Charter Arms Bulldog review is published

Axelwik

You are very welcome.
Do you have any photos? What is your opinion of the Bulldog?

Photos? Well... it looks exactly like yours.

So far so good. The barrel is a little rough, so will probably try some fire-lapping; only because it leads with my cast bullets.

Today while out of town for business I found a very nice Stratford, CT Undercover from the 1970s, and picked it up for a couple C-notes. It seems pretty well-built.

Ozzieman

This is my Bulldog from the mid 80’s. I carried it for over 15 years and shot the 5 carry rounds every two weeks and no idea how many reloads. The only carry rounds I used were Winchester silver tips which I purchased several cases back when I was working in a gun store at the time.
In that time I have never shot anything heavier than 210 GR. The gun is still tight and shoots well. I retired it for carry years ago and went with a heavier gun but the bulldog is always the bedroom gun.
I know that there are better rounds than the silvertip but I have a lot of history with the round and still have several hundred factory. Also you can buy the Winchester bullet for reloading from Midway USA.
The other is a Taurus 455 in 44 SP
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/13...n-silvertip-hollow-point?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Last edited:

JERRYS.

I appreciate any and all reviews and videos of the new bulldogs, but does anyone shoot it D/A like they would in self defense? most videos I see are shot in S/A mode or if D/A mode there is a constant re-gripping of the gun after each shot and its done slowly.

Targa

Great review of a nice gun. I was just talking to a buddy of mine about his this morning , he loves it and has no intentions of letting it go.

JERRYS.

I just finished a deal for an old school bulldog .44. it will ship from out of state and be here in a few days. I can hardly wait.

Hunter0924

I did shoot it double action but accuracy suffered a bit, as expected.
The short video is when I was trying to get some kind of off hand group so I was trying for well aimed shots.
5 rounds in a hurry require a bit of practice to control easily but it is very effective.

deerslayer303

Hunter, Nice review on the Bull Dog, Another revolver I need to add to the collection. I don't currently own a big bore centerfire wheel gun. And well the price point on those are very attractive. Thank you

Dan-O

I think it was about two months. I had them mini bob and jewel the hammer, jewel and polish the trigger, and mill off the front sight and fit it with a self supplied XS Big Dot Sight.

gwalchmai

I have two examples of this fine revolver, both Stratford vintage, one 3" and one 2". I think a BigDot sight would be very nice on the 2" and may look into it.

I would recommend those of you who shoot these and other revolvers SA with a two-hand hold to learn to cock the hammer with your weak hand thumb. This results in a consistent grip with your strong hand, which all the subjects in the videos are failing to maintain. But really, these guns work fine in DA and anyone who plans to carry one should learn to operate in that mode exclusively.

Thanks for the review and videos.