Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Classic

Was just on the Charter Arms site and they're showing that they're going to bringing out a "classic" Charter Arms Bulldog .44.

Price, model, and release date are TBD, but it's apparently going to be the original configuration, with the unshrouded barrel and exposed ejector rod.

I may actually have to keep my eye out for one of these.

gunloony

FWIW that announcement has been on that site for well over a year with no changes.

I would like to have another original Bulldog if circumstances permit. I have always regretted donating my previous one to a burglar.

PetahW

You might wanna check out the finish description - IMO, it sounds like it might just be a blue-colored coating, and not blued carbon steel.

FWIW, I have a newer Stainless BD, that I like much better than the blued BD I had in the 70's - IMHO, it's much more controllable.

lowercase

I couldn't wait and just went out and got a nice older one.

My current production stainless Bulldog is still my EDC, though.

Chesster

I have seen these on the site for a while. Still have a trio of original 3", one chopped to 2". With Compac grips, still the best fist full of SD you can get less than a pound and a half. I recall my first one and the only ammo available was WW or RP 246gr LRN. The CABD was the reason I began to handload.

Theophilus

I believe the Classic .44 has been released already, about a year ago it was available through a few online retailers. It seems to be out of stock now, as far as I can tell. http://www.woodburyoutfitters.com/product_p/9595.htm
But my point is that it has been released, I do remember it being in stock at one point.
I've got my old one, so I haven't been able to justify this update... yet. :D

Mikef262

Rather than start a new thread on this I figured I would ask my question here. I got a Charter Arms Bulldog 3 inch stainless all original from a family member passing. It appears to never have been fired, and its tempting to shoot it this weekend after I'm done turkey hunting, and about to leave. I just want to know if there has been any problems with the older charter arms, so that I don't go and shoot and break it. It has nothing wrong with it at all. Like I said brand new looking. I just don't want to ruin something with sedimental value.

lowercase

Mike, I'd take it out and shoot it, provided that it passes the normal revolver check out. Any problems that the gun may have should present themselves at the range.

I recommend getting some cowboy action loads for the range. Also, check the screws to make sure they are tight. Charters are like old Harleys and you have to be vigilant about screws loosening. Locktite will fix any problems with screws. There are four screws to check: The one that holds the crane, the one on the side of the frame (this one usually is the biggest culprit), the one on the cylinder release, and the itty-bitty screw that the cylinder pushes in to lock into place. Of note, this small screw must only be screwed in flush with the frame, or your cylinder won't open.

I bought a vintage Bulldog, and it started binding up at the range. Turns out that it was simply carbon build up on the leading edge of the cylinder and the gun was fine.

Good luck with your Bulldog. Should be a good little gun.

lc

Last edited:

Dan-O

Nothing to be concerned about. Charters aren't build to withstand oodles of stout .44 special loads. If you don't roll your own you might want to look for some cowboy velocity loads.

Ozzieman

Lowercase is right about the screws but before you start cranking on them, make sure you have the proper sized driver. They are ease to mess up.
Also stay with rounds with bullets 220 GR or less weight. No +P’s. Cowboys are best.
I have one of the old stainless with the bobbed hammer. Great little gun.

Bart Noir

Several years back I bought a well-used early model all stainless CABD. And will not part with it. I just like it for the right steel and right size and right weight and right barrel length....but I'm preaching to the choir here, I suspect.

Anyway, it had issues and all but one are covered by the post from lowercase.

The pin above the trigger would move out during a range session. A bit of gentle peening convinced it to stay in place.

Bart Noir

Ozzieman

Chesster's right. The rubber grips are mandatory. Mine has Pachmayr’s grips and it really helps absorb recoil.
I’ve owned two bulldogs and I never shot ether with the original wooden grips, they fit my hands badly.

Last edited:

Deaf Smith

If Charter Arms would make a SERIOUS .44 Bulldog, that is high quality and bit more beefy construction I'd love one.

Now we are talking S&W quality of construction and materials. It can have a exposed ejector rod if only the whole gun is a bit thicker and stronger.

I never liked their thin bolt stops and one point lockup. And their ratchets are weak to.

If they would just fix those problems I'd love to have a 5 shot 2 inch barrel .44 snub!

Deaf

Mikef262

Very sad news....
First off I carpool with my buddy, so we don't have to waste as much gas.

I worked late, and he was at my house waiting for me.
I hurried home, and loaded all my stuff up into his car as fast as I could.
Got down here last night, and realize my bulldog and the box of 44 special is laying on my counter still... Very upset.