Charter Arms 38 Special

jeff_troop

i have that same pistol in stainless and i really like it. it is my carry gun. works perfect and is accurate out to about 45 feet. haven't shot any farther. get some pach grips and you will really like the feel in your hand.

now you will hear from the people who dislike charter...... :)

Rich636

^^ That would be me. Have one sitting broken in a drawer. Too many problems to make it worth getting fixed. It was purchased in 1999, I don't know if the standard of quality has changed since then. It's probably hit or miss, and mine was a miss.

I've not been at all impressed with any of the newer iterations of Charter Arms revolvers that came after the original company folded back in the late 1980s/early 1990s.

Those from the original company, however, are good guns. Not great, but good, certainly better than their Rossi or Taurus counterparts from the same time frame.

defjon

Thanks for the responses guys...

Do you know if the one pictured in the link is from the older original company then?

Davy Jones

yep, the newer charter2000 models. I had a .44 special that couldn't handle 240 grain loads. Seemed to do okay w/ 200 grain loads but I misfired alot. I guess I could have put some time into it and worked out the issues but I ended up selling it..

magsnubby

The original Charter Arms were nice little guns. A little crude by S&W standards but they were reliable little guns. Between my dad and myself we owned quit afew of the original Charter Arms guns. We put thousands of rounds through those little guns. They never failed.

The original Charter Arms went out of business. It wasn't a quality issue but a lack of sales because of the hi-capicity 9mm craze. All the manufactures suffered from a lack of revolver sales.

The second incarnation (Charco) was nowhere near the quality of the original Charter Arms. The company went under pretty quick.

The third incarnation (Charter 2000) got off to a bad start. Quality control was hit or miss. They filed chapter 11. It's really to bad. The guns had great potential.

Lou22

I bought a new Undercover 38 for $168 plus shipping a couple months ago from a gun dealer selling off everything at cost. I've had no problems with it whatsoever. This one has the hammer spur so is not ideal for CC but I sometimes do anyhow because it is so light. It's amazingly easy to shoot accurately single action at the range. Recoil is minimal with the 158gr lead RN's. On the company's website they say it's okay to shoot +Ps every once in a while so when I carry I've got 158gr SWCHPs.

So far I've got about 300 rounds through it. Overall a fun to shoot little gun.

Lou