Charter Arms Undercover Lite

reinert

Hello Forum Folks,

I've read where the 2" barreled, Charter Arms Undercover Lite revolver (.38 spcl.) can handle +P ammo, but the barrel length doesn't allow proper expansion of bullets in that classification. So, not reloading for the revolver, what ammo is best "off the shelf" for personal protection in a handgun such as this? Would 158 grn. round nose standard lead be a good choice?

I have a good friend who reloads for the .38 special, and he gave me a box of wad-cutter hand loads to try, which I haven't yet. He said they were pretty much target loads that worked well in his S&W .38 revolver. Though I don't remember the barrel length on his revolver, I know it was quite a bit longer than 2 inches.

Any info on the .38 special in the Charter lite would be helpful.

Thanks a bunch,

reinert

GEARHEAD_ENG

I can't comment on the best rounds for the Charter Arms snub, but you might look into Speer Gold Dot- 38 Special Short Barrel. These are made specifically to enhance performance and create less muzzle flash in snub nose revolvers.

The FBI load or "Chicago Load" for years was the 158grn LSWCHP +p. Bullet technology and testing have come a long way in 30 years. Many have found the modren loads perform and expand more reliability.

reinert

Thanks G_ENG,

I'll check out the Speer G Dots for short barrels that you mentioned. Interesting about the "Chicago Loads." I can only imagine the bullet description acronym for the FBI .38 round is: Lead Semi-Wad Cutter Hollow Point with a little (+) more heat added.

Thanks again,

reinert

tallball

I have read that round nosed lead is terrible.

This might be lame of me, but I feel comfortable with most "name brand" hollowpoints in 38 special.

Hitting where I am aiming at seems like a much more important factor to me, as opposed to relatively small differences in ammo effectiveness.

Last edited:

GEARHEAD_ENG

Thanks G_ENG,

I'll check out the Speer G Dots for short barrels that you mentioned. Interesting about the "Chicago Loads." I can only imagine the bullet description acronym for the FBI .38 round is: Lead Semi-Wad Cutter Hollow Point with a little (+) more heat added.

Thanks again,

reinert
No problem. You're correct on the nomenclature of the LSWCHP.

For some interesting ballistic tests, check out TNoutdoors9 on YouTube. I believe he has a test for the Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel.

Last edited:

reinert

Tall B,

The little Charter is pretty much a back-pack trip firearm. It weighs next to nothing as far as a firearm goes, and at 10 feet, it's amazingly accurate. Great grips, and easy to operate, especially for my wife. The factory 158 grn. lead, round nose cartridges were used to try the revolver out, and they worked quite well. You're absolutely right, accuracy is everything; if you're going to squeeze the trigger, you certainly want to hit your mark.

Again, I won't be hand-loading for this piece, so I figure I (or my wife) might as well have top-notch ammo for it. Hope the only things ever fired at with the little .38 is paper and pop cans. The lead round noses can be used for that, and the +P Gold Dots can be loaded for the trail.

G_Eng, I'll check out that website you posted. Thanks,

reinert

tallball

Thank you for your response. :)

IMHO 38 special with any kind of decent SD cartridge is effective enough. After that it's just about hitting what you're aiming at.

I practice in advance with any new 38 SD ammo. If it is hitting where I point, I am confident.

reinert

G_ENG,

Thanks for sending on the youtube info, TNoutdoors9. Great ammo info on short barreled revolvers. The Speer Gold Dot, Short Barrel ammo you suggested for my wife's Charter Arms .38 tested very well, as did the Buffalo Bore 158 grn. SWCs. Very well done info videos for sure. That little S&W model 438 used in all the testing I watched is indeed a pretty cool little revolver.

Great info! Thanks again!

reinert

Dave Chuppa

In all the latest tests they say all modern 38 special +P loads are close. I go by what has worked in actual shootings. The NYPD reported good results with Speer Gold Dot 135gr. 38+p. They allow their Officers to use this in their Off Duty and back up guns. There results in 2" & 4" guns worked so well that Other PDs have OKed it.