charter arms, how bad are their guns?

troy_mclure

my buddy's girl wants the purple charter arms .38spc revolver.

are these guns worth a look, or should he get a used gun and have it powder coated.

Nasty

Can't speak to the .38's as I have never owned one, but my *current production* (not Charco or Charter 2000) Bulldog Pug in .44 Special has over 2350 rounds of Speer 200gr Gold Dots through it and has been 100% reliable and still easily holds under 2" at 25 yards on the range. Nothing has loosened, failed or raised any concern over the couple of years I have owned it.

I carry it regularly for CCW and would buy another without hesitation.

*If* the .38's are of the same quality...I'd say go for it.

CajunBass

I've got an old Charter 38 from the 70's that is a fine revolver.

I haven't fired one of the new ones, but did look at them at the gun show last weekend. I'd buy one.

SwampYankee

Bad. At least mine is, here are the comments I made at least a year ago:

I bought my Police Undercover in .38 Special last year. It was made in Oct. 2008. It is identical to the Bulldog, same frame, it is just a .38 Special 6 shot instead of a .44 Special 5 shot.

I've posted this before but it had to go back to the factory TWICE.

1. The finish is awful. It looks like it had been finished with 60 grit sandpaper.

2. The first time it went back, it would not cycle. After 100 rounds, pulling the trigger was pointless. It just didn't work. This was the first trip to the factory and they replaced the pawl.

3. The barrel was cut improperly. CA uses subcontractors for all their parts and the CNC program to write the barrel was flat out wrong. This resulted in every shot being low and left. When it went back to the factory the second time, the filed down the sight and torqued the barrel. It shoots straight but they should have replaced the barrel. They did not.

4. Two of the chambers are so tight you generally can't get more than 30 rounds through the gun before it needs to be cleaned.

5. It regularly misfires. Factory ammo. Reloads. Whatever. The trigger pull is horrible, but there is no point in trying to fix it because the darn gun misfires all the time.

6. Took it out for giggles and a whole batch of reloads tumbled to the target. Popped 6 of them into my Speed Six and they worked perfectly.

I had a S&W Model 25-5 that had to go back to the factory. I bought it used and it had some bad push off. I'm not sure if it came that way or was modified by a users. I own 3 S&W's. Of those, one had a problem yet was still completely functional.

I personally will never buy a revolver again unless it says RUGER or SMITH & WESSON on the side of it. I'd certainly also be willing to buy a Freedom Arms but I've learned my lesson, you get what you pay for.

I've been slicking up the triggers on my revolvers and I measured the cylinder end gap on this particular weapon at 0.012". None of my other revolvers have a gap greater than 0.008" (my three Ruger sixes) and ) 0.004" (my Smith's). Now I know why the Charter Arms spits lead like it's going out of style....

virg

I bought the wife one of the "Pink Lady" models in .38spl around two years ago and so far it has been a great little gun. To date its had about 300rds of various factory +P and medium reloads put through it with no problems. Shoots to the point of aim and is very light weight. I would have to say buy one!

shooting4life

If that was all I could afford at the time then they are ok. I would rather save a little more and find something used from one of the major manufacturers

HappyHunting

My girlfriend is eyeing the 642 with the wood grips a good deal. The difference is about $100, and it is well worth it IMO.

Leejack

Lee - Make sure you read the rest of that thread and try to make a balanced decision.

Thanks Nasty, I certainly will.

If I've learned one thing in gun forums, it's that you must do your own research and go by your experience. Pick any gun out there and you can find someone who has a bad experience with it, yet others love it. Best example is the sigma. 100% reliable, 10 ring all day long up to 15 yards in the hands of a good shooter, easy and fun to shoot; yet it has taken so much abuse over the years; I love it!

Best to all,

Lee

Last edited:

aarondhgraham

the .38 undercover snubbie is a good gun,,,

My lady friend own a Charter Undercover .38 snubnose,,,
She shoots it regularly and it has given her no problems whatsoever.

By regularly I mean that every other weekend she goes to the range and pops 50 rounds for practice.

The trigger got real smooth after 500 rounds or so,,,
It's not the finest looking gun in the world,,,
But it's functionality is very high.

Hope this helps,,,

spacecoast

A friend has an older .38 Undercover that shoots well enough and would be fine for a carry gun. It's not as refined as a Smith but may be a bit smaller.

Checked specs and it looks like the CA at 16 oz. is 3.4 ounces lighter than the Smith Model 36. The aluminum version only weighs 12 oz.

RWBlue01

I think they have made some nice affordable guns and they have sold some absolute peaces of crap. Since they don't have QC, you will have to be QC. When you go to buy the gun, inspect it as if it was a used gun.

EdInk

FWIW as mentioned on several other "what snubbie to buy" type threads, Smith&Wesson has a $50 rebate on the Airweight j-frames until about the end of the year. (May want to double check the expiration date.)

If you shop around (even locally) you can find them for around $400. When you factor in the rebate it will only set you back about $350. That makes the S&W about the same/cheaper than a Taurus and about $50ish(?) than a Charter Arms.

I cannot even imagine a good reason (based on price) to buy something other than an Airweight S&W .38 j-frame, unless you just REALLY want to shoot .357 out of a <1lb snubbie.

stevieboy

I've fired a .38 Undercover. Not bad. The trigger was a bit stiff but not worse, actually, than what I've experienced with S & W J-frames such as their Model 60. The gun was accurate, shooting to POA. Of course, I wasn't actually target shooting with the gun, so much as blasting away at paper about 5 yards from where I stood. At the time I figured that that's what the gun was designed for. And, if so, it's a well-designed gun.