

lee n. field

Already dropped them an email. Prior times they got right back to me, and I had gun back in hand in under two weeks.

I searched w/ g00gle on broken transfer bar, and most of the hits on the first page were to problems with Rugers, which surprised me.