Charter Arms .44 special

would you buy a brand new Charter Arms .44 special ?

• yes

Votes: 29 45.3%
  • no

Votes: 35 54.7%

• Total voters

Larry C.

No!!

Howdy,

I bought a Charter Arms .44 Bulldog Pug and it didn't work! I actually used this for lawful concealed carry for a spell! until one day the cylinder wouldn't turn. No thanks.

Larry C.

Ca 44

I just bought one several weeks back($307+tax for the SS) and have run about thirty rounds through it with no mechanical problems. My reloads leaving residule pwdr did cause the spent cases from wanting to be ejected(I'm working on this). Accuracy was good at around 15 feet and at 25' all rounds hit CM(could be the shooter). Even though first impression is that the gun is cheaply made it seems to do well so far. I plan to run a lot of rounds through it to see how it holds up.
There are some good reviews on the net, GunBlast.com, ect.
I think it will be a keeper. Good CCW with factory ammo.
Another good 44spl is the Taurus 445 2". I found one used and it shoots real well .Taurus has discontinued this model.
My vote is yes.

Ozzieman

I voted no

But I do have two in the safe. I pick up a look alike Mod 36 smith (don’t remember the model number) back in the 80’s and the Stainless bulldog during the same time. Several years earlier I picked up a used bulldog that was loose and shot to heck. It functioned very well and I used it to get used to recoil in small revolvers before I picked up the new Stainless.
The bulldog I have carried more than any gun that I have ever owned and that includes Glock 26, PPKs and a safe full of 1911’s.
The stainless is a great gun with lots of energy in a very small package, it’s a hard gun to beat.
But with that said I did pick up a new Charter arms 2000 bulldog several weeks ago at the gun shop and the best way to compare it to the old one that I have is to take mine and fill it full of sand and glue and it would still be better than the new 2000.
If you can find an older gun made in the 80 or 90’s for a good price pick it up. Other than that, stay away.

Edward429451

Hmm. I voted yes because I'd like to compare it to my mid 80's Bulldog (non pug 2.5"), but that's before I read ozzie's post. Now I'm not so sure. And at 300 bucks, I could get a nice old J frame.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Once bitten, twice shy.

A nickel Bulldog Pug was probably the least satisfactory firearm I've ever owned. It shot loose in no time flat, big chunks of nickel flaked off, and the cylinder release screw would back out under recoil in just a couple cylinders worth of shooting.

In retrospect, I probably could have extended its lifespan if I'd limited the rounds used to 200 grain loadings and avoided 240gr bullets.

garry owen

I bought a stainless model about a year ago and it functions fine. Not real nice finish wise but it has gone bang every time I pulled the trigger, and is fairly accurate.

wixedmords

I would have to make that decision on a gun-per-gun basis.

I am rather fond of the older ones, but have heard too much bad about the new ones.

Renfield

I was tempted to buy one until I read this

A nickel Bulldog Pug was probably the least satisfactory firearm I've ever owned. It shot loose in no time flat, big chunks of nickel flaked off, and the cylinder release screw would back out under recoil in just a couple cylinders worth of shooting.

In retrospect, I probably could have extended its lifespan if I'd limited the rounds used to 200 grain loadings and avoided 240gr bullets.

I still get tempted though

fastbolt

No.

Already owned a pair of NIB Charter Arms .44 Bulldogs, one blued & one stainless.

Not going down that road again ...

Edited to clarify that mine were middle/late 80's vintage models, although I still wouldn't consider revisiting the line again unless it was redesigned to be stronger and more robust. I think the earlier .38 Undercover was a better gun, although I wouldn't necessarily do a lot of shooting with one. Still mostly what might charitably be considered a less expensive, fair quality alternative to the M36.

Last edited:

warwagon

I had a partner that carried one in the 70s, and he was well satisfied with it. As to the current vintage, I have not had any experience to base a judgment, on, but I will defer to Tamara, and fastbolt's opinions.

For now at least, I will stay with the Rossi 720c!

Last edited:

marano

I had one of the new ones about two years ago....

and it sucked. It shot about six inches right of point of aim. It felt very light and cheaply made. I ordered a set of the wood grips and the screw would not hold them together. I quickly sold it for a great loss and still felt good about getting rid of it. I understand that the ones from years ago were pretty well made. In fact I once had a .38 Charter that I used as a back up weapon and it was well made, but it was also of the older vintage.

Renfield

Looks like you made a good choice.

thanks..in other news I've been wanting to buy a .22 magnum revolver and Charter is one of the few that actually makes one still..along with Taurus..neither of which I really want to pay good money for